1984 GL1200 Standard...Whats it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronko37

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Long time no speak, but I stalk often. I have a question for everyone. I have the possibility of purchasing a Black 1984 gl1200 Standard. The bike is in what I would consider to be very nice condition. Garage kept, same owner for 22 years, clean, titled, complete, and running, all original.

This bike is unmolested and I think would need little more than an oil change and just some basic service. Rear brake is sticking, probably clean the carbs, blah blah, You know, gold wing stuff. But the bike fires right up and runs well, and looks sharp. My question is, without me tainting anyone's opinion of what the asking price is. What do you think the value of this bike is?

Personally, I have never seen one this nice, this complete, and this condition. Usually they been sitting outside and look like they just got pulled out of a creek. To find one that is ready to go and complete seems more rare to me. Now I don't think this is some high dollar machine but I do think that it can be worth just a little more to the right buyer...

Thoughts?

hard to say bronco ....to me 2000 is a huge price for one ....but I'm sure many would think much more ....I was involve getting a real nice one for 800 dollars plus trip to go get it ...had to do something to it to get it going ...cant remember what ...but I'm thinking it cost nothing but my time figuring it out ....that bike was absolutely super condition

Usually, it depends on what the guy selling thinks of it. As a longtime owner, he'll probably be more aware of what it's worth. A more casual owner/rider might be less attached.

If it's as nice as you say, I think Joe's $2000 is definitely pretty low. I'd think $2500-3000 would probably be good price. You didn't mention mileage and of course that makes a difference.

Around here, an '84 Standard is pretty rare on craigslist - and I watch. There are LOTS of Goldwings - even a nice Sulphur and a mediocre LTD still sitting there as we speak.

It's worth what you will pay for it and not a penny more! I've bought 2 1984 Interstate basket cases for $600 total, but I would expect to pay $1500 to $2000 for an 84 Standard in good condition, especially if it is low mileage, nice paint, and the PO has good maintenance records. High mileage, bad paint, and won't run; I would start around $500 and inch up on the price.

I won't consider selling mine for less that $2000. As nice as described I'd consider $3000 if I really wanted it.

The bike has 48K miles on it. Don't get me wrong its not a museum piece but it looks to be pretty sweet. Ive only seen pictures and he sent me a video of the bike running.

Clean, titled, ready to go garage kept and paint in excellent condition would get me to cough up at least $3000. Any work needed to be done from there would lower the price.

A few pics of the machine in question...

Attachments

• Goldwing.jpeg
    Goldwing.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 96
  • golwing2.jpeg
    golwing2.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 95
  • goldwing 3.jpeg
    goldwing 3.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 95
  • goldwing4.jpeg
    goldwing4.jpeg