1984 Interstate Extreme Basket case

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was allowed to view an '84 Interstate (confirmed by viewing the OEM tally plate on the steering stem) basket case this that will be coming up for bids – a repossession by a local Bailiff friend of mine.

It is strapped onto a small roll pallet and is in a state of tear down such that I could not find some of the important pieces. Unfortunately if it is not bought at the auction it will become scrap metal.

Not a lot that I can use a lot of the items, but there are 3 side mirrors in good shape, the rear rotor is the same P/N as the one for my bike – need one for the bike in Ontario, the front rotors as well. Could not find the exhaust headers as the left one if in good shape is needed. The front forks are the same for the '84 to '87 years - found that the front fork upper tubes on my '85 here in Victoria could use a change.

The person that owned it was trying to fit Aspencade fairings to the bike. Know this because the front fairing is from an Aspencade and has the digital dash. Did not get a look inside the saddlebags, should have. There was no rear trunk either. Found the intake manifold, but only one carb was attached.

Had the side chrome panels – both, the fuel pump chrome cover was in good shape. There is a windshield in good shape as well. there were a few other small pieces that would be good.

I think a bid of $25.00 would get this basket case. Take off what you need immediately and say goodbye to the rest. I do not have a storage spot for this, nor a trailer to move it.

Considering a used rear rotor is a minimum of approximately $65.00 USD the cost would be justified.

Going to ask my friend if another viewing could be done and what the process is when an item is bought.

Cheers

I was thinking of getting the pieces I want at the auction place and leave the rest for the garbage bin that will be there. Parting it out regarding the bike as a whole here on Vancouver Island with a very small bike community is not worth my time. As I mentioned, I will be taking what I want and leaving the rest.

Had another thought. Just about everything with this basket case can be recycled - tires, rims, electronics, wiring, carbs as metal and such. Would give me a few days to sort through the lot.

Just a thought.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200590#p200590:16vz0ige said:
PurpleGL1200I » 20 minutes ago[/url]":16vz0ige]
You have my vote - go for it! Is that Canadian or American dollars? At today's exchange rate, you could use American and save 20%!!??

The $25.00 would be in CDN. Looking at the parts fiche to determine what is compatible. Shocks have same P/N with the exception of the last three numbers. Think the eye to eye measurement should be the same. Looked like the rubbers were good on the shocks.

Will be putting a list together from what I remember, then make a decision.

Have contacted my friend to find out if a second viewing can be done.

Had a suggestion from another forum regarding using the '84 engine on the '85 LTD. It gets one thinking and looking into similarities so a possible good solution can be found.

The two items that came immediately to mind are the Ns sensor installed on the crank shaft in the timing belt area, and the Gr/Gl sensors installed on the rear of the right cylinder head camshaft.

The Ns sensor would not be a problem, just need the multi-tooth trigger wheel for timing.

The install of the Gr/Gl sensor is a little more involved. The right camshaft for the fuel injected model has a different P/N. It has been modified to accept the sensors - the end of the camshaft has been drilled to accept the sensor assembly bolt. A swap of the right camshaft, or refurbish the '85 heads and install. I checked the left camshaft for the '84 engine against the '85 FI engine and it is the same.

Checked the piston con rod and the cylinder head assembly for both '84 and '85. These are the same P/N so the distance between intake ports on these engine should be the same, and as such the FI manifold should bolt up to the '84 engine.

The stator and power requirements for the '85 FI is significantly larger than the '84 Interstate. The '85 FI operates at approximately 22 to 25 amps normally. This is approximately the max output of the 350 watt stator on the Interstate. Would have to consider upgrade to the "Poorboy" alt mod to make this engine work - not a big issue but a consideration.

The gear shift indicator switch is slightly different as well. Would have to investigate further.

Can't think of much more at this time, but probably will have more questions before I have to make a decision.

Front and rear wheels are the same for these two models as is the final drive. Have thought about refurbishing the FD on my bike, but could refurbish the '84 FD and swap. Have an NOS rear driven flange, would look for an NOS FD gear set to complement.

Have also considered replacing the cush dampers in the '85 rear wheel, but having the '84 rear wheel has possibilities for a swap.

There are a lot of good possibilities with this find. Being able to refurbish say the FD with new seals etc and then just do a swap is beneficial.

Would seem when you analyze the issue that there are a lot of parts that can/should be usable between the two years and models.

The frame has a slightly different P/N, and it requires a lot of storage space; however, if one were to do a frame up restoration of the '85 FI model, if the '84 frame was compatible you would be into a swapping parts scenario. Would minimize downtime.

Many possibilities, but I still have a storage issue.

Cheers

The starter was mentioned as well. It's different from the other 1200s, but can be taken apart and rebuilt to give many more miles of trouble free starting.

You gents are not being very helpful here, you're supposed to be telling me to run, not walk, away from this. :help: I can hear Sonya now - :sensored:

Cheers

Joe - won't be a project, but a spare parts bin once I would sort through the stuff - two '85 LTD FI bikes is sufficient. Figure there are items I will never use, but would put out there. Even a basket case has value to the community. You need a 1200 engine do you not? :doh:
Cheers

It's easy to get caught up in "good deals". If all you really need are a few things, it's probably wiser (given your space constraints) to acquire those things on an ad hoc basis. As one who's "been there, done that" (many times) a big ole dead motorcycle sure can get in the way unless you have lots of room.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200623#p200623:3bv3mt3g said:
desertrefugee » 17 minutes ago[/url]":3bv3mt3g]
It's easy to get caught up in "good deals". If all you really need are a few things, it's probably wiser (given your space constraints) to acquire those things on an ad hoc basis. As one who's "been there, done that" (many times) a big ole dead motorcycle sure can get in the way unless you have lots of room.
Yep, I had 2 oldwings in my small back yard at one point. Old parts I’ll likely never need got to be like an obsession. Not quite over it yet lol.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200623#p200623:1oyoazcx said:
desertrefugee » Today, 8:07 am[/url]":1oyoazcx]

Good to see you over here. Like your comments and it does take one a tour of reflection. Easy to get into the maybe, might mindset. There are several parts from this basket case that I can use immediately such as the rear brake rotor - no shipping, in relatively good condition - better than what is on the bike in Ontario. The front rotors are good as well.

Didn't notice the exhaust headers, but I suspect these are somewhere in the pile around the frame, or in the saddlebags.

Need the foot peg slider for one of the foot pegs. These are expensive little items at approximately $20.00 CDN.

There are three side mirrors that I identified, may be one more. These are expensive items and not readily available here in BC.

Depending on how this pans out, I would do an immediate dump, there are two exhaust mufflers that are not worthy of even a picture that would go to recycle immediately.

The saddlebags are there with top covers. Members do seem to loose the top cover on occasion. Digital dash from the main fairing is there. Makes me wonder if a radio is hid somewhere.

The shocks should be salvageable, the same with the front forks. One of the front fork upper tubes on my '85 had score marks that illustrated to me that this was a replacement or had been abused by the POs. Upper tubes for these bikes are not inexpensive.

Some shiny bits that other members may want but that would have to be determined. I don't believe I would keep much for the reason you and Dan mention. Have to consider in all this that finding certain parts and most of the time being from the US is not that convenient and with exchange and shipping, may be best to sift through something like this, be very selective and toss the rest.

Mind is in overdrive on this. These do not come up even in this state very often here on the island.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200632#p200632:10njfmy8 said:
julimike54 » Today, 5:27 pm[/url]":10njfmy8]
You haven't bought it yet??????? :)

Nope! Will be meeting with my Bailiff friend tomorrow morning for coffee to get info on how it will happen. Maybe he'll just take my offer and go with it, he has that authority.

Besides, aren't you and the others supposed to be chiming in here and telling me to run, not walk, away from this? :doh:

We love old Wings on here. . . if you were expecting a "no", go talk to your significant other. :mischief:

Latest posts