Forum Appearance and response

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZgl1800

Reaction score
I remember the day that Dan Filipi asked me to come join up on his Brand New Pride and Joy...

that has been, what 15 years now?
By virtue of necessity, wallet $$$ of course, the first software he started with was a bit sparse and quirky....

But, I have watched him polish it up, bit by bit....

However, today, I needed to get back over here to get a few things, and to update my profile... oops! my password was lost, or I didn't record it, or, duh!! dummy, you have a new computer now....

Of necessity, with me being the oldest reigning moderator on SSGWF, I keep very busy and don't get around on the other forums as much as I used to.... but of late, after my wife passing away 24 Jan 2017 there has been a lot more "spare time" to while away.... so, I have been going back to old haunts and trying to get involved again....

The forum software I see running today is immensely better, more polished, and has some very neat features I am not used to seeing on any other m/c forum that I am a member of.

The one feature I like the best, is the Thumbnail Panel on the left side when you click on a poster's picture.... That has got to be the most Geewhiz thing I have seen installed on a forum...

I like it, a lot.

Anyway Dan, just wanted to say hello to you, and congratulate you and your Team Members for making this a great place to be.

John

I will agree with you john,this is one of the best forums i belong to.kudos to you dan.keep up the good work.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

+1 On a great forum with excellent technology features. I wish the Australian Ford Forum had a gallery that worked as well as CGWs. :yes:

Indeed. Dan doesn't try to keep it looking "hip" or "stylish" just to do it. He always trys to keep things functional and reliable (like our lovely Oldwings) and not use the more fashionable forum generator software. I'm a member of a forum that makes constant graphic design changes and site tweaks, so it's down regularly for mods. I like the reliability of this site a lot more. If Dan ever upgrades it, I hope he goes with something as reliable as a wood-burning stove. . . LOL

I don’t think I have it in me again to build up new or upgraded forum software to make it like this one is now. It takes sooooo much time and learning code to make it feel “just right”.
I don’t see any reason to “upgrade” from what we have... which in reality most anything out there “pre-built” would be a downgrade.

There is an update to this forum software which is an entirely new version which requires starting from scratch. We’ll be staying right as we are unless something unforeseen happens that somehow forces us to go to the update.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200328#p200328:1pnaslqd said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm[/url]":1pnaslqd]
There is an update to this forum software which is an entirely new version which requires starting from scratch. We’ll be staying right as we are unless something unforeseen happens that somehow forces us to go to the update.

:clapping:
That's probably a good thing as most of us are resistant to change. :shock:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200330#p200330:1smsigto said:
brianinpa » 11 minutes ago[/url]":1smsigto]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200328#p200328:1smsigto said:
dan filipi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm[/url]":1smsigto]

:clapping:
That's probably a good thing as most of us are resistant to change. :shock:

Indeed. I like the forum as-is, and if you need a web guy, I'd ask around my friends to see if I knew anyone who could help, but if we can avoid doing it, I'd say leave it alone! This place is marvelous!

Same sentiment here, site works well and serves the community that is interested.

Takes a lot of time to make a change because of data correlation and such. Dan is to be thanked for keeping this site going for our benefit.

Cheers

Change, just for the sake of change, is not a good thing.

over at SSGWF, the new owners kept wanting to make it the Cat's Meow, but Steve Saunders forced them to make it in the contract, that good 'ole mellow yellow' will never change, except for minor tuneups to fix a glitch.

and mellow yellow is the only format that I will use there.
it never breaks.... if you don't mess with it... :clapping:

What you have here Dan, looks great, is not obtrusive, and works well.
Why break it?
you have some very unique features, and putting those into a new format would require a year's worth of "away from family time" to make a new version work...

I like it the way you have it...

I just didn’t realise how spoilt I was by being on this site until I tried other forums ( non GL forums).
As always excellent work Dan. :good: :salute:
:thanks:

Latest posts