LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently February 20th, 2018, 11:23 pm
Who Is Online: No registered users ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » General Discussions » General Forum

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: What’s your story?
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 5:29 am

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Topic author

Total Posts: 20558
Active Topics: 818

Total Images: 4072
Local time: February 20th, 2018, 11:23 pm
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Tell us a story!

Tell us your motorcycle story(s). I have a few.

Try to keep each one a short story.
I’ll start with this one.

We grew up with motorcycles around us. They were always someone else’s discard, but we had fun.
The very first one was a mini bike. You know the type, Briggs and Stratton engine with a centrifugal clutch...... clank..clank..clank. We rode the wheels off that thing around the Valley streets, until one day the clutch just wouldn’t pull anymore no matter how we “rigged” it. No money for a new one so it was then OUR discard.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Post subject: Re: What’s your story?
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 6:16 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 653
Active Topics: 48

Total Images: 38
Local time: February 21st, 2018, 3:23 am
My Bike Models: 1978 GL1000 Full Dresser.
1988 GL1500

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Hello everyone,
Just would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Most do not know that I have suffered a great from the hurricane that came through Florida. I lost my place and had to move due to water, structure and mold damage. So now I'm in a new place Just bought my first home and now have a two car garage where my bikes have a place closer to the tool box. So to all I've missed hello.. I'm going to pickup where I left off on rebuilding my 78 I did get the case back together but still need to do the valves seats and get that all finished. But for now I will continue to get it going. I will get up on my reading all the posts that were posted I've missed a lot with working so many longs days. That I havent had time to read or post anything. So I hope you all have a great rest of your Sunday.

1978 Honda GL1000 01/77
1977 Honda GL1000 09/76
GL1E-4011648 Stock /
GL1E-4115753
GL1E-4055247
Vetter Package 24-253511. 36-240270
Vetter Lowers serial # 13-108977
RSDGSU..
RUBBER SIDE DOWN GLASS SIDE UP..

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 6:47 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 3332
Active Topics: 142

Total Images: 11
My Bike Models: '93gl1500se..........william

Profile Personal album

Tell us a story!

Tell us your motorcycle story(s). I have a few.

Try to keep each one a short story.
I’ll start with this one.

We grew up with motorcycles around us. They were always someone else’s discard, but we had fun.
The very first one was a mini bike. You know the type, Briggs and Stratton engine with a centrifugal clutch...... clank..clank..clank. We rode the wheels off that thing around the Valley streets, until one day the clutch just wouldn’t pull anymore no matter how we “rigged” it. No money for a new one so it was then OUR discard.

my story is real short, I ask my dad for a Honda miinitrail and he got it for me. we ended up at Anderson Honda where he made the purchase

'75cb750k, '79cb750f, '79 super-K,
'85cb450sc, '05 sunL70
'99ST1100 '06ST1300
IBA 58509 MILE EATER
HAT!
MOA
william

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:10 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17499
Active Topics: 183

Total Images: 1678
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Mine first was a cushman motor stuff into a 50era Harley frame I’m sure was made in Europe ..the trashed motor I think was a 125cc two strike ...the frame also had a springer front end on it that was stock on the bike ...I put the cushman motor in it and actually rope it in ...an also wedged it in pieces of wood...it had a centificle clutch and one gear ...it’s really amazing how long it stayed together before I’d have to redo everything ...I’m thinking it would do about 30mph ..not really sure no way to tell ...it had a front brake ..I wreck it many times ...sometimes the motor would come completely out of it lol....glad to see your post craftsman been awhile

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:15 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5683
Active Topics: 161

Total Images: 367
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

I grew up next to Pat and Son Service Center (https://www.patandsonservicecenter.com/aboutus) and they sell Kawasaki's. The current owner is a few years yonger than me, and as he grew up, so did his dirt bikes/snowmobiles and so did the bikes/snowmobiles that I rode as I grew up. Now I don't care for the cold as much, so I just ride bike...

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 8:04 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 439
Active Topics: 135

Total Images: 5
My Bike Models: 1981 Interstate
1981 Twinstar

Profile Personal album

No history of motorcycling in my family. I wanted a car when I turned 18 but couldn't afford the insurance. Found out that insurance on a motorcycle was CHEAP. There was a Kawasaki dealer about 1/2 mile from the DMV. I bought a NOS '76 KZ400 on my 18th birthday in July '77. Mom dropped me off at DMV, got my learner's permit, walked up to the dealership, and learned to ride on my way home. My parents should be brought up on charges, I would never allow my kids to do that! That was my sole transport for 1 1/2 years. I got caught at a friend's house late one Saturday winter evening and had to ride across town thru 3" of snow. I left 3 tracks; the wheel in the middle and my feet skiing on both sides. :doh:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 8:13 am

C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 648
Active Topics: 31

Total Images: 10
Local time: February 21st, 2018, 12:23 am
My Bike Models: 1978 GL1000

Profile Personal album

My story starts around 1976 or so. I was a very clumsy child so dad talked mom into getting me a motorcycle to help teach me balance. My 1st bike was a early 70s Yamaha 60 mini enduro, it was an awesome little bike, and dad then "had to" get himself a bike to ride, after all "the boy can't ride alone."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:37 am

Total Posts: 30
Active Topics: 3

Total Images: 1
Local time: February 21st, 2018, 7:23 am
My Bike Models: GL 1100 Standard 1980

Profile Personal album

My story started in 1980 when I passed my test on my first Honda C70 step through. Bought from a scout leader for 70.00.
My father rode a vespa 200 gs in the 1950's. My aunt rode a Honda Super Dream 400 which I rode pillion on in the mid 1970's.
Had my first crash on the C70 when I was watching some girl and rode straight into the back of a car. My dad called it a coo or crash.
It could only get better.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 11:56 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1054
Active Topics: 77

Total Images: 39
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

Profile Personal album

Since we're starting early and keeping it brief, I'll just mention my first bike briefly. It served double duty.. I got it when I was 15 and rode lots of the back dirt roads of rural Catawba County North Carolina. Although I got a car when I turned 16, I still had the bike and registered it just for fun. It didn't take long for me to lust for more "cycle power" for the street. But, that's another story.

...so, what was the bike? Hodaka B+ Don't have a photo, but here's what they all looked like:
Attachment:
Hodaka B+.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1545
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 69
Local time: February 21st, 2018, 2:23 am
My Bike Models: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

I 'didn't ride' about 9 yrs old. Qne of the neighbors got a Briggs & Stratton mini-bike and of course that led to the first time, kids always played with other kids back then!

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Global Moderator
Site supporter

Total Posts: 6415
Active Topics: 513

Total Images: 241
My Bike Models: Current Lover
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
Past Lovers
1979 XS 850,
1975 GL1000,
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
I used to do Home Healthcare on my Yamaha XS850. One day I come out of the building where the Office was and found my bike standing vertically upside down with the rear wheel 6 feet in the air propped against the light pole in front of the spot I had parked in(one of many I used often). :headscratch: It only happened the one time.

~O~

...Glo-Wing!...
"George Merriweather{VegasWingnut}" is da MAN!
....................Image.......................

............."Classic GoldWings Forum"...............
.........We think Outside of the Box here

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1054
Active Topics: 77

Total Images: 39
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

Profile Personal album

I used to do Home Healthcare on my Yamaha XS850. One day I come out of the building where the Office was and found my bike standing vertically upside down with the rear wheel 6 feet in the air propped against the light pole in front of the spot I had parked in(one of many I used often). :headscratch: It only happened the one time.

~O~

Sheesh. I gotta throw a BS flag on that play!

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 476
Active Topics: 40

Total Images: 9
My Bike Models: '83 gl1100 A,I,&S
'78 cb750k,k,&k
'74 cb550
& a Harley FXSTC

Profile Personal album

I always wanted a minibike, my dad forbid me to have any motorcycle while I lived in his house. Then why would he sign me up for motorcycle driver ed when I was a senior in high school!? First bike was following summer. When I worked on the summer maint crew and didn't come home between semesters at school 30 years later I got my second bike...I 've been makin up for lost time as fast as I can!

Intrigued by the wail, seduced by the scream.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Site supporter
knocker
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Topic author

Total Posts: 20558
Active Topics: 818

Total Images: 4072
My Bike Models: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Great stories so far!

I’ll back up a bit in my timeline.

My moms parents had a Harley. They used to ride quite often according to Mom.
Grandparents and Mom have long since passed, in fact the first I’d ever seen grandparents Harley was when Mom died in Minnesota and all the kids went back there for the funeral. It was then that I learned my uncles had Harley’s also, and I learned that my aunts and uncles are pretty good people despite what Dad used to say about them.
Sort of makes sense now my interest in motorcycles.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:40 pm

C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 648
Active Topics: 31

Total Images: 10
My Bike Models: 1978 GL1000

Profile Personal album

Story number 2, my dad and I used to ride in the woods near some power lines. One day while riding, my dad decides to go up one particular rutty trail (4 wheel drives also used this area) and he's riding the hump between two deep ruts. He starts to slip off the top and puts his foot down to keep his balance. A seedling tree slips up his pant leg and causes him to fall off his bike. I, meanwhile, had started up the trail behind him at a small distance and when he fell down I was too close to stop. I had a decision to make in an instance, do I run over dad's bike, or his leg??? I chose to run over his leg, when I stopped he asked me why I ran over his leg....my answer? "You'll heal, we'd have to fix the bike." He laughed, he couldn't deny my logic...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently February 20th, 2018, 11:23 pm