Made a trailer hitch GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a lot of Markland hitches on Ebay and wanted to be more confident in the connection to the bike. No I have never heard of one coming off...but if you're going to worry, do something about it. I used 3/4" square tubing cause that's what was available that day at the supplier!
Welded connecting ears to the ends for the passenger peg bolts, bolted 'em on, and started bending. (HF pipe bender)
Install, use ruler and marker and eyeball it, remove, bend a little,... repeat...many,many,many,times.

My bag mounts aren't level from side to side so this hitch is for these mounts only!
It always surprises me how easy the hand-held scroll saw cuts through 1/4" steel plate!. Painted with duplicolor to match the engine case.

sorry the pics are a little fuzzy, I should use the real camera for this stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2204small.jpg
    IMG_2204small.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2196small.jpg
    IMG_2196small.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 288
Nice work! The two U bolts on the hitch in the picture where you have it installed... where do those go?

Also, the Markland hitch is a lot stronger than it appears. I thought the same thing the first time I looked at one but once I got it bolted in place securely, I changed my mind.

Brian (i'll be in pa next week!) Those ubolts are actually to hex head bolts welded next to a u-shaped saddle for the bag mount frame to sit in. This ties the hitch rails to the rear seat area of the frame. It is supposed to support vertical loads along with the tab bolted to the rear bumper connection.
I never saw a Markland hitch up close so I had to guess on some details.

Attachments

• IMG_2199small.jpg
    IMG_2199small.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2205small.jpg
    IMG_2205small.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 210

Latest posts