Some plans- try what you like

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
Okay plan 1.
81 been sitting for years. Head gasket leaked. Clean carb rack. Advance crank pulley for additional cam timing. Make aluminum paper head gaskets from flashing and felpro gasket material part number 3047. Install 1200 heads and cams.

Plan 2. 84 standard- install 1100 heads and early cams.Darkside the rear. Modify ignition timing weights to gain a few degrees advance. SCC with VW 1 barrel solex carb.

Plan 3. 80 vetter dresser. Early cams. SCC stovebolt carb. Alter ignition ? Service brakes and replace both tires and wheels.

Plans are subject to change from input here and further thought. Do NOT hold your breath for any of these. I'm slower than Moses and have 5 other bikes two trucks and two cars to fix or repair. Feel free to borrow any of these plans. Once I start on one I'll start a separate thread for it. Feel free to discuss these plans and add ideas here.
:thanks:

To boldly go where few have gone before... #1.

The 1200 motor with early heads/cams have been done by a few, but I don't know where I have read that the opposite is true. What would that benefit be aside from getting the hydraulic lifters?

I'd like to see the copper head gaskets tried that way, and also been curious for years about putting 1200 heads on an 1100 and if the hydro adjusters could handle the early 1000 cams.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189853#p189853:3is7oi2t said:
brianinpa » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 am[/url]":3is7oi2t]
To boldly go where few have gone before... #1.

The 1200 motor with early heads/cams have been done by a few, but I don't know where I have read that the opposite is true. What would that benefit be aside from getting the hydraulic lifters?

Benefit? I'm not really sure. Dan tried the 1200 cams in his 1100 and got pretty high compression. So I'm thinking in the 1200 heads they may add more power to the 1100 motor. Run quiet. And possibly improve mpg. Opening valve reliefs on the pistons would allow earlier cams to be tried at some point as well. Mixing up the parts on hand to improve on each model is something I just want to do.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189855#p189855:2m1gf8k2 said:
dan filipi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:05 am[/url]":2m1gf8k2]
I'd like to see the copper head gaskets tried that way, and also been curious for years about putting 1200 heads on an 1100 and if the hydro adjusters could handle the early 1000 cams.

Shouldn't be any real difference in gaskets made up this way using copper or aluminum. My choice to start with aluminum is purely financial. Aluminum is much cheaper.

ok my thought is ..a 1200 motor has more oil and coolant flow ....to me the deal is ..did they change that cause the 1200 heads need more oil flow ?...or is it cause the 1200 has smaller radiator and needs coolant flow ? or both ..possible no do concerns

#2) If for no other reason than happier highway gearing.

I always like being at cruising altitude, looking down and seeing that the engine is just loafing along. Buzzing at 4K+ (even though OK on a wing) just seems a little too busy to me.

I was asked my reasoning for using metal at all in the gaskets. I suppose it really isn't a must. I figure it adds stability where the gasket has smaller passages than the components acting as a sort of restricter plate. It will also act as an additional heat sink protecting the gasket material from hot spots. Finally I believe it will act as a pressure equalizer to both sheets of gasket material forming each side to fill whatever slight irregularities.
Any more thoughts on why it's a good or bad idea?

so this will be gasket ply ..metal ... gasket ply ...i really think this should really be rather easy to do ...even putting in a fire ring for the pistons is not out of the ?..backyard head gaskets is a big deal it sees to me ...

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=189867#p189867:9958fbr3 said:
desertrefugee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:21 pm[/url]":9958fbr3]
#2) If for no other reason than happier highway gearing.

I always like being at cruising altitude, looking down and seeing that the engine is just loafing along. Buzzing at 4K+ (even though OK on a wing) just seems a little too busy to me.

I'm rethinking this position. I can be wishy washy. With one of the absolute last blasts of Spring (high 80F today) I and a buddy took a morning ride into the desert. About 150 mile loop including lunch. You probably know that low SW desert roads don't curve much. But the scenery is decent. At some points, we were cruising at nearly 80. A GL1000 is spinning a solid 4500-4700 RPM in those conditions. Busy? Sure it is. But, it is very happy there and would likely do it until we got to New Orleans. I guess my point is that revs don't really matter with this engine design. Piston speed is still maybe half way to the "danger zone".

So, SG. I suppose your A,B,C choice depends on what sort of duty you'd like to get out of the machine. Touring, commuting, sporting about or experimenting. Truth is, any one of the three would work for any one of those categories. Sheesh. No wonder you were looking for opinions on the path to take.

Good luck. I'm tapping out.

Each plan is for a separate bike. So not really choosing one. Just announcing plans for discussion and others may want to borrow an idea or two. Or maybe someone has a cool while you're at it idea.

Latest posts