82 GL1100 update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
its been a while since ive been here. Ive had my GL1100 for a few years now and have put on about 12000 miles on it. Its been relatively problem free since I overhauled the whole bike. Its fun to ride and quit different from my Harleys which is a nice change from time to time. I kept it with original mufflers etc.

I did recall at some point that members said you could not run 20/50 in these bikes because it would make the starter hang up. I don't recall exactly how or why this was the argument. However I can say that for the last 2 years now I have been running Amsoil 20/50 and have had No such issues. I live in FL and ride year round so ride in 40 degree and 100 degree weather. I found it easier to run the same oil in all 3 of my bikes.

Can someone chime in here and let me know what the issue was with the 20/50?

Although a contributor, it's not so much the viscosity, but seems to be more related to inactivity (or dirty oil). The centrifigal starter clutch doesn't get direct oiling - and does occasionally hang if it sits for a while. Dirty oil can make it worse. Of course there are cases where this happens regardless as they age. Darn things were completely trouble-free for only 35 or 40 years.

I'd run the 20/50 and not worry about it. Especially in Florida.

I run 20 50 in my 83 without issue. I is in the factory manual for use in temps above ~40 degrees F. Which for here in SoCal is like always !

Attachments

• OIL.png
    OIL.png
    530.1 KB · Views: 89
I wish I could remember the prior postings, been a few years but remember it and also recall not knowing why oil itself would cause starter to hang up. It could however been from another Goldwing forum.

Either way mine runs like a new bike always. only has 22k miles on it and I did water pump, belts, valve adjustments. and rebuilt carburetors which are perfect. Only issue is the shifter shaft leaks oil and its due to someone digging it out and messing up the surface. I will pull it again and replace once more and use a little rtv to assist it. It is due for valve adjustment so will have to get to it soon.

Latest posts