Goldwing Obsolesence

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been noticing that there is an increasing amount of forum traffic regarding issues and fixing of GL1500 and GL1800. Also had a discussion with a used GW parts supplier and he mentioned that he would be concentrating on the GL1500 and GL1800 as there is not as much value in catering to the GL1000/GL1100/GL1200, or availability of parts.

I was asked by my partner why I just don't stay with my 1800, it's newer (I really like and enjoy riding my 1200). From perusing the various forums it is evident that the GL1500 and GL1800 are at or quickly approaching the same maintenance and work issues as the GL1000/GL1100/GL1200.

I was at the local GWRRA coffee a couple of Fridays ago and almost all have GL1800s. GL1500 and older weren't even mentioned.

I guess this is to be expected as the GL1500 at the oldest is 30 years old (from 1988 to 2000 - 12 years) , and the GL1800 at the oldest is only 15 years old. This is a long time for a specific model run. Don't know what Honda will come out with to maybe replace the GL1800; however the power plant and drive train is fairly bulletproof so a remake of the GL1800 may be in order - maybe something to take on that 750 lb rocket that BMW has - the GL1600.

My partner also asked why I would put in new parts. It is my opinion that we as a society do not keep anything long enough to have do work such as replacing the steering stem bearings. I imagine the GL1550, not so much the GL1800 as of yet, may start to see mods that are work arounds for obsolescence issues that are sure to come up more often such as the fuel sending unit mod that has been done and documented over the GWDocs forum.

Most riders I know keep their bikes for a few years and replace with a new/newer bike before any of this work needs to be done. The majority of the work I have done to my '85 LTD may/will never have to be done by myself again; however, I am still looking forward to getting some 400,000 Kms (250,000 miles) on this bike without an engine rebuild - have a lot of riding to do. I also enjoy working on my bike.

I digress, started this thread to solicit your opinions on what I see as a trend regarding GWs and if any have noticed the same in their area.

Cheers

The trend pretty much applies to all vehicles. There is also the same tendency for groups like us to keep those vehicles running. Makes more sense to us to spend a few hundred bucks and some time to keep what we have than to buy new and make payments. Different values and abilities. I have neighbors who haven't had any vehicles older than 3 years. I on the other hand have had only one that was less than 10 years old. There are still old flathead motors and older vehicles running today. Some move on, others hold on. Such is life.

As long as technology advances to the point where labor rates exceed $75.00/hour, there will be a need and a desire for keeping the old vehicles working and running. For me, that's the main reason I keep the older bike. Sure I could afford an 1800, but I just don't see the need to buy something that requires almost a complete tear-down of all the plastic just to change an air filter. (Yes I know I am exaggerating)

My point is, it is cheaper to buy a parts bike and find a spot in the garage to keep it than it is to buy a brand new machine and pay someone to do all of the maintenance on it.

Agreed. Most vehicles are built with a normal supported lifespan from the factory and at some point become obsolete. But for some hands on time and a search for aftermarket parts, many vehicles can be kept on the road many years longer than the factory intended.

I know this, I could not get the power and smooth ride I get from my '82 safely knowing I could ride that bike to the West coast pulling my trailer for as cheap a price as the money I have spent to date. All funds combined are still less than a used 1800.

Were all past the new stage, more or less. :hihihi: These old machines are put right with not a lot of fuss if they have had reasonable care, :good: much like us. :smilie_happy:

Brian - " Sure I could afford an 1800, but I just don't see the need to buy something that requires almost a complete tear-down of all the plastic just to change an air filter. (Yes I know I am exaggerating)". Have an 1800 - you are not exaggerating! :smilie_happy:

Have to keep my 1200 for a few years to amortize the costs to a reasonable level. It's also a great past time. It meets one of my Father's retirement criteria - you need to have something to get up to in the morning when retired. Since I retired at 58, thishobby keeps me active.

Cheers

well there is also the fact that oldwings are the only nice road bikes of the size and weight ...all things today are bigger...1500s are huge to me ....1800s are also ....the size and balance and low center of gravity of the oldwing is just right for me ...the technology of the bikes id say is poor by todays standards but also simple...theres not a bike bike out there that handles car carb like oldwing can except maybe 1500 and 1800 wings ...there are a lot of bikes here on this forum that have to be considered more classigoldwings than honda ...and this is half the reason i like my oldwing ...it more me and classic inspired bike than a new bike never to be touched and just ride bike ....and the bikes out there that are totally like honda and TLC put into them that washes away 40yrs and look and ride as they were made yesterday is impressive...old bikes known by there owners so well that they are personal reflection of them is also impressive ...i was well on my way to having 1800 parts on my bike LOL

yes and i agree ..having something that keeps the mind active is priceless... :builder: :mrgreen:

This is a great topic.

I have never been one to buy something new just because it was new (and stylish). This applies to cell phones, TVs, refridgerators, cars and motorcycles. Maybe I'm just cheap. As an engineer for over 30 years, could I do better than my 125k mile 2001 Toyota Avalon or 55k '97 Valkyrie or '78 Goldwing? Sure. But why? To impress the neighbor or some guy at a stoplight?

I think I read once that Sam Walton used to drive a 15 year old Merc. I like that. Makes sense. Why trade something off that has barely gone through a set of tires?

I like the feeling of accomplishment I get from returning my bike to service. But I'm sticking with the 1100 because of the balance between powerful bike vs I can still pick it up when it falls over at a campground. An added bonus is the ease of removing the minimal bodywork to get to stuff.

At coffee this morning I was asked again which bike I was on, the 1800 or the 1200 to which I replied the 1200. I have not insured the 1800 for the road. I was also asked why I would even consider taking the 1200 on the trips we have planned and thankfully one of the guys coming on one of the trips (rides a 2017 HD with the new Milwaukee 8) mentioned that you can have issues even with a newer bike. I am also confident in the work I have done and when your bike is mechanically sound, not much else you can do except ride it. Besides riding a couple of hundred Kms in town every day or going on the road for a trip is the same to me.

It is also better to use your bike, car, whatever because these will work better and give fewer problems if used. It is hard on any machine to be used, then not used for a long time.

I asked a friend of mine who toured a lot on his HD when he retired about how to prepare for a trip. He stated that you do all the maintenance possible/practical, have a great attitude and carry your plastic (credit cards). Doesn't matter which bike you are on, you may have issues regardless of the age.

I'm looking forward to my planned trips with this bike.

I am also considering a trip to Australia for my 65th in two years. Good birthday present. I was asked what type of bike I would take and I replied the '85 LTD. My friend shook his head, but I politely stated that there is no guarantee regardless of the bike you are riding.

Just a few more thoughts.

I've a lot more confidence in an older tried and true machine than any brand new machine. Once I've fixed the little stuff I know what I have. New is always a crap shoot.

I have always liked working on old vehicles. :builder: Where I live, about 5 months of the year is winter and I'm retired so I have to have something interesting to work on. :Awe: Old bikes are good because they don't take up much room in the garage. I restored a couple of Brit bikes, which are great, but you can't comfortably ride them on the open road. Fixed up a couple of Suzuki GS's; a '77 GS750 and a '79 GS850: They are much simpler than a GW and are very well built and reliable but buzzy at the higher RPMs they spin at on the highway. I might still buy another GS850 is one comes along.

For me the four cylinder Goldwings are different. When fully sorted out they are as fast and comfortable as many newer bikes. And they aren't so complicated that you can't work on them. There isn't much on my '82 that I haven't had apart and understand. And I really like that they are so well designed and built. How many bikes, even today, have engines that are solid mounted with no counter-balances and have almost no vibration...to me that is amazing :shock: .

As far as lack of parts goes: we know that Chevy Tracker rings work in 1100s and 1200s, valve stem seals from early civics, electric fuel pumps from early Preludes. There are probably lots of other parts from early Honda cars that can be used on GW's. And single carb conversions which are simple and reliable when done properly.

Rednaxs60":1jjpd70j said:
Have been noticing that there is an increasing amount of forum traffic regarding issues and fixing of GL1500 and GL1800. Also had a discussion with a used GW parts supplier and he mentioned that he would be concentrating on the GL1500 and GL1800 as there is not as much value in catering to the GL1000/GL1100/GL1200, or availability of parts.

I was asked by my partner why I just don't stay with my 1800, it's newer (I really like and enjoy riding my 1200). From perusing the various forums it is evident that the GL1500 and GL1800 are at or quickly approaching the same maintenance and work issues as the GL1000/GL1100/GL1200.

I was at the local GWRRA coffee a couple of Fridays ago and almost all have GL1800s. GL1500 and older weren't even mentioned.

I guess this is to be expected as the GL1500 at the oldest is 30 years old (from 1988 to 2000 - 12 years) , and the GL1800 at the oldest is only 15 years old. This is a long time for a specific model run. Don't know what Honda will come out with to maybe replace the GL1800; however the power plant and drive train is fairly bulletproof so a remake of the GL1800 may be in order - maybe something to take on that 750 lb rocket that BMW has - the GL1600.

My partner also asked why I would put in new parts. It is my opinion that we as a society do not keep anything long enough to have do work such as replacing the steering stem bearings. I imagine the GL1550, not so much the GL1800 as of yet, may start to see mods that are work arounds for obsolescence issues that are sure to come up more often such as the fuel sending unit mod that has been done and documented over the GWDocs forum.

Most riders I know keep their bikes for a few years and replace with a new/newer bike before any of this work needs to be done. The majority of the work I have done to my '85 LTD may/will never have to be done by myself again; however, I am still looking forward to getting some 400,000 Kms (250,000 miles) on this bike without an engine rebuild - have a lot of riding to do. I also enjoy working on my bike.

I digress, started this thread to solicit your opinions on what I see as a trend regarding GWs and if any have noticed the same in their area.

Cheers
i have an 85 LTD also and parts are definitely a challenge at times. But it's a strong runner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"i have an 85 LTD also and parts are definitely a challenge at times. But it's a strong runner"

The only concern I have regarding my '85 LTD is the CFI computer; however, I'm certain with some research one could find a business that would repair it, or bite the bullet and buy a used one. Everything else can be replace somehow. First trip/tour will be in about a week, we'll see how everything works out.

I also notice from perusing the various forums that there are far less issues with the '85/'86 fuel injected models than the carb models. I must caveat this with the fact that there are also fewer '85/'86 fuel injected models out there.

I do agree with slaghost that knowing what I am riding and how it is put together gives me a lot of confidence in going wherever-whenever.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190574#p190574:1vfyyt8s said:
Rednaxs60 » Yesterday, 10:32 pm[/url]":1vfyyt8s]
...I do agree with slaghost that knowing what I am riding and how it is put together gives me a lot of confidence in going wherever-whenever.

Cheers
I get the same confidence through ignorance. :smilie_happy:

Latest posts