06 BMW r1200 GS engine swap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
My next door neighbour bought his Dad's r1200GS about 12 months ago for $10K aud. He now has 83K kilometres on it and too it to Motorline BMW complaining on a slight engine knock. $800 later and they had installed a new timing chain. He took it back about a month later and they pulled the left head off and said that there was too much piston slap and big end float. $11K for a reconditioned engine or $14.5K for a new engine installed. They wanted to charge him $700 just to put it back together to trailer it home, he negotiated that down to $300. He has purchased a 38K kilometre engine from the wreckers for about $2K delivered. I am doing the engine swap for him at a reasonable price hopefully. I have discovered that I need to wind up with the rear frame and suspension removed, then the front suspension leaving the engine in the middle ( the frame is 2 seperate components joining on the engine). :doh:
Everything is pretty much Torx bits and I need to get a couple of larger ones for tomorrow to finish separating the rear, then the front.

Don't know about missed services etc, but wouldn't imagine that it had been abused. Maybe just too much warm weather for it, I am also dubious about the original bottom end knock. I didn't get the chance to listen to it so who knows. The $3K aud for the abs/suspension unit at 63K kilometres would of been enough for me to get rid of the bike and not to a family member or mate. :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189771#p189771:1whxqjuh said:
Ansimp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 pm[/url]":1whxqjuh]
Don't know about missed services etc, but wouldn't imagine that it had been abused. Maybe just too much warm weather for it, I am also dubious about the original bottom end knock. I didn't get the chance to listen to it so who knows. The $3K aud for the abs/suspension unit at 63K kilometres would of been enough for me to get rid of the bike and not to a family member or mate. :doh:
sounds like the bike came with esa and not the standard suspension setup, from talking with guys that have bmw's with esa it is very expensive to repair or replace. problem is that some bmw dealers only get bikes that are fully loaded

Read an article where the GW was still the premier touring machine followed closely by the BMW 1600. In maintenance however, the HD, then the BMW and then the GW. Proprietary information keeps the BMW dealerships going. Nice bikes but having to always take it to the dealership isn't my cup of tea. BMW does have a good following.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189814#p189814:3gzap0y8 said:
slabghost » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:32 pm[/url]":3gzap0y8]
Oh goody. And hope the replacement runs.
+1
I wish I could run it before putting it all back to together.

Not really easy to work on, :nea: is the information i've been told, by a very knowledgeable wrench :heat: that seems to own at least one of everything. :hihihi:

We have success!! :party: :yahoo:
The second hand engine is a winner and the bike goes like a champion. No left over bits and only a couple of bolts needed replacing, not bad considering the left hand head and barrel had been pulled by the BMW dealer. Owner is ecstatic to have his bike back and rideable.
[video]https://youtu.be/Bka-4iOL8Sg[/video]

Latest posts