Moving up From a 1200 to a 1500 to an 1800

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my readings, I have noticed a penchant to move up from the 1200 to the 1500, and inevitably an 1800. With this being the case, I still see the prices for the 1200s to be mostly north of $2000.00. I would think that 1200 pricing should come down to a more reasonable level say sub $2000.00 on a regular basis.

Had a chat with a fellow here in BC about buying a 1500 and he mentioned he did not want to go with a four cylinder - fair statement and expectation. I mentioned that my preference is fuel injection and quite possibly if the 1500 had a fuel injected version I might have gone for it providing it was 25 years plus old - insurance reasons. I have always been of the opinion that there is no replacement for displacement.

Had a chat with a couple the other day as they were admiring my bike. They had one as well years ago and put some 300K Kms on it and loved every minute doing so.

After having done 2 trips around the interior of BC in mountain country and the bike performing well, I think that my 1200 will give me many years of good riding and touring. Already starting to look at a trip to the Yukon next year, and for my 65th birthday, ship a 1200 to Australia for a tour around there. May be a trip home to see Mom in northern Ontario as well. Planning one more tour around BC with the better half for this year and on the 1200 as well.

Reading the various threads on bike trips on 1000 and 1100 GWs as well gives one a good feeling as to the longevity of these bikes. It is also great to see the efforts of individual bike owners to bring their bikes back to as close to original performance and looks as possible, and even the desire to individualize their bikes using an older platform. With this comes the sharing of maintenance/work information that is greatly appreciated.

I have almost done all the maintenance and refurbishing of my 1200 shy of a full strip down, clean, paint and put back together. Thinking about this but this would be a project for a few years down the road, in the meantime, riding is the order of the day.

I would also like to see Honda resurrect the 1200 GW in a modern platform as an option to the bigger 1800. BMW has the GL1200 and 1600. Seems there is a 1200 cc level (more or less) for a base bike for the masses. Honda would have to increase the HP to at least 100 HP (in Honda fashion this would probably be before the transmission). Considering the bells and whistles that are on the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i, no reason this could not be done with today's technology. Would give the citizenry a good option for touring.

Honda does have the 1300 and the new F6B that seem to be the Honda answer to the BMW sport touring bikes.

Getting back to the subject as I tend to digress at times, any thoughts on this issue, or am I just an older gent who likes riding and maintaining his 1200.

Cheers

Love my 1200's and my 1500 Valk. Both very pleasant to ride with very different personalities. I doubt I ever move to an 1800. 1200 is a perfect fit for my body size and riding habits.

I do have an 1800, but prefer to ride the 1200 for a variety of reasons. I find the cockpit of the 1200 actually has more room without modification for a taller person, I'm 6'2". I have had the 1200 seat modified and the riding comfort is fantastic. Had to have the seat on the 1800 modified so that I was in a better riding position and similar to the 1200, was moved 2" back and 2" up.

Also found a project bike, advertised as an '80 Silverwing for $700.00 OBO. Looked up this bike on the web and it seems to have a good pedigree and would be an interesting bike to own. Seems to be the poorboy GW so to speak.

There is so much out there and not enough time, money or space.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192458#p192458:1kd0wkyu said:
Rednaxs60 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm[/url]":1kd0wkyu]
I do have an 1800, but prefer to ride the 1200 for a variety of reasons. I find the cockpit of the 1200 actually has more room without modification for a taller person, I'm 6'2". I have had the 1200 seat modified and the riding comfort is fantastic. Had to have the seat on the 1800 modified so that I was in a better riding position and similar to the 1200, was moved 2" back and 2" up.

Also found a project bike, advertised as an '80 Silverwing for $700.00 OBO. Looked up this bike on the web and it seems to have a good pedigree and would be an interesting bike to own. Seems to be the poorboy GW so to speak.

There is so much out there and not enough time, money or space.

Cheers
So so true! :BigGrin:

I agree. I also do love my 1200. had a 1500, tried a 1800. they are both awesome rides but my 1200 goes beautiful, has somehow more character in my eyes. I think when honda would remake the 1200 it wouldn't be that good, they are looking for costs everywhere. No more hydraulic lifters on a goldwing, most new hondas have not hydr. clutch, etc. this is not customer like for me. I keep my oldwing a little more :)
Greez
Joebarteam

I have not tried a 1500 or an 1800 but I have owned many bikes. I really love riding my 1200. Just not interested in anything else. 1200's are inexpensive to purchase and insure, handle great and are very smooth. Also they are not too bad to work on because of all the great information available on the forum...

I was starting to think about moving up to a 1200 from 1100, partly for the quiet of hydro lifters and partly for a little more power. But after returning last week from a 2500 mile tour with about 225 lbs of trailer in tow i realized there is enough power for my needs. I was pleasantly surprised at the reserve on tap to go from 75mph to 90mph to get around a couple trucks. On the interstate all i hear is wind noise, so that overrides the desire for quiet lifters ( I kind of like the sewing machine on steroids noise!) So that leaves us with the weight issue, I can pick up my 1100 when it decides to lay down at the the campground, (yeah...it happens...) lastly, I like being able to see more machine and less bodywork...as Indian Larry would say, you gotta dig the "gizmoness" of the exposed pieces. But...I enjoy my harley too, bigger, (1584cc) faster, more comfortable...but no trailer hitch...yet. :cool:

The 1000/1100/1200 GWs are a lot for the money when you can get them at very reasonable prices. You can modify them to suit for not too much money with the understanding that the money spent is for you. I have to say that when I bought my first bike, a 1972 250 cc Suzuki Hustler that would max out at 110 mph, the big bikes were 750s such as the "snortin" Norton, Suzuki water buffalo, Triumph Trident (liked riding on this one), the 750 Honda four and others. Now people think a 750 is a city bike.

I've got more than enough gizmos on my '85 LTD, and enjoy the benefits of fuel injection as well. The additions to my bike such as USB connections, and a GPS are still add-ons for a lot of the newer bikes. Still want to get a TPMS, but that will wait for a bit. Do miss the reverse on the 1800.

I like the insurance aspect here in BC for bikes over 25 years. I can keep two of these venerable old workhorses going for $600.00 CDN a year so I will never be without a ride.

I agree with kerryb in that these GWs have more than enough HP and "spunk" to get the job done and for a whole lot less than a newer bike. I must caveat this by saying that it's not what you have, but that you are out there riding and enjoying the pleasures of this.

Safe riding and cheers to all.

Never been on a 1200, but when I switched from my 1100 to the 1500 it was a BIG change for me. Far more comfy, plenty of power, much more quiet, and lots more roomy. The 1500 fits my body much better than the 1100 does. The 1100 is more "mechanical", if that makes sense. The 1500 is more "set-it-and-forget-it". I can't see me ever going back to a 4 cyl 'Wing myself, but I seriously doubt I will ever step up to the 1800, either. I think I have found the perfect size/model of bike for me in the 1500.
I thought when the original GL1000 came out that there was no way to top that for a touring/cruizer bike, but times have changed. The evolution of the Goldwing has made it possible for just about everyone on the planet to find the one that fits them perfectly(as long as it can be afforded, that is). :yes:

I keep hearing rumors of changes for the 1800 for 2018, engine design changes and possibly a 7 speed automatic trans with reverse. Also using a twin clutch pack. A lot of reading between the lines on recent Honda patent applications. There is some YouTube stuff out on the 2018 models but YouTube is just like the internet, its always telling the gospel truth. Yeah right !!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Rumors, rumors...
It's clear honda will someday change something at the 1800. they want to keep leadership in top touring rides. They know to many changes could cost clients so they'll change with care and things they know perfectly how to do it. Gearbox could be one. Adjustable windshield, less buttons to push, engine size up, down or the same? Everything thinkable as long as it behaves like today, no vibrations and plenty of power. We will see what they do. I don't care really, i'll keep my oldwing 1200 and enjoy it as long as possible.

The only concern/issue I have with the '85 LTD is the longevity of the TPS (work around has been well documented and how the alt mod will affect a new fitment), and some of the other sensors such as the camshaft angle sensors (Gr/Gl on the back of the right cylinder head).

Other than these, the agricultural bits such as bearings, springs, brakes will probably always be available. Do enough research and something is bound to turn up.

The '85 is almost as smooth as the 1800, but that is where the challenge/enjoyment is for me. What can I do at the least cost to get it back to original condition? I do get teased by my friends and their newer bikes, but they respect what I have done and how the bike operates. They have no issues travelling with me.

As the weather gets better here, see a lot more of the older Gws on the road.

Cheers

I'll never go larger than the 1200, I'm satisfied with the performance, reliability and the comparative ease of working on them versus the 1500 and the 1800. I'll keep the ones I have.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192535#p192535:30pv5f2z said:
backlander » Today, 12:35 am[/url]":30pv5f2z]
I'll never go larger than the 1200, I'm satisfied with the performance, reliability and the comparative ease of working on them versus the 1500 and the 1800. I'll keep the ones I have.

The key phrase here is the "working on them" part. The older our 1100s and 1200s get the more vulnerable they are and the parts become rarer. I changed the motor on the gold witch last summer and was lucky enough to find a replacement with only 22,000 miles on it, but I think that that is the exception. Even then the compression could be higher.

These four cylinder bikes are still good bikes if the owner is competent, has the budget, time and skills to keep them up. You sure ain't gonna get the local stealer to work on them. Still smooth, enough power (unless you are sportsbike guy), and will give you touring capability and daily driver satisfaction. But you had better keep up with the shade tree mechanic stuff. Even then they are going to break down due to age.

Sure you can keep anything going, or restore. Look at the explosion in classic car restoration. But for all of us Gold Wing lovers, an 1800 (or whatever comes next) is definitely in our future.

if you are riding a 1000, 1100, or 1200 wing I see no real reason to move up to a1500 or 1800 wing unless you are unhappy or just want a newer wing. some will have no choice but to get a newer wing cause they are not wrench benders. I got my 1200 wing back in '07 and less than a year later got a very good deal on my 1500 wing. I would ride them back to back on the same day on the same roads for about a year. I kept the one I thought was best for me

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192536#p192536:zmaga295 said:
wedoo2 » Today, 1:16 am[/url]":zmaga295]
But you had better keep up with the shade tree mechanic stuff. Even then they are going to break down due to age.

Sure you can keep anything going, or restore. Look at the explosion in classic car restoration. But for all of us Gold Wing lovers, an 1800 (or whatever comes next) is definitely in our future.

Sadly have to agree. Hopefully I'll get quite a few years out of my '85 before I have to continue riding the 1800. Maybe a good idea to put it in storage and resurrect it when the 1200 needs to be put out to pasture.

maybe so , but you can keep repairing the 85 when something needs to be fixed , and it will most likely Out Last the Owner . as Humans WE Wear Out beyond Repair , but Goldwings Don't . :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193045#p193045:1cqunkyu said:
sledge » Today, 2:47 pm[/url]":1cqunkyu]
maybe so , but you can keep repairing the 85 when something needs to be fixed , and it will most likely Out Last the Owner . as Humans WE Wear Out beyond Repair , but Goldwings Don't . :smilie_happy:

Yes you can, and when it is replaced, should as you mention, outlast the owner.

Have to replace the TPS on my '85 LTD. Was hoping to be spared this, but not in the cards.

Cheers

1000 > SEi > 2006 GL1800 for me. 108k miles on it now and I've done all of the work save tire changes (I carry in the wheels) and a speed sensor buried in the engine replaced under warranty. I plan to take her over 300k as the wife and I enter retirement in a few months and plan to tour while we still can.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Latest posts