resurrecting another wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finally beginning to work on my 1984 gl1200, it has 42,000 miles ,has been sitting several years (inside) it has nice clean coolant, plugs look great, not wanting to rush things so I removed the Radiator, and timing covers, put only about 1/4 cup MM oil into the cyls. let sit for a couple of days, turning by hand (socket on crank bolt) the engine turns about 1/2 rev. and stops, no clunk like something hitting a valve or ?? just kind of slowly gets hard to turn . I didnt force it at all, should I take vale cover off to make sure no vale sticking open, then "if not" put some force behind it ? I'm thinking it has a "rust ring" around cyl.?? I know the carbs will need to come off, it sat with gas in the tank,and pet cock open.

You have the timing covers off. Are the belts intact? Are the cams timed correctly? Have you looked into the cylinders?

Yes belts are intact , they look good but are Honda belts so prob. originals being only 42,000 miles. I havn't looked into the cyls. I will do that tomorrow, that didnt even cross my mind.lol I do have a small mirror to do that. I'll post pics, I guess I should do before and after.. not sure what direction I'm going with it.

I think you might have it right ...valve sticking ...I’d say for take valve covers off and use rubber Malit on valves ...turn it a bit do it again and see if it gets further out all the way ....if not I’d pull the heads and clean it up in the cylinders ....

Mine sat for some time and I had a valve hanging up, actually the cylinders flooded and the fuel gummed up all the valves but one in particular I had to carefully work it out to a seated position, if I remember it was just a couple prydrivers then carefully rotating the engine forward then back until it cleared the piston.you will know pretty fast which valves because they will have play in the rockers.