Pet Peeve and the word "HEAVY"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of us would be hard pressed to say that we are not opinionated in someway, or that we have some pet peeves that just grate at us. This is one I have.

The relationship between the word "heavy" and Goldwing, and that these have somehow become synonymous with each other. I was watching a YouTube video about the evolution of the GW and when the narrator got to the pros and cons of the GW, the first item on the list of cons was "heavy".

We do not see the first item on a list for an HD as being heavy, nor for a larger BMW. The motorcycling community does the GW a disservice by implicating the GW as a heavy bike. The GW is a purpose built motorcycle that is made to suit a particular riding style and need, and if this is your requirement, the weight of the bike is not relevant.

The BMW R1200RT comes in at 505 lbs, HD Streetglide 830 lbs or more, and the BMW K1600GTL in at 750 wet. I could not find a review of any sort that classifies any of these bikes as being "heavy". Some of the HD versions are north of 900 pounds, just like a GW. After we buy these "lighter" bikes, we put us and passenger on, and may even include luggage in the order of some 400 pounds or more in some cases. Now why is it not noted that the bike, not being a GW is now a "heavy" bike. People don't want to own a bike that is designed to take the extra weight we inflict on these machines, but we are willing to take a lesser platform and abuse the GVW and think we are riding safely.

I further submit that while a person can lift a less "heavy" bike more easily than the larger ones, I have yet to see someone lift one of these "lighter" bikes off the ground and stand it up.

The main issue about weight is that a bike is only "heavy" when it is not moving. There is no weight to a bike when it is in motion. I had this as an issue when I stepped up to a Suzuki Boulevard C90T. It wanted to do what it liked and it was "heavy" at the time. After the course, this issue went away. This is also the reason I take an advanced riding course every year as I believe I determine how the bike will "behave" (for lack of a better word), not the bike.

Enough of my rant. I do believe that everyone rides for their own reasons and on the bike of their choice; however, I would like to see a concerted effort by the motorcycling community to stop labeling a specific bike as "heavy", or is it a conspiracy to get/steer people in a different direction away from a specific type/style of bike.

Enjoy your ride, ride safely.

Cheers

Since most of the work/maintenance is done on my bike at this time and I'm more focused on enjoying riding it, I have time to think of other, more superfluous issues not relevant to the health and well being of these venerable bikes; however, I do like a good discussion.

Cheers

I agree.
There is another "heavy" thing out there. Remember p.e. some cars from the 70's that got new generations 'till today. F.e. the german VW Golf. It startet with less than 800kg and today it has over 1300kg. Most cars go the same way. Confort, luxury, music, bigger engines, security, laws, more room and so one are the causes. Similar by most no race bikes. Goldwing 1200 at 330kg, 1800 at 410kg. The Pan European 1300 at 320kg (heavy bike?). Look at some sport touring bikes at 290+kg like FJR1300, Cowandsoki 1400, BMW1600 and so on. They are getting heavy! GLs have a low center of gravity and even standing you manage this heavy things. But the others? I remember my Yam Venture Royale from 88 with 360kg high heavy and dangerous at stand and low speeds. I had often the bike lying because it was to "heavy". Never had it with my GL1200, it's a light bicycle! :)
Greez
Joebarteam

My pet peeve is you made me. Angry , mad , happy , sad , whatever. How you react to whatever the stimuli is a choice you make. Maybe you made it a long time ago and keep doing it but it is still a choice.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192529#p192529:yj1lxmxy said:
desertrefugee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 pm[/url]":yj1lxmxy]
Maybe so, but I still "ride" my motorcycles.
So do I. I also go for a ride in my car. If you don't have to walk it is a ride.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192522#p192522:3qyhwthq said:
JoeBarTeam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:17 pm[/url]":3qyhwthq]
I agree.
There is another "heavy" thing out there. Remember p.e. some cars from the 70's that got new generations 'till today. F.e. the german VW Golf. It startet with less than 800kg and today it has over 1300kg. Most cars go the same way. Confort, luxury, music, bigger engines, security, laws, more room and so one are the causes. Similar by most no race bikes. Goldwing 1200 at 330kg, 1800 at 410kg. The Pan European 1300 at 320kg (heavy bike?). Look at some sport touring bikes at 290+kg like FJR1300, Cowandsoki 1400, BMW1600 and so on. They are getting heavy! GLs have a low center of gravity and even standing you manage this heavy things. But the others? I remember my Yam Venture Royale from 88 with 360kg high heavy and dangerous at stand and low speeds. I had often the bike lying because it was to "heavy". Never had it with my GL1200, it's a light bicycle! :)
Greez
Joebarteam

I think if a Cowandsoki 1400 fell over I would just leave it there :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I named mines tha LeadSled its Heavy as lead backing out tha barn in tha rocks and gravel but I dont give a hoot . Im old and heavy and hard to get moving myself but we both go like hell once we gets going :moped: :BigGrin:

My Goldwing is heavy????????? I don't find it any heavier than the other motorcycles I have owned.. Mind you I have not tried to pick it up yet... I agree that once you are in motion it is very light and smooth...

Latest posts