New solex carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
Are there any new carbs that are worth a toot?if so,name a source please.thanks

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

It's my conclusion that carbs were force by gov to be made shitty so fuel injection seemed better...i bet if one really made a decent carb today the gov would shut you down

I agree with you there joe

Dusterdude":3untd9x8 said:

Carbs actually work great over a huge range of conditions, but are woeful when compared to precision computer controlled FI on water cooled engines where every parameter can optimized.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192941#p192941:mi8ljg0a said:
buddymcmullin » 5 minutes ago[/url]":mi8ljg0a]
Dusterdude":mi8ljg0a said:

Carbs actually work great over a huge range of conditions, but are woeful when compared to precision computer controlled FI on water cooled engines where every parameter can optimized.

Especially how easily FI can be programmed and selectable on the fly. At least until they start locking that out. There are some locked out already.

dan filipi":3hanfjk2 said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192941#p192941:3hanfjk2 said:
buddymcmullin » 5 minutes ago[/url]":3hanfjk2]
Dusterdude":3hanfjk2 said:

Especially how easily FI can be programmed and selectable on the fly. At least until they start locking that out. There are some locked out already.
There were many past examples of mechanical fuel injections (remember those "fuelie" Corvettes) but none were easy to adjust or maintain by the self-taught mechanics of the day. Computers have given us performance automobiles again.

Injectors will never get the exact air fuel ratio right as often as a properly tuned carb. However tuning carbs or injection has become a lost art for the most part.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192946#p192946:3d3vd3ho said:
joedrum » Today, 7:06 pm[/url]":3d3vd3ho]
In a true comparison carbs will beat fuel injection completely
I would say, until one has experienced the customization and tunability of modern day FI systems, carbs may appear to be better than FI.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192960#p192960:1mn17l5v said:
joedrum » 57 minutes ago[/url]":1mn17l5v]
Well I've seen mucho FI projects on old wings and it's seems none run any better than stock.....many were done with so called tunable parts....made for customizers ......
Oh okay, so when you say carb has FI beat, then its application of those oldwing FI systems you refer to.

It's in the application of aftermarket systems in my book. In new applications there are computers controlling computers that read sensors allowing computers to adjust nearly every aspect of the operations involved in motor operation. If carbs were adapted to the same infinite controls they would likely out perform injection systems even now. Simply because fuel needs a bit of distance to properly atomize to burn evenly. Just my opinion.

Yes I agree there V....also yes Dan the stuff available for regular people to use ...seems to be not up to par as the manufactures stuff out there...witch is totally the opposite of past tech in after market stuff....so I say the FI stuff is sub par on purpose ...and today's system of making it a crime to change how your car works is in full swing here....so the end result is a carb can beat the hell out FI out there completely...I would never invest in such crap tech or policy ...
When I went to go get my tractor I had a diesel truck and trailer that kept going into limp mode cause the computer was messed up ....it was totally a pain the ass ...and the fix cost is crazy high...who needs that kind bs on their truck ...and the motor is just worthless without the computer...cause it's not mechanically complete ....to me the direction of transportation has gone completely stupid ...and cost the owner of today's products ....just over built junk that lacks all common sense on how to make something for the customers who buy them ....the scammers out there who can make huge profits from sensor rip off fix is also a huge problem....mostly done at the dealerships that sale the dam cars and trucks .....I'll go with something reliable and mechanically complete with a simple carb system that needs no help from nasa to run LOL

Back to the original question. The empi carbs (solex clone) seem to either work very well or they just won't . There are a few other clones that may do better or worse. I doubt you can find any source with nos original solex carbs. I suggest you read reviews on the make you are considering.

Latest posts