Trying To Figure Out A Kickstand Mod For My GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozrotheclown

Reaction score
After about the second day I was riding and everything was looking pretty good on the bike, I went out to start it for a ride and I thought someone rode by in a mosquito spraying truck...LOL. Anyway, after a little research I found out about the open left valve that sometimes will stop in the open position with some of the oil seeping into the left cylinder on the GL 1000 (the bike doesn't have a center stand).

After that I would pull out a large pipe wrench and put the side stand foot onto the pipe wrench handle thereby raising the level of the bike to very close to level and Wala! the bike stopped the smoking on start up.

I was wondering if anyone has created any add-on mods to the kickstand the raises the bike up some when the kickstand is down?

Thanks,

Danny

well they sure need one ....the best thing out there for a wing is a front ride off stand ...there wide and hold bike level and very easy to use ...have no idea why they quit making them or didnt incorporate this in other bikes ...im very glad to have one ..

Yep, you can see it Joe's pic his ride off stand. I have one on my 1100. It was made by Bates and they show up on ebay every once in a while.

image.php

image.php

BTW. it isn't only oil that causes the smoke from leaning on the side stand. On my 1100, it was gas leaking from the carbs because the float valves were not sealing.

Iirc, they do make extended kickstands that set the bike more upright than stock.
That being said, I always carried a short piece of 2x4 for my 1100 for when I parked it in the shop. I couldn't get it down off the center stand on the painted floors(it just skidded forward), so I used the 2x4, and just left it on the side stand. The 2x4 put it almost vertical, but not so much it was in danger of tipping over the other direction. :builder:

The problem with a longer kickstand, or placing the stock one on a 2x4 is that if your tire goes flat overnight, your bike will be forced to the non-kickstand side and will flop over. If you park it in your garage next to the wall, it can't go far.

To stop the smoking, shut the bike off sitting straight up. Lean the bike to your right until your legs tell you, "Whoa,boy." Hold it there until your legs say, "Quit it." Then put it on the sidestand. What this does is allow the oil in the 2-4 cylinders to drain out. When the motors hot, it doesn't take long. If you just put on the sidestand and then turn it off, oil will be trapped by gravity on the underside of the piston. If the ring gaps happen to be lined up, when they cool, they separate and the oil drains into the combustion chamber killing a few mosquitos on your next startup and embarrassing you in front of the big twin crowd. This works for all my Wings. YMMV

It's not likely to be a valve leaking. If it was, you would be adding a lot of oil. On the same note, many Wing owners find keeping the oil no higher than the middle line maintains adding no oil from change to change. Whereas, being prudent and bringing it up to the top line just burns or blows out quickly to the half line. Mine will lose 1/2 quart in 500 miles if it's filled to the top. Uses virtually none after that.

Do you have a welder? :headscratch: You could cut & extend it, or leave like it is, then just weld an extension with a little bigger flat on the end. :salute:

I don't have a welder but I think I have something coming from ebay that may work. It is .9 inch thick so hopefully with little or no mods I may get this stuck on the bottom of the stand.

Attachments

• Kickstand Pad.jpg
    Kickstand Pad.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 167
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187219#p187219:6jca82lt said:
skiri251 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am[/url]":6jca82lt]
Can anyone show me how ride off stand work or better yet a design drawing?
I want to make one for mine.

:popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187219#p187219:huxkhdex said:
skiri251 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am[/url]":huxkhdex]
Can anyone show me how ride off stand work or better yet a design drawing?
I want to make one for mine.
Best I can explain is, the frame rigidly attaches to the bikes frame and in the cylinder section is a spring and pin that works against the movable section. The spring is strong enough to hold the stand up tight against the frame while riding.

To put the bike up on the stand is done very similar to the regular centerstand. Hold bike with left hand, foot on centerstand and roll the bike back. The stand sets up with very little effort. When ready to go, warm up the bike, set your feet on the footpegs, let out the clutch in first gear and the stand rolls back as the bike goes forward.

image.php

image.php

Thanks for the info!

>To put the bike up on the stand is done very similar to the regular centerstand. Hold bike with left hand, foot on centerstand and roll the bike back.

So that means you keep the stock center stand and use it but not all the way. Just enough for Bates to engage?

> When ready to go, warm up the bike, set your feet on the footpegs, let out the clutch in first gear and the stand rolls back as the bike goes forward.

So this means that if parked downhill, there is a possiblity the stand rolls back with gravity. Tranny should be put in the first gear to prevent it?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187231#p187231:22ijpths said:
skiri251 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 pm[/url]":22ijpths]
Thanks for the info!

>To put the bike up on the stand is done very similar to the regular centerstand. Hold bike with left hand, foot on centerstand and roll the bike back.

So that means you keep the stock center stand and use it but not all the way. Just enough for Bates to engage?
No. You are doing all of the above to the ride off stand. Center stand works in the same fashion but is not used to operate the ride off stand.

> When ready to go, warm up the bike, set your feet on the footpegs, let out the clutch in first gear and the stand rolls back as the bike goes forward.

So this means that if parked downhill, there is a possiblity the stand rolls back with gravity. Tranny should be put in the first gear to prevent it?
Correct.

Latest posts