My bike plans for 2018

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
What are yours?

First off, mine are to ride as often as work and weather allow.
I think our winter will be pretty dry this year so I’ll be taking every opportunity.

Next up, I’ll be working toward putting the 1200 FI engine in my 83 GL.
The engine is on a stand so steps toward install will be to set it up with a connected cooling system and electric to run it on the stand to test it thoroughly for compression, oil pressure hot, etc.
I’m confident it is in good condition.
After that, I need to get a snap ring groove cut in the final output shaft since I’m not planning on changing the swing arm for a 1200. No doubt the shaft is hardened but it should be doable. Since I’ll have it running on the stand, I might attempt setting up a jig to cut it myself. Will see. There are lots of ways that could be done.
Once I have that sorted, I’ll be putting together parts for the hydro clutch line and master cylinder.

My brother may be moving closer to me from Arizona so I see possibilities for a fun year riding together with him and my son!

For the '78 GL1000:

Well, I have acquired a set of Weber 40's and manifolds as well as a pair of early 1000 cams to go onto the bike. My problem is that it's currently running like a fine Swiss watch and I'm too busy exercising it to pull it down for an extended wrenching project. I do need to accumulate a few bits for the Webers and the setup, so I will get after that. (jets, orings, gaskets, and linkage hardware). I suppose the cams could go on pretty much any time. Either way, that's on deck.

...then there's the hydraulic clutch conversion that I aborted a couple of months ago. I need to pick up a few bits if I want to go back after that one. I tried to cheap out and regretted it. Hint: If you wanna do something right, don't take shortcuts or the "cheap" way out.

The Valkyrie:

I'm going to pull my 6 degree advancer wheel and install a 4 degree soon. Startup is more stubborn than it should be and that's one of the main side effects of advancing the timing. (Even though it runs quite sweetly with 6* of advance!).

I've also got some additional lighting for the rear of the bike that I'm going to be installing. Nothing fancy, just wanted to add a bit to the single tail light that's on there.

Those are the bike plans. Won't get into the plans for the Westy...

<<EDIT: And Dan, maybe we should consider a Colorado River Valley meetup. Not a requirement, just a thought - but some decent destinations there - or Death Valley!

Hoping this year coming will be a good one. Lots of riding as well.

Hope to redo the wiring on my '85 LTD in Victoria. Have new OEM style connectors to use, clean up the wiring, maybe move some of the OEM wiring harness grounds to the ground bus bar I installed, and need to integrate the new power junction I installed where the old reg/rec was located:
Power Junction.jpg

Hopefully finish the work on the '85 LTD at my brother's place that I spent most of the Xmas visit working on. Very pleased with the progress to date and expect to ride it west in June coming. Have a project work/parts list going.

Have a couple of road trips planned. One is with my HD friends through the interior of BC. Sonya wants to do another trip down the west coast to continue our touring of this coast, maybe up to Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Monument and such.

Cheers

Dan - don't forget that the 1200 FI engine will need a fuel return to the tank. Don't know if the old one has a return as such. After getting the '85 LTD going at my brother's place, you should have no problem with the one you have. Really do enjoy FI on these bikes.

Cheers

Hmmm well I’m glad I got a motor coming for hooch ....plans are to do things in a more permanent way ...speaking of carb mods to the dft Weber clone ...need brakes gone through ...the 1500 clutch master is rough needs something ....front forks need brought up to par and rebuilt...need some form of fork brace maybe ...front fender mounted properly...seat needs redone and things painted up ...may do motor and all painting .....the hooch bike proved itself very roadvworthy and reliable ...then maybe there might be a meet and greet somewhere to go to ...so many I’d like to meet and others I’d like to see again ...

Everything here is on hold since we have my Mother in Law here on hospice. Once she has passed on, we will decide what we are doing next.

I still have open plans for the Slug left over from last year that I never got a chance to complete:

* Finish the wire harness, fuse/relay panel upgrade. (85% there)
* Replace steering head bearings when I pull the '81 triple tree off and install the new to me '82 triple tree.
* Finish installing the '82 self cancelling turn signal system.
* Have the bike painted OEM Cosmos Black metallic and finally install the OEM replica decals/pinstriping that is sitting on the shelf.
* Replace the seat.
* Paint the wheels.

1) Finish buying a Royal Enfield from a buddy who can't kick-start it anymore due to a car crash and needs the money. . .

2) Look into the offer of a cheap Oldwing (80's, I think) from a local shop. I'll post a thread either way. . .

1: do an all Canadian IBA ride
2: MO. early june and maybe part of route 66 while there
3: Frackville and Gettysburg, have to get my niece to Frackville before my friend moves to AZ
4: another U.P. adventure
those are the ones I can think of right now

I'm going to move the trailer hitch and wiring module from the camp bike (83 std/interstate/vetter/mongrel) over to the '83 aspencade. So when I head for the motocamp event in tennessee in june I'll really be stylin'. With a lot of luck and effort, I'll have my next trailer project ready for a shakedown cruise too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199230#p199230:3ov8cf9p said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm[/url]":3ov8cf9p]
3: Frackville and Gettysburg, have to get my niece to Frackville before my friend moves to AZ
William, is that Frackville, PA off Rt 61? Keep me updated if that is it, I would be glad to head over and meet up. There is great riding there.

Get the heads back on the 87 with the C5 hanging off the left side and also have a single carb on it.

Find a decent set of soft saddlebags for the 84 that look good with the OEM crash guards so I have the trailer hitch.

Ride them both!!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199255#p199255:1858xqsz said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am[/url]":1858xqsz]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199230#p199230:1858xqsz said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm[/url]":1858xqsz]
William, is that Frackville, PA off Rt 61? Keep me updated if that is it, I would be glad to head over and meet up. There is great riding there.

Hey! That's my back yard, so you better let me know it!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199255#p199255:pi19r2mi said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am[/url]":pi19r2mi]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199230#p199230:pi19r2mi said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm[/url]":pi19r2mi]
i'll get you the info before I head out, right now I don't have any of it in front of me.
I think i'll be in Athens, oh around sept 20