Goldwings are Good Therapy

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do some of my best thinking when I'm riding. Today, my baby sister went into hospice care for terminal cancer. She has been battling for two years and really gave it a go. Proud of her. Strength and dignity. But, she's 2000 miles away and, really, all I can do is wait - then buy the plane ticket. We had a party last month (recall the exotic cars) and that was a blessing.

Anyway, today after I heard she'd gone into hospice, I had to do some thinking. I took off from work and jumped onto the old '78 and headed out into the desert. It's a big desert down here. Sometimes it's flat, but sometimes it's hilly, too. Often, one right after the other. Like today.

Headed west on Hwy 238 between Maricopa and Gila Bend it looks a lot like this much of the way:
IMG_4451.JPG

Then it starts to curl up as you get into the hills.
IMG_4458.JPG

As I had pulled over here admiring the absolute silence, I heard sirens and saw flashing lights. In the, no kidding, middle of nowhere. Here's what came down the road. AZ Hwy 238 in the middle of nowhere:
IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

Big honkin' helicopter. There were a couple of other trucks - I guess with the rest of the bird. I'm not a big 'copter guy, so I don't know what it was. I know it was big.

Then I headed home. My head no less confused, but somehow better. 180 miles of therapy.
IMG_4457.JPG

Sometime riding washes the worries away.

Prayers for your family at this time.

I think that is a V-22 or the earlier version because helo's don't have a tail like that.

when i was caring for my first wife in the last year of her life ...when i wasnt taking total care of her and she was having a good moments id would ride ride ride ...it was good to keep me strong ...

Thanks guys. It was good to just get out. And, Brian, you are absolutely right. I looked it up. V-22 Osprey. That must have been what was in the other trucks. The rest of the bird.

By the way, here's a cute shot of my sis, a couple of years ago when she was out visiting. I took her for a ride out into the desert. She had a ball!
IMG_0375.JPG

Good luck to you and your sister. Great rides and photos, especially the one of your sister. :good:

Thanks for the sentiments, guys. Truly appreciated. Funny how humans feed off the good will of others. There's lots of good will here. I think I knew that when I posted.

She passed this morning. She's done fighting that horrid disease. Contribute to cancer research. It touches us all. To put this in perspective, her husband (my brother-in-law) passed away JUST OVER A WEEK AGO (10/16) from cancer! They were sick together. But, before all that, they lived a crazy fun, fast-paced life. Pedal to the metal. (Seriously).

We're off to North Carolina to say goodbye. Don't be sad. I'm really not. They've both finished their noble fight against a bitter enemy. I prefer to remember the incredible times we (and especially they) had:
20151107_185942.jpg

Pref 4a.jpg

Incredible coincidence that they both were taken by cancer and within weeks of each other. I hope that you can celebrate the wonderful parts of your sisters' life when you head to NC to say your final farewell.

everything happens for a reason , its hard to see or understand most of the time..... but. . there IS a reason , and you had the pleasure and good luck of knowing them while they was with you . just be thankful to the Lord for That. and the Lord will Bless You for it .

I'd really like to thank everyone for the kind comments. We are still in North Carolina and she has been laid to rest. Those two travelled the world and lived very comfortably. But their story underscores the fragility of life and the fact that money can't do anything about human frailty!

Never, ever say, "one of these days, I'm going to XYZ". Do it! So, get out there and ride those Goldwings! I'm going through withdrawal over here - no garage puttering or riding. We're leaving Tuesday.

Sincere, heartfelt thanks to one and all, once again.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183084#p183084:aw4pzvzn said:
desertrefugee » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 am[/url]":aw4pzvzn]
Never, ever say, "one of these days, I'm going to XYZ". Do it! So, get out there and ride those Goldwings! .
+1 :yes: :good: :moped:

Latest posts