Grand Canyon Excursion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming Soon...

Leaving on Friday morning. Meeting a couple of fellows north of the valley at a rendezvous point. They're from the west side and I'm on the east side of a VERY large metro area. My Valkyrie, my buddy's '77 GL1000 (that we recently revived from the dead) and another fellow who'll be riding something. He has a garage full, so I honestly don't know what he'll be on yet. I'm not sure he even knows yet!

We'll take the relatively short (3.5 hours) trip up to Williams where we'll be staying at another acquantance's cabin. Williams is a neat little mountain town that'll make a nice staging point to the South Rim - about an hour away. We'll run the South Rim on Saturday.

Yeah, I know. It's a short trip. But it is A TRIP. One that I'm way overdue for. I'll think happy thoughts while in the saddle and pretend it's cross-country. And I'll be sure to take a snapshot or two. Got my leaking diff drain washer replaced last night. It was making a mess on the back end of the Valk. Had leaks on both bikes. Total of $50 worth of orings, seals and washers from Western Honda!

Anyway, as William said, somebody has to take up the torch as the seasons change.

My cousin lives in Phoenix and was out last week for a family reunion and a day of riding the New England countryside. His only complaint was the bugs in his teeth from grinning. :BigGrin: He said its been a long summer. Enjoy & safe travels.

Oh yeah. I lived in Lowell, MA for ten years. Went to UMass Amherst. Boy, do I remember those bugs. Ran through a mayfly storm once riding up Route 3 in Manchester, NH. We were literally WET from the bugs. Laughing like heck getting mouthfuls!

For now, I'm pretty much ready for the Canyon. Really looking forward to this one.

Stay tuned!

My wife and I went there a few months back. Bring money. The Indians have really commercialized it. The side we went in on anyhow. I dont even know if we could have gotten in to see it without paying the outrageous tour fee.

I would love to take a "short" ride of 3 hours. I haven't been on a decent one since Feb last year. :doh:

be safe and have fun D.R. and do take a few pic's along the way. i'll be on the road around 11:00 today, my trip will take just over four hours and i'll be sure to take a few pic's along the way

Ran the South Rim today. Back in Williams. Cold! Windy! Staying in a friends cabin totally off the grid. Cisterns for water in addition to trucking in water. Wood heat. It's a lot of work living off the grid. Horrible cell service. I'll post a few pics tomorrow. I am beat tonight! A good tired.

I have been to that canyon many times, down into it, around it and into lots of nooks and crannies, but it never fails to send shivers down my spine when I see it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196149#p196149:24210jt1 said:
Ansimp » September 21st, 2017, 8:07 pm[/url]":24210jt1]
I would love to take a "short" ride of 3 hours. I haven't been on a decent one since Feb last year. :doh:

You have got to get out more.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196183#p196183:1ybij4ho said:
wedoo2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:32 pm[/url]":1ybij4ho]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196149#p196149:1ybij4ho said:
Ansimp » September 21st, 2017, 8:07 pm[/url]":1ybij4ho]

You have got to get out more.
:yes:

Well, it was short but sweet. My buddy is an Arizona native and had never seen it! Our host has it figured out. Made a fortune in Southern California in the machining business and moved to the boonies of Northern Arizona. Off grid.

Rode up on the Valkyrie with my buddy and his '77 GL1000 - that I'd done head gaskets on last week. It didn't miss a beat and we did NOT baby these machines. Stayed in Williams at our host's place with a couple of other friends. All of them but me are avid member of the AOG (Ariel Owner's Group). Ariel freaks. Ran the Canyon South Rim on Saturday and headed back down the hill this morning. Oh, and don't let anyone tell you it doesn't get cold in Arizona in September. Lows were about 30 both nights and there was significant frost on the motorcycles this morning.

It was a good trip and just what the doctor ordered. I won't post too many pics, but I think a few are in order...

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG