Riding Days are Over

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWrench

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read McGovern’s thread and man do I understand.
In one of Clint Eastwood's movies he made a statement, “a man needs to know his limitations.” For the few years I have dealt with a knee replacement, two compressed disks and one ruptured from a fall.
I just turned 69 and it is apparent my riding days seem to be over. As much as I hate to admit it, now is the time to let go. I did take the old 83 out for a short ride, and it convinced me that the time to let go is now.
This forum was such a blessing to me so many times, great people, and tremendous advice. Dan you have done a great job here, I do wish I had the opportunity to meet some of you, but that didn’t happen.

McGovern, I truly hope you can overcome your back issues, I do know how painful they can be.

My 83 and extra engine will be on the market shortly.

Sorry to read you are forced to give up riding. Feel free to stick around and join the discussions.

It bothers me every time someone has to call it quits. I know what riding and the camaraderie means to me - and what it would mean to have to admit that it's time.

Buy a hot rod Miata or something. Next best thing. Enjoy what you do - even if it's not always your 1st priority. Second choices can be a good thing too!

When you have to give it up, you know it is time, until then... ride it like you stole it!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195863#p195863:1hnkgk7j said:
desertrefugee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm[/url]":1hnkgk7j]
Buy a hot rod Miata or something. Next best thing. Enjoy what you do - even if it's not always your 1st priority. Second choices can be a good thing too!

The Polaris Slingshot is high on my list for #2.

slingshot-sl.png

It may be entertaining watching me get my fat ass in and out of that thing, but I think once it is in there, it would be a lot of fun!

I have been given a reprieve if you will and can ride for now (knowing I might still have a pain), but I don't normally have issues riding, it is more an issue getting my leg over the saddle. The recent episodes of pain where while I was in the house, not even while riding, but prevented me from even thinking about getting on my bike.

I am sorry to hear you stop riding, but we don't want to put ourselves in the hospital!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195865#p195865:3lv7pav2 said:
brianinpa » Yesterday, 2:31 pm[/url]":3lv7pav2]

slingshot-sl.png

It may be entertaining watching me get my fat ass in and out of that thing, but I think once it is in there, it would be a lot of fun!
I have to say that if my back hurt too bad to ride, it may be a bit much to get in and out of that thing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195902#p195902:2ace5ogz said:
D-50Dave » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am[/url]":2ace5ogz]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195865#p195865:2ace5ogz said:
brianinpa » Yesterday, 2:31 pm[/url]":2ace5ogz]

slingshot-sl.png

I have to say that if my back hurt too bad to ride, it may be a bit much to get in and out of that thing.

I never mentioned that is was practical! :smilie_happy:

Idk how much better a slingshot would be. I would find a Manx dune buggy with a corvair engine and powerglide before I'd get a slingshot. At that point you may as well get a trikewing.

Anyway just because you can't ride doesn't mean you're any less part of the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear of this turn of events, but at least you can still stay active on the forum. As your signature says...you've learned how to dance in the rain. You could keep the bike around to use as practice, fodder, evidence... in maintainence/repair threads. Or keep it as a conversation starter..."yup, we actually used to ride such a contraption!

I too can not flip my leg over a standard seat, let alone a seat with a huge back rest. I also can not pull in a clutch lever in stop and go traffic. This is why I started riding a LARGE 650 cc scooter, 185,000 miles ago. It is an automatic CVT and has a "Step Thru". It weighs about 620 pounds so wind gusts do not effect it as much. I have done a 2500 mile road trip putting up to 500 miles in per day. Top speed is 115 MPH and I get 52 MPG @ 70 MPH. Like a Goldwings flat engine down low, my engine is frame mounted with the pistions at about ankle level and the 4 gallon gas tank is below Butt level. It has a 52 liter UNDER seat trunk too. With the GIVI side and top boxes, I have about 200 liters of cargo space.

<<<<See my Avatar Pic.

Just saying, I did not give up, I just got even. I will meet anyone for a 400 mile "Three Pass Blast" up in the Cascade mountains anyday. You WILL NOT leave me behind unless you are at Yellow Wolf's caliber of riding. And YES, I run a CAR TIRE in the rear and still can corner with the sport bikes. ;)

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=196019#p196019:hssxwzjf said:
Dave_J » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am[/url]":hssxwzjf]
Just saying, I did not give up, I just got even. I will meet anyone for a 400 mile "Three Pass Blast" up in the Cascade mountains anyday. You WILL NOT leave me behind unless you are at Yellow Wolf's caliber of riding. And YES, I run a CAR TIRE in the rear and still can corner with the sport bikes. ;)

Hey Dave!

:BigGrin: :BigGrin: I laughed like heck reading this one. Touche!

But, then I quickly stopped laughing...because I suddenly realized YOU'RE the guy who embarrasses unsuspecting Harley (and other) riders who "assume" too much!

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=196019#p196019:1t5ckwm2 said:
Dave_J » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am[/url]":1t5ckwm2]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196022#p196022:1t5ckwm2 said:
desertrefugee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am[/url]":1t5ckwm2]
Hey Dave!

:BigGrin: :BigGrin: I laughed like heck reading this one. Touche!

But, then I quickly stopped laughing...because I suddenly realized YOU'RE the guy who embarrasses unsuspecting Harley (and other) riders who "assume" too much!

Its a tough job, but someone HAS to do it.

I have had my azz handed to me by a few Harleys but mostly the newer twin cam models.
But when one comes down an on ramp, looks over in the HOV lane and see's a Scooter, 9 times out of 10 they till bust over 80 MPH just to get in front of me. They they will slow down to like 55 in a 60 zone.... until I try to pass them. Then its game on and at 70 MPH not too many cruisers can get to 100 MPH as fast as my scooter. But 95 MPH to my absolute top speed of 122 MPH it is a bit slower. I have not been over 115 MPH after my major accident in April 2015. TOO DAMN CHICKEN. :roll:

But at almost 62 years old, I too have had to slow down.
I crashed a Suzuki GS750 back in 1983 with minor injuries but I did damage to my nerves in my left shoulder. Has made pulling a clutch a bit hard. These scooter have a rear brake lever where a clutch lever is on most bikes but it is an easy pull but I use the fronts more anyway.
Then I crashed my 80 GL1100i in Oct 2009 and broke about half of my bones on the left side of my body.
And in Dec 2010 I crashed a 2008 Burgman scooter into a Chevy pickup that pulled out and I had no warning doing 45 MPH, broke a lot on my right side and internal injuries.
The April 2015 crash I got hit by a flying tire on the freeway. I was doing 70 MPH and GUNNED it to try to get past it but NOPE. 45 Degrees hard left into the Concrete barrier then tumbled and slid for over 320 feet on the left side "Rummble" strips in the pavement. My armored gear saved my life. MAJOR injuries that forced me to retire from a $60K a year Frontier phone company job.

So YES, Quality of life does count. Some do not know when to stop. It is a hard thing to give up. I will find a way to still get the freedom of open air riding, till one day I can not.....

Crash Bike Dummy Dave