Red the 91 CBR1000f didn't want to start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I was amazed when Red started after about 5+ months of sitting around after my brother Kim last rode it back in Nov 2015. This time it wasn't so happy after me letting it sit for more than a month? after riding it only about 30ks. I tried starting it and it was obvious that the battery hadn't recovered properly after its last start and short ride. I hooked it up to the battery charger and fully charged the AGM battery. It tested at 205cca which is not too bad and finally started after struggling to get fuel up.
[video]https://youtu.be/tAEsLKlN3zM[/video]

Time for a battery tender, I have the same trouble after a long sit and a short ride..I have one in a box somewhere.
Been way to hot to ride here in mid America.

Apparently not all the battery chargers/tenders are made the same.
My XS750 had been hooked up to cheapo tender from CycleGear.
The other day I tried to start the engine. Starter turned fine but no joy.
Typical XS behavior when the battery is weak.
I kick-started it (yes, it still got kick starter) and started fine.
With a proper tender with sulfation removal feature, the battery appears to be okay.

Needless to say, I threw away that d@mned tender.

After working in the marine industry for quite some time I am not a huge fan of constant charging batteries ( we are in a fairly hot climate ) I prefer them to be cycled more and when they get down give them a proper multi stage charge before using them. To fully charge Red's battery it took just over an hour with my Schumacher 15amp charger set to its middle setting ( I think around the 8amps but who knows for sure as it is a "smart charger " ), it also has a recovery mode ( sad face) if a battery is sulphated. :)

On another note I rode Red Friday afternoon for a few beverages then over to a mates house for a few more with dinner. :salute:
I then navigated the dreaded driveway around 9pm without any incidents ( bike going to sleep etc). The same could not be said about yesterday's ride to Springwood Suzuki then the Logan Hyperdome for coffee. When leaving the Hyperdome with my mate behind me on his CB1300, I managed to make Red fall asleep right as we were getting ready to merge into traffic. By the time I was clear of Red and just starting to haul here upright my mate Pete was already helping. A quick reposition of the gearsack and a bruised pride adjustment and we were on our way. I still don't know what happened but I do struggle to get my left leg on and off the foot peg with my crook hip. I guess I should of already had it off the peg before I needed it. :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179131#p179131:29qthrj7 said:
Ansimp » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:12 pm[/url]":29qthrj7]
On another note I rode Red Friday afternoon for a few beverages then over to a mates house for a few more with dinner. :salute:
I then navigated the dreaded driveway around 9pm without any incidents ( bike going to sleep etc). The same could not be said about yesterday's ride to Springwood Suzuki then the Logan Hyperdome for coffee. When leaving the Hyperdome with my mate behind me on his CB1300, I managed to make Red fall asleep right as we were getting ready to merge into traffic. By the time I was clear of Red and just starting to haul here upright my mate Pete was already helping. A quick reposition of the gearsack and a bruised pride adjustment and we were on our way. I still don't know what happened but I do struggle to get my left leg on and off the foot peg with my crook hip. I guess I should of already had it off the peg before I needed it. :head bang:

wedoo2":29qthrj7 said:
Not sure if I got that right but you got drunk and had a wreck?

:hihihi: :hihihi: :ahem: Had to go all the way around by Susie's house for that to come out, :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :salute: :salute:

Sorry Tony, I have to pre-plan the moves with my feet off the pegs also so I know what your speaking of, it comes with the territory.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179382#p179382:1zthxhm0 said:
wedoo2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:06 pm[/url]":1zthxhm0]
Not sure if I got that right but you got drunk and had a wreck?
I don't think that I was intoxicated 16 hours after having half a dozen drinks and two feeds.
I was trying to figure out how I could ride up my driveway in the dark after a few drinks but not manage to stay upright during the next day in perfect conditions. :doh:

Latest posts