2018 GW...no tanx...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Looks of the Bike better than the last few years , and I like the 6 speed Trans idea ... and I Love the Dash , and Adjustable Windshield . . . but yeah some things I don't like . :laptop:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197548#p197548:jihft5gx said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am[/url]":jihft5gx]
I think it might be fair to say that we (Oldwingers) are not their target demographic? :hihihi:
I don't really see a ton of young riders flocking to buy this new wing either, they still look at wings as being too big and too expensive. I actually like the look of the new standard Goldwing but the lack of fuel is still a problem. I would need to see how the seat is bolted on the bike so I could do a custom three or four gallon fuel cell where the passenger portion of the seat is, too bad Honda didn't go with a six gallon gas tank

detdrbuzzard":3rjheq8o said:
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197548#p197548:3rjheq8o said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am[/url]":3rjheq8o]
I think it might be fair to say that we (Oldwingers) are not their target demographic? :hihihi:
I don't really see a ton of young riders flocking to buy this new wing either, they still look at wings as being too big and too expensive. I actually like the look of the new standard Goldwing but the lack of fuel is still a problem. I would need to see how the seat is bolted on the bike so I could do a custom three or four gallon fuel cell where the passenger portion of the seat is, too bad Honda didn't go with a six gallon gas tank
the future will tell us how many new goldwings they'll sell. most of them will be working people 30-45 years old, i think. not over 50 like me and not owners of a 1000, 1100, 1200 gl. maybe 1500 owners that want/have to change for something newer and 1800 owners that need to have allways new toys. most of them will be people who bring the bike to a dealer for software updates to keep em running. a new generation of bikers, digital riding. i keep my analog ride, i'm old for such a swap :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197567#p197567:3fwnrjgf said:
joedrum » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am[/url]":3fwnrjgf]
Well me to old and way to smart to fall for such bull shit tech and motors that are not capable of running on there own machanical integrity
New tech has advantages and disadvantages for sure.

There is nothing like the experience of being on a sidewheel passenger ship with a walking bean steam engine.

MVC-011F.JPG

Single cylinder, instant pure power, tremendous torque! But, the steam engine was not energy efficient, the lopping between power strokes caused a pulsation in the forward movement of the ship which then caused passengers (and livestock in the cargo area) to become sea sick even on flat water like rivers! However, the simplicity of the steam engine was magnificent!

Today, modern marine diesels are electronically controlled with the very air/fuel mixture measured thousands of times from intake through exhaust for maximum efficiency. To be an Engineer of these engines, you need to know more about laptops than how to use a wrench! :hihihi:

My point? Old technology is great fun, but the modern world, with higher effciencies and safety requirements plus customer demand has created modern marvels of transportation engineering that have pretty high cost to produce. To keep these new, wonderful pieces of machinery on the road takes more than a wrench (better be sure our laptops are up to snuff!) :yes:

I don’t ever hear of an oldwing that got 59mpg as my hooch bike did ...I don’t care how many computers it has on line in its operation ...making motors with million dollar brains hasn’t produce anything on old tech ...throwing simple operation in the garbage has more to do with an addenda than efficiency ...and this is what a dirt poor damage goods American did ...if they did stuff in the people’s interest instead of other interest I’m sure we would have much better stuff out there to buy ....my daughter had a vw that got over 50 miles per gallon ...and if she didn’t turn it in to get f$#k up to be less efficient she would be arrested ...sounds like BS to me ...and the car became dam near worthless over being the best selling diesel car ever over all over makes combined...

joedrum":2ge62017 said:
I don’t ever hear of an oldwing that got 59mpg as my hooch bike did ...I don’t care how many computers it has on line in its operation ...making motors with million dollar brains hasn’t produce anything on old tech ...throwing simple operation in the garbage has more to do with an addenda than efficiency ...and this is what a dirt poor damage goods American did ...if they did stuff in the people’s interest instead of other interest I’m sure we would have much better stuff out there to buy ....my daughter had a vw that got over 50 miles per gallon ...and if she didn’t turn it in to get f$#k up to be less efficient she would be arrested ...sounds like BS to me ...and the car became dam near worthless over being the best selling diesel car ever over all over makes combined...
ups, my old diesel only gets 44mpg, but the only issues i have with this 14 years old tecnic is electronic and this the whole time. lamps telling me once a week the airbag, asr, esp, abs are out of order. half an hour later everything is allright and when the experts look at the car no messages, no issues, nothing. it's horrible. i hate it. money for nothing.

that's why i do not want to "update" my rides and keep'em SAS = simple and stupid. my oldwing has enough electronic with the ignition, radio, air suspension and so on, the other bike has less than that, it's an fj.

if i have to change my car i'll look for an older one, free from electronic with the exception of the ignition.

I could never afford to purchase one but there are two areas I'll probably try to keep up with as far as operation and owners reviews, the new front suspension and the braking system.

I love technology, and I understand electronics. I also love my '62 Corvair, where the only electronics are in the radio. Generator, mechanical regulator, breaker point and coil ignition...so simple, and so dependable.

On the flip side, computerized ignition and fuel injection have proven to be a very dependable and efficient technology. My '86 Bronco II and '92 Explorer both went well over 200,000 miles without a single electronic issue. One Mass Airflow and two O2 sensors were all that I ever replaced.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197607#p197607:259hw8bj said:
Steve83 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 am[/url]":259hw8bj]
I love technology, and I understand electronics. I also love my '62 Corvair, where the only electronics are in the radio. Generator, mechanical regulator, breaker point and coil ignition...so simple, and so dependable.

On the flip side, computerized ignition and fuel injection have proven to be a very dependable and efficient technology. My '86 Bronco II and '92 Explorer both went well over 200,000 miles without a single electronic issue. One Mass Airflow and two O2 sensors were all that I ever replaced.
:yes: :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197629#p197629:2xmci28c said:
wedoo2 » Yesterday, 7:31 pm[/url]":2xmci28c]
Rather have the new Star Venture.
Nice bike. Air cooled though. Not sure I'd like that in the summer here.

Had to pick up a new water pump housing gasket for Val (3 weeks from Japan) from TeamMoto Honda in Springwood after coffee/tea with the VJMC boys at Suzuki.
Got to see these babies in the flesh. :good:
With a bit of luck I may have a ride report on Thursday. :beg:
The only problem is the one I like costs the same amount as my wife’s Subaru Outback. :doh:

For the price of a 2018, I could buy many, many 1200’s. I am old and set in my ways. I do love ❤️ classic old wings. I also would love to try one if I had lots of money.
For now no tanks..

Great looking bike these new GWs. Sat on one and found the sitting position out of the box better than the older 1800 for us taller fellows. There is a lot of electronics, apparently quite a few hidden antennas on these bikes.

Made one comment regarding the battery tender connection. Have a great looking ride and there is this connector hanging out the side. I know you can hide it out of the way, but how about putting in a Powerlet type connector and have the associated connectors, be a much cleaner install. When I get back west will be thinking about a test ride of the DCT model.

Rear tire is quite large, reminds me of a CT guised as an MC.

Cheers