Justification for Procrastination

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, a man just has to rise above defeat and declare victory. To wit: my miserably failed hydraulic clutch conversion on my '78. I tried to do it on the cheap and, after spending a month waiting for 35 year old parts to arrive and wrestling with said parts and various speed bumps, I got sick of seeing beautiful riding weather going to waste and went back to the cable. (Some Drum guy finally convinced me to go back)

Just in case you missed that fiasco and have a tendency to see other futile efforts that "but for the grace of" ... (never mind) here's that thread:

https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12597

Got it together yesterday and took a 37 mile cruise to knock the cobwebs off. I hadn't really ridden the thing since I put the electric fuel pump on in July!! Encountered a few leaks. Fixed a fuel leak and thought I'd taken care of a right side oil leak. I dug an o-ring out of my bag of tricks for the bottom of the tach cable - thinking that was my issue. I did another quick 40'ish mile loop today and still have earl (oil) on that right side. The only thing I dinked with was the fuel pump, so that has to be it. I'll order the "correct" seal, I guess. Sheesh, still trying to cheap out on this thing. That's what led to losing the first round of the hydro clutch battle in the first place!

Anyway, here's a shot of the '78 by the old Firebird Raceway. I used to run my Chevy's (Chevelle and Elky) and my VMax and ZL900 here. It's now called Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park. Of course, the "World Famous" Bondurant School of Racing is just next door. Days like this getting out and feeling the bike stretch her legs is exactly why I aborted the clutch job...for now.

IMG_5467.JPG

...(and the answer is 10.89 @ 124)

Aw man. I am sorry I had you guys thinking that was my GL's time. I sure wish I could get that. I won't get there even with the '77 cams and Weber setup that's coming soon.

That time was with my VMax in 2011 - just after completing many mods. Although the best I have ever run (with any vehicle in the quarter) I had expected better, especially since the baseline stock run was 11.28 @ 119. Also, once I went over 120, the rules changed. Track nannies.

I haven't run the 1000. Heck, they're up to $40 bucks for a card for Friday night drags. Used to be $20. I am tempted to take the old girl down for a few runs, just for kicks.

Latest posts