Looking at V45 Sabre

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190958#p190958:2qxv7rya said:
canuckxxxx » Wed May 24, 2017 11:04 am[/url]":2qxv7rya]
Apparently they are very smooth running because of the 90 degree V engine. I have read about the cam wear issue too. I guess it was due to poor oiling to the top end.

I have had quite a few mates convince me how smooth their V4s are and I have found nothing is as smooth as the Honda flat motors or even my inline CBRs.

Specifically the rear cylinder cam was at issue but there is a fix for that, orifice mod or something...good bikes though..future collectible maybe.

Having only riding my GL for the past 4 years I was surprised how top heavy the V45 felt. Also it has a mechanically actuated drum brake on the back which I thought weird. :shock: Made me think of the non-brakes on my old BSA. :nea:

Having slept on it, :lazy: I've decided to pass on this Sabre. Just too many unknowns. :headscratch:

Also I can't afford multiple bikes so whatever I buy needs to be potentially better than my GW at a cost of about what I could get selling GW. Pretty sure this Sabre is not even close to my GW. :nea:

Oldwings spoil you for anything.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191003#p191003:1i37ql1j said:
canuckxxxx » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 am[/url]":1i37ql1j]
Having slept on it, :lazy: I've decided to pass on this Sabre. Just too many unknowns. :headscratch:

Also I can't afford multiple bikes so whatever I buy needs to be potentially better than my GW at a cost of about what I could get selling GW. Pretty sure this Sabre is not even close to my GW. :nea:

the only real replacement for a Goldwing is another Goldwing
so why did I get the mighty ST 1300? I wanted something different :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191019#p191019:10q3o5nr said:
detdrbuzzard » Today, 3:55 pm[/url]":10q3o5nr]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191003#p191003:10q3o5nr said:
canuckxxxx » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 am[/url]":10q3o5nr]

the only real replacement for a Goldwing is another Goldwing
so why did I get the mighty ST 1300? I wanted something different :)
Exactly why I got the KLR.

My friend from Ottawa, Ontario was here today, bit of a surprise visit. I met he and his wife for coffee and of course the conversation turned to bikes as he has a BMW 1200 adventure. He commented favourably on my '85 LTD. We went to the local BMW bike shop as he wanted a licence plate cover from Victoria for his bike in Ontario. He mentioned that I should try one of the BMW K1600 GTL. I said no because I hear that one may turn over and buy one. If I wanted something different possibly, but mine goes from point A to B at a comfortable speed solo or two up. Good fuel economy and performance - what more can one ask for.

When I lived on a 40 foot Bayliner Bodega for five years, I perused and commented on some boat forums. There was one fellow who did a thread on one of his experiences at a marina on the east coast. He mentioned that after he was berthed, he helped berth this brand new, shiny 50 footer that everyone appeared to be drooling over. The owner of the boat noticed this and struck up a conversation with the people who helped dock his boat. He apparently was a thoughtful man because he commented to those around that they all share the same sunsets/sunrises; however, he just pays more for this pleasure - price of his boat.

We all do the same, have great rides in concert with friends on new or newer bikes of various kinds. We all get to the same place, enjoy the same views and experiences, just some pay more for the pleasure.

Some of the posts here just got me to reminiscing. Nice to walk/think down memory lane every so often.

Cheers

A walk down memory lane gets much easier if you still have the ride that took you there in the first place.

I have a second bike that is very different from the 'Wing; a 1981 Honda CM200T, a Twinstar. After years of riding on the back, we talked about my wife learning to ride. In the fall of '09, I found this on CL and got it for $350. It ran fine but was "cosmetically challenged". It was light weight, low powered and just a great bike for a timid beginner. She got her license and rode some for 2 seasons, but never got comfortable and gave up on it. I've kept the bike because its so easy to pull out for errands and for saving gas on my 40 mile round trip commute to work; I've logged as high as 85 mpg, and it averages 80 mpg easy. Until I joined here I thought I would want to limit my miles on the 'Wing to about 2,000 per year so that it would get to 100,000 around the time I'd be to old to hold it up. Ride her at least once a week and take the Twinstar the balance to work. This season I may loosen up a little more on limiting the 'Wing's miles. Thanx for letting me share, Dave

I've been thinking of putting my '85 cb450 nighthawk back on the road, it ain't the prettiest but it has a bit more power for hwy riding

Attachments

• DSCN0250 (450 x 338).jpg
    DSCN0250 (450 x 338).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 53
I should mention that I'm also a thin guy at 6'0" and 160 lbs. We have a driver at work who used to play the line both ways in semi-pro football and we about fell over laughing, watching him ride the Twinstar around the parking lot. :smilie_happy:

Latest posts