It's like saying goodbye to an old friend...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This afternoon I rode the 81 to the local Twin Kiss for a root beer float. When I pulled into the garage, I shed a tear because this was the last time "The Bike" will break the threshold of my garage under it's own power.

After spending all this past week on the 87 running around the hills of West Virginia, then getting on the 1100 frame, I quickly realized the size difference once again. Then I began to think about what it would take to put the old girl back to original as an 81 Standard, and that was enough for me to say that I am getting out of the 1100 business.

The motor (84) is coming out and going into the 84. The C5 is probably going into the 87, but I need to talk to Paul first... The rear wheel/drive is going onto the 87, and the single carb intake will eventually migrate to the 87, but first I need to get a "new" old Solex carb.

I bought it in 2010 and the temp was 23 degrees on the Saturday that I picked it up, but I still put a few tanks of gas through it that day. With me on it, it's been as far North as Maine, as Far East as Cape Cod, as far west as Illinois, and as far South as Georgia. It had 78,500 miles on the dial when I rode it out of the dealers lot where I bought it and it now has over 121,000 miles on it.

All of that has been fun, but the best part of all, is the friends I have gained because of riding that bike. You really do meet the nicest people on a Honda, and I hope to continue to meet many more.

Well so long 81 .....I'm getting in the same place it seems .....all my old wings are gone except hooch ...not sure I'll ever get it right again ...so many other things going on ...I had three replacement motors for it ...but there all gone ....I may have come to the end of the oldwing world and me ...your right u meet the nicest people on a oldwing....

Ah Joe, I'm on my 3rd motor on my 1100 and she's running like new now. The amount of frustration I've had cannot be put on a scale but the journey has been worth it. Stay with it my man.

I will always be a classic oldwing guy .....will be digging into hooches problems soon I'd say ...hooch was in good enough shape to go another 100,00miles and I'm pissed at myself for screwing it up....the bike was one of a kind and very special ...I ought to be beat half to death for my part in it present shape..... :swoon:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193210#p193210:wlatqdpz said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 am[/url]":wlatqdpz]
That '81 has served you well and I certainly enjoyed being a riding partner alongside! :yes: :moped:

That was a fun trip and I was looking forward to doing it again out to Illinois. We shall ride again, I will just be on a different bike. :salute:

That was a fun trip and I was looking forward to doing it again out to Illinois. We shall ride again, I will just be on a different bike. :salute:

Technically speaking, but the time we ride again, my bike is basically a "different bike" at this point. :hihihi:

So if I read this right, do we need to be on the lookout for a 1200 motor? If so, what year? I don't want to speculate on the size of the hole left in the goodwrench legion if joe leaves the fold.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... "the dismembering of the '81 and spreading its good parts amongst the fleet!"

Its all part of the adventure...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193285#p193285:2i8bh25e said:
joedrum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 am[/url]":2i8bh25e]
With the 1000 frame like my bike has ..the 85-87 motors work ...the 84 has rear ignition and hits the frame .....I'm not going anywhere Kerry ...classic is a big part of me

Just curious about this... could you use an 84 motor with your 85-87 rear case? There is an 84-I being parted out over on Naked right now.

V got it ...the 84 motor has more in common with 1100 motors than later years ...the rear covers won't interchange at all the bolt holes are totally different on the later 1200 motors