Moto Guzzi - YES/NO?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Saw this pop up. Not a bad looking bike. I know nothing about Moto-Guzzi, but I think I could ride that! :yes:

image.php

https://www.motoguzzi.com/us_EN/moto/

My mate had a Breva 1100 for many years and it was an excellent bike. Many cases where he was two up it performed well in the company of other sport bikes and my cbr1000f. I had to be careful following him downhill as he had heaps more engine braking than me in top gear and I needed to be back a few gears to have any chance of avoiding running up his but. When I rode it the only issue I had was not balance of the weight but balance of the engine. I just love the smoothness of my 4cyl plus Honda engines. :yes: :moped: :good:

Son-in-law has a 2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400 cc. Have ridden it several times and first when he bought it. It's a 1400 on steroids. Handles well, and is quite comfortable. Unfortunately it has the shakes up to about 2500 RPM and probably shakes more than an HD at idle. Once you get past this threshold it is a nice ride, well balanced and with a lot of grunt, and not top heavy - lot of weight down low because of the design.

Does have some interesting engineering. To change the diff oil you have to remove the rear wheel to fill the diff. Don't shoot the messenger. Talked with the son-in-law about this, first with a "you gotta be kidding me" until he showed me in the service manual. It uses 60 weight oil in the engine, a different oil for the transmission - has a dry clutch, and then diff oil.

Has a host of electronics, 3 ride modes - rain, touring and sport.

All in all a good in between bike, not quite the touring and not quite the all out sports bike. I also found that an 1800 is hard pressed to loose it.

Just MHO.

Cheers

Latest posts