Got a line on another basket case.....somebody stop me

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made an excuse to stop at my local cycle shop just because. I'm not off the Wing before the guy that pulled in ahead of me starts asking about it. :BigGrin: Tells me he sold one (80s vintage) to a guy he works with a year ago, he hasn't done anything with it and might be interested in selling it. :BigGrin: We swap numbers. Wife will kill me but..... I can't pass up a deal on a titled, non-running Wing now, can I? Even if I just get it running and flip it, it's for a good cause, right? Reviving a poor neglected Goldwing, you guys are with me, right?

Sure! Go for it! Plenty of options to make it a much different bike than the one you just started riding.

I'm encouraged that these are still fairly easy to find but that won't last forever. I did dream of doing a second one as a bobber. GWs can make badass looking bobbers.

Don't do it:

IMG_4392.JPG

All Four!.JPG

Guys, can't you see this poor man is sick? Don't you know that encouragement will lead him down the same tortuous path many of us are on (or have taken)? Surely you realize the jeopardy you're placing his marriage in? His kids' college fund...or inheritance? Can't you see he's crying for help? Haven't we all seen the dazed look of a man who's spent another late night in the garage and gone to work on too little sleep? Or the same man who has to make lame excuses to the boss for leaving early - when, in fact, he's meeting a guy to pick up a hard-to-find 4 cylinder Goldwing part?

So Chuck, did you call the guy yet or what ??

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182595#p182595:2jxsig08 said:
brianinpa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 pm[/url]":2jxsig08]
Chuck, have at it! Buy every one in our area so I don't feel the need to buy any more...

I oughta make you and mcgovern chip in!

We could help you by putting grease on the soles of your shoes to help you slide into the deal.

The only problem with buying and resuscitating a Goldwing is how do you let go of it when you're done. In the last 4 years, I've bought 6 wings; all were not running or needed much TLC. 5 of them are still here, with 4 of them running well. The 84I is a donor, so it probably won't see the road again.

Buying one is easy; letting it go is hard.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182598#p182598:3md56w0a said:
chuck c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 am[/url]":3md56w0a]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182595#p182595:3md56w0a said:
brianinpa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:59 pm[/url]":3md56w0a]
Chuck, have at it! Buy every one in our area so I don't feel the need to buy any more...

I oughta make you and mcgovern chip in!
We did! We are chipping in our encouraging words! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182602#p182602:2youx1t4 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:48 am[/url]":2youx1t4]
The only problem with buying and resuscitating a Goldwing is how do you let go of it when you're done. In the last 4 years, I've bought 6 wings; all were not running or needed much TLC. 5 of them are still here, with 4 of them running well. The 84I is a donor, so it probably won't see the road again.

Buying one is easy; letting it go is hard.
That's some truth-speak right there. 2 summers ago- same year I got this one, I bought 2 more in a package. I wanted to keep the runner but didn't have room and promised the wife I'd flip it. My profit was the no-title parts bike which has been darned useful. The fairing, bags, crash bars, and many small bits are or will be on this one.

And there's an old 1976 14 foot trihull boat out back waiting for my attention, so I remind myself of that every time I think of taking on another bike project.

Latest posts