If four is good, six must be REALLY good (carburetors)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I volunteered to work with a buddy on his Valkyrie today (and tomorrow). He just bought it and it had been sitting for a while. Yep, won't idle well, snaps and pops, yadda, yadda.

Although the rack is a bugger to get out, the carbs themselves are a snap to work on compared to early GL carbs. Float level? Ha! Not adjustable. All plastic construction. If, for some reason, the level is off, the float must be replaced! (These were all spot on).

It would have gone back together, but we discovered a coolant leak at the thermostat housing. Funky double-sided perimeter seal on order at Western Honda.
IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=200455#p200455:6frp2nzj said:
slabghost » February 15th, 2018, 5:42 pm[/url]":6frp2nzj]
Glad I keep ATF in my fuel. I don't like messing with carbs.
ATF in fuel? why use it?

"ATF in fuel? why use it?"

ATF is an excellent lubricant and also has hydroscopic (absorbs water) characteristics.

ATF in gasoline works like Stabil when the bike is setting by absorbing moisture, thus stopping tank rust. During operation, it cleans the fuel system by flushing the moisture into the combustion chamber. It softens old rubber seals and helps dissolve the crud in the bottom of the carburetor. 4 ounces added to a full tank of gas keeps the carburetors looking like new inside.

Added to engine oil, it keeps piston rings from sticking during lay-up. During operations, it can help unstick piston rings, thus increasing compression. It helps remove crud from the oiling system by washing it from moving parts and transporting the dirt to the oil filter. ATF does not affect your clutch plates like other additives may.

Yes, I use it. Just wish I had the patent on it.

Tom

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200970#p200970:v1jehp3p said:
PurpleGL1200I » Today, 9:17 am[/url]":v1jehp3p]
"ATF in fuel? why use it?"

ATF is an excellent lubricant and also has hydroscopic (absorbs water) characteristics.

ATF in gasoline works like Stabil when the bike is setting by absorbing moisture, thus stopping tank rust. During operation, it cleans the fuel system by flushing the moisture into the combustion chamber. It softens old rubber seals and helps dissolve the crud in the bottom of the carburetor. 4 ounces added to a full tank of gas keeps the carburetors looking like new inside.

Added to engine oil, it keeps piston rings from sticking during lay-up. During operations, it can help unstick piston rings, thus increasing compression. It helps remove crud from the oiling system by washing it from moving parts and transporting the dirt to the oil filter. ATF does not affect your clutch plates like other additives may.

Yes, I use it. Just wish I had the patent on it.

Tom
Well said, Fred.