Do I have a timing issue?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife says yes, but she doesn't know bikes! I'm trying to diagnose a condition on only one of my '83 goldwings. The symptoms include a stutter or shudder in the engine during takeoff like i'm not reving the engine high enough to pull away smoothly in first gear. The reason I think it is more bike problem than human problem is that the same symptoms don't happen on my other '83 (aspy) the problem is on the bike with a new clutch in a transplanted engine with 67k miles. This occurs most often when pulling up to 200 lbs of trailer. I can avoid the symptoms by keeping the revs higher and slipping the clutch more, but it doesn't feel right. Your comments are appreciated

I would say it is not a problem. My '81 and '82 both do it if I don't give just enough throttle on take off. The '82 even more so since it has an '83 engine and transmission so start offs are bit of a load on the engine. It even did it when I had an '81 engine in it. 10 years of doing it leads me to believe it is just an inherent GW issue. I notice it much more if the engine is hot and I get lazy on the throttle. :doh:

Thanks, I really didn't want to be messing with it now. I'll just try to get better at throttle and clutch then. You'really right, it does happen more when I'm distracted by traffic or just lazy.

Well I'd say ....with stock carbs 1100 and 1000s the vacuum slides are metal and heavy and can stick some at low rpm...check vac lines are all up to par..it could be a timing problem like one side of motor is one tooth off...but I'm thinking more carb related most likely

Thats interesting idea. These carbs got a full randakks kit during the clean and rebuild, but its my first set of gl's and I don't have confidence in my tuning abilities yet. I'll replace the vac line to the timer, but how do I know when the mixture screws are set correctly? My other problem is figuring out the right question to ask!

Mix screws on the 1100 racks are a royal pain in the caboose. Most simply leave them at book baseline and seem happy with them there. To properly set them you adjust each carb to highest idle returning to base idle after each carb is adjusted. Do this twice because each time you adjust one carb it affects the others. After twice difference very minimal.