Impressions on my "new" GL 1500

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So, I've put a little over 5600 miles on the Granny Smith AApple since purchasing it last October. A few observations/comparisons on it....

It's MUCH mo comfy, for both myself and Mama. Smoother ride, and more room. Major plus there.
Much smoother overall; engine, shifting, ride, even wind buffeting.
Starts immediately every time I hit the start button, and "purrs like a kitten". No kick-backs, sputter, pops/farts, or smoke.
It fits my body perfectly, with only one little dislike. I wish the handlebars were an inch or so farther back, OR turned inward more. Maybe I just need longer arms? :hihihi:
It handles like it is a smaller bike, much more so than the 1100. It definitely "feels" lighter, more responsive, and far easier to maneuver on the road. It will go straight down the road with my hands off the bars(for short distances...just to see), with very little weight shifting to keep it straight. Never able to do that with the 1100...it always heads to the left....quickly. Shifting my weight on the 1100 has little to no effect. It's also MUCH easier to get on the center stand, and also to get off the c-stand.
Sound system is much improved over what I have on The Turd, plus the addition of headsets/intercom is a bonus.

The 1500 has much more storage space, especially in the trunk. I also like only needing to lock/unlock ONE lock, instead of the 5(total) on the 1100. Another plus is the key will NOT come out of the ignition in any position except OFF.....no more lanyard needed to keep track of the key if it falls out while riding down the road, which happened on the 1100. I know that only happened because the key is worn, but still...

All that being said, it does have some small quirks, handlebar position already being mentioned. Kinda pita to check the oil, with having to remove two of the side covers to get to the dipping stick, or put oil in(btw...it has not used or leaked ANY oil since I changed it right after the purchase). :clapping: Same issue with changing the air filter....not a quick thing.
It's harder to change the rear brake pads on, compared to The Turd. Removing the saddlebag(s) is much more involved.
The radio will self mute sometimes. When this happens, NOTHING works on the radio....can't change the stations, or search. Need to check into what is causing that, and get it fixed. Seems to happen mostly in the mornings on really humid days, but not necessarily every time.
It has a really annoying "bump" in the suspension somewhere that I have yet to find. At slow speeds(in traffic), I can feel something bumping thru the seat, and backrest. It is a suspension part loose, or worn, somewhere....I have looked at everything I can think of that might cause this, but I ain't found anything to be the cause. It's aggravating, but apparently it does not effect the stability of the bike.
It also has a vibration when coasting at hiway speeds when I let off the throttle. Not a bad shake, just a vibration I can feel. I'm thinking it is a u-joint, but from what I have read from other 1500 riders, it appears to be fairly common....but no solutions have been offered.
Fuel mileage is a little worse than the Turd....right now, I'm only getting right at 35-37 mpg @ 75-80 mph. I'm sure if I were to slow down a bit, that figure would improve, but....where's the fun in that? :whistling:
The color.....Pearl Sierra Green...not really a fan of green on anything but my lawn, but this is growing on me. In direct sunlight, it actually changes to a pretty blue.

Well...there's the short synopsis of how I feel the two bikes compare. The 1100 is like an Impalla SS, where the 1500 is a Cadillac CTS. I'm diggin the 1500....quirks and all. I still need to get the head gaskets changed on the 1100, and see if I can sell it, but if I can't, I'll fix it and maybe think aboot making it into a standard to putt around town on. Who knows.....

That is a good report! If I had a 1500, I would either try to get one of the dark cherry ones or more likely get a Valk. But, my budget barely supports my 1100 slug. :hihihi:

to replace rear brake pads only the left saddlebag needs to be removed but you will still need to remove the seat, left side cover, lower trunk trim cover, and lower left corner piece on the saddlebag

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190344#p190344:2vo1eeye said:
detdrbuzzard » Wed May 10, 2017 3:44 am[/url]":2vo1eeye]
.. and lower left corner piece on the saddlebag

Easy for YOU to say... :hihihi:
The problem on mine is that there is no trim cover or splice in the "chrome" trim on the rear of the bags....it's a solid strip of trim. On the sides, there is a splice, with a metal cover over it you can remove to access the screw holding the lower cover on. At the rear, there is no splice. The trim is glued onto the bag, and to access the rear screw, I have to pull the trim away from the bag and sneak a screwdriver up past the trim....which deforms the trim, and cracks the chrome on it. :crying: In the service manual, on on most other(earlier model) 1500s I have seen, they all have a cover piece on the rear that is removable for access to the screw. So....that makes it a little more time consuming and tedious, but not impossible. Sure ruins the cosmetics of that trim tho... :sensored:

It is illustrations like this that comfort me at keeping my 1100. To work on my rear tire/brakes/final drive, it is only one key turn away and my bag is out of the way! :hihihi:

(Granted, these are older pictures, but the concept is the same with my new bags.)
image.php

image.php

I like the 1500! But that sure is a lot of plastic to open up.

Love my Vetter suitcases on the Rats Nest for the same reason as Gerry's side panniers. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190347#p190347:xz7va3x1 said:
AApple » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am[/url]":xz7va3x1]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190344#p190344:xz7va3x1 said:
detdrbuzzard » Wed May 10, 2017 3:44 am[/url]":xz7va3x1]
.. and lower left corner piece on the saddlebag

Easy for YOU to say... :hihihi:
The problem on mine is that there is no trim cover or splice in the "chrome" trim on the rear of the bags....it's a solid strip of trim. On the sides, there is a splice, with a metal cover over it you can remove to access the screw holding the lower cover on. At the rear, there is no splice. The trim is glued onto the bag, and to access the rear screw, I have to pull the trim away from the bag and sneak a screwdriver up past the trim....which deforms the trim, and cracks the chrome on it. :crying: In the service manual, on on most other(earlier model) 1500s I have seen, they all have a cover piece on the rear that is removable for access to the screw. So....that makes it a little more time consuming and tedious, but not impossible. Sure ruins the cosmetics of that trim tho... :sensored:

someone has replaced the rear chrome trim strip, I've done rear brakes for a lot of my friends with 1500 wings and none of them had a solid strip like yours. right where the saddlebag meets up with the rear fender there should be a splice with a screw like on the side, should be one for the right saddlebag also

Latest posts