1980 GL1100 Neutral light comes on in 5th gear

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150jim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neutral light started coming on in 5th gear about a month ago. It works fine for neutral and doesn't come on at any other time. Just 5th gear. I have been reading here that the 82 switch is internal and 81 is it external. So is my 80 external and can I adjust it?
TNX, Jim

The neutral switch is external...sorta. It's on the lower, right hand side of the engine at the front....and it's right behind the dadgum frame and exhaust.

No adjustments, tho...it's most likely just a dirty contact inside. Some have posted on being able to "fix" this issue by hitting the terminal on the switch with 12v(with the wire disconnected) quickly. Mine does the same thing.....just haven't had the inclination to crawl under there and do the job....

My light comes on in first gear. There is a dial that sits inside the water pump housing that needed to be adjusted Here is a picture of the inside of the water pump housing.

Water_Pump074.jpg

That little rod on the top of the switch turns and with the key on and the bike in neutral the neutral light can be set to come on at the right time. Now, I did this and the light came on in neutral but once I started riding the bike after the water pump replacement it started to screw up and came on in 1st gear. At that point everything was buttoned up. I'll fix it this winter.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193142#p193142:1sntvcm1 said:
5150jim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 pm[/url]":1sntvcm1]
So is my 80 external and can I adjust it?
TNX, Jim

:doh: :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193143#p193143:105c6hpg said:
AApple » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:47 pm[/url]":105c6hpg]
The neutral switch is external...sorta. It's on the lower, right hand side of the engine at the front....and it's right behind the dadgum frame and exhaust.

No adjustments, tho...it's most likely just a dirty contact inside. Some have posted on being able to "fix" this issue by hitting the terminal on the switch with 12v(with the wire disconnected) quickly. Mine does the same thing.....just haven't had the inclination to crawl under there and do the job....

I'm going out to take a look because I'm going to do an oil / filter change & replace the spark plugs this morning anyway.
TNX for the info.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193149#p193149:2km02m4s said:
wedoo2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:16 am[/url]":2km02m4s]
My light comes on in first gear. There is a dial that sits inside the water pump housing that needed to be adjusted Here is a picture of the inside of the water pump housing.

Water_Pump074.jpg

That little rod on the top of the switch turns and with the key on and the bike in neutral the neutral light can be set to come on at the right time. Now, I did this and the light came on in neutral but once I started riding the bike after the water pump replacement it started to screw up and came on in 1st gear. At that point everything was buttoned up. I'll fix it this winter.

Great info and I'm NOT afraid to pull the front off again. I pulled it off a couple of yrs ago to replace the gasket on the water pump.
I try the tap, tap, tap method first :yes: then maybe pull it about. I ride almost every day (as long as it not over 100° outside).

It's a PIA because of the radiator but maybe you won't have to actually remove it. Too lazy to go look. Hope you don't have to replace the gasket and remember to organize the bolts (The right placement is in the article on Goldwingdocs.com) and tighten back to spec. I think that they are all 9 ft lbs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193185#p193185:17opc00b said:
wedoo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 am[/url]":17opc00b]
It's a PIA because of the radiator but maybe you won't have to actually remove it. Too lazy to go look. Hope you don't have to replace the gasket and remember to organize the bolts (The right placement is in the article on Goldwingdocs.com) and tighten back to spec. I think that they are all 9 ft lbs.

Didn't try tap tap tap method because the frame is in the way... Also not going to pull the case off until winter but I did change oil, filter and replaced the spark plugs so maybe magically that will fix it... :hihihi: or not... :nea:

Quick update.
I have no idea why it did but changing the oil, filter and replaced the spark plugs magically DID fix it or so it seems. I did only 2 short trips on the freeway (about 2 miles each) and some riding around town, so I'm not really sure but I was out and about for 30 min and the neutral light never came on in 5th gear. :music:

Latest posts