Dual sport- Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I'm getting the itch back to explore the 100's of miles of mountain trails and fire roads we have here so looking at the options for my son and I.

Price wise I've narrowed to Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki 650 models. I rode a Kaw KLR 650 a few years ago and liked torque, seat and stance but I'm wondering about opinions from others here may have tried or own other models.

The Honda I think has just a 2.5 gallon tank and air cooled. Not sure if water cooled would be cooler riding in the heat or not.
KLR has over a 5 gallon tank but it's 80-90 lbs heavier without fuel than the Honda is with a full tank. I need to look closer at the Suzuki.

I love the idea of that riding, but my back would never be able to handle any off-road anymore. Any pics of the bikes you are looking at?

image.php

image.php

image.php

I'm not really a fan of any one brand. I have enjoyed various bikes of all these brands. You might be best to search any problems associated with each of these choices and choose the one that has the fewest issues that fits you most comfortably.

I can't speak about anything that you are looking for, but I can say that the KLR kept up with Gerry and I when we were hammering through West Virginia/Kentucky on our way to Joe's place. It has to have a tall high gear because we were doing 80 when we passed him and he just kept with us for a long while.

Myself, I'd love to do it, but my body is no longer made for those bikes. :shock:

when we did the lower great lakes IBA ride we took lightningjack on his klr 650 with our group. couzinjeff has had a couple of klr's that I know of. I don't see me doing much off road riding unless the dirt is packed pretty good and things don't get too exciting. I'm leaning more to an adv bike so the bmw r 1200gsa is #1 on my list

Looked at KTM 500 EXC? Might be wrong price range. Several riders state that this thing is so much better than a KLR or most anything, for off road

KTM too much $.

Went to a couple dealers yesterday. They had all 3 brands.

I like the increased suspension travel of the Honda but the 2.1 gallon tank is a deal breaker for me. One place I like to go is 80-100 miles round trip to gas and I'm not going to carry a gas can so I can ride the bike.

Same small tank on Suzuki.

All 3 brands are so close to the same feel for me so it looks like Kawasaki it is, 6 gallon tank. It's heavier than the Honda but nothing compared to the Goldwings so that's a non issue for me.

Waiting on a dealer call back.

I once had a yamaha 600 tenere in the 80s, with place for some gallons, light bike, big suspension travels, i loved it. New bikes are most to heavy and road oriented.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186903#p186903:1v5f2j39 said:
slabghost » 35 minutes ago[/url]":1v5f2j39]
That is a fun looking ride. Don't let it beat you up.
I'll be beating the asphalt and dirt no question.

Latest posts