Longterm storage of a perfectly working OEM carb rack?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says. What should be done to ensure a rack survives storage? I drained the bowls, but what else? Is there some magic potion that I should spray into them to help prevent the rubber from drying out? If I get sick of these Webers, it would be nice to think the rack would run as well when I put it back on as it did when I took it off.

I don't think I've heard this discussed here...

I wonder if kerosene would work also, it's pretty oily. Anything that will coat everything and not dry out, should work. I like the idea of a sealed bag or container. Keep the outside world from getting on the inside and keep dust from collecting on the outside. Depending on how long the storage, the plastic bag may start to crumble, just had this occur on some parts I was storing in bags. I'm changing over to a foil wrap, it'll keep stuff out (my goal).

Never tried it myself. Seems a light spray of white lithium grease on inside and outside surfaces and even passages would protect well. Once fuel is introduced it should flush it all through. Maybe put in plastic then wrapped in a taped up cardboard box. I think that would be what I tried.

Oh crap, now I have to go locate six racks of carbs and re-treat them for proper storage! Well maybe only three, 'cause the other three weren't running when I got them...

Draining the bowls is good ...as long as the E-10 is out. WD 40 works good for storage quick spray and then use a spray carb cleaner before installed again, My CBX runs AV Gas only 100 LL no ethanol..Had just been gone through the carbs and used Vitron rubber rebuild kits. Don't ride it much .....Like sitting on a Popsicle stick 1970's tech :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200908#p200908:2n34955f said:
Fstsix » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 pm[/url]":2n34955f]
. Don't ride it much .....Like sitting on a Popsicle stick 1970's tech :BigGrin:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200908#p200908:ul4tvr71 said:
Fstsix » Yesterday, 9:21 pm[/url]":ul4tvr71]
Draining the bowls is good ...as long as the E-10 is out. WD 40 works good for storage quick spray and then use a spray carb cleaner before installed again, My CBX runs AV Gas only 100 LL no ethanol..Had just been gone through the carbs and used Vitron rubber rebuild kits. Don't ride it much .....Like sitting on a Popsicle stick 1970's tech :BigGrin:

FYI Vought Aero. banned WD40 from the manufacturing facility. Reason given was that the chemicals will affect aluminum and other metals in the aircraft structure. Can't positively say it will damage the carbs, but I would do research before trying that. It may have to do with some strange reactions between the coatings used for the aluminum or ? The plant gave hundreds of cases away to employees to get rid of it. For storage that could be a long term reaction time, not sure how you would investigate. This is third hand info from two different employees of Vought (one was my Dad, an aeronautical engineer).

This was several years back and I don't know if they changed their stance since. Just passing it along for the info.