get out your ohio map

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detdrbuzzard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got out Saturday morning about 6:40, took warren rd. west to m-39. it was overcast and 41* out but I was pretty warm with my electric jacket liner on and set to low, should have grabbed the electric gloves. on m-39 I headed south then took I-75 south. traffic was unusually light but I was thinking " should have taken the electric gloves " don't know why my hands were cold with the hand wings closed and the joe rocket nitrogen gloves on.. traffic in Toledo was light also, my first stop for fuel was in north baltamore, oh. it was warming up and my hands were thawing out and I was happy to be out of the construction zone. there are a couple three spots on I-75 in ohio where construction is really bad. once again traffic was light on rt-15 / us-23 so the trip into Columbus was peaceful. I stopped in Columbus to set the gps for lake hope state park but the gps couldn't find it so I set the gps for hotel mcarthur in mcarthur, oh and it routed me there. once in mcarthur the gps found lake hope state park. I was heading there to meet up with cousin jeff and turbojim but time wise I was very late and did not expect them to be waiting for me.

I found their camp site, it was up on a ridge looking down on part of the park, very nice. my plan before leaving home was to camp with them but the GF started fussing " you already have problems with hay fever so why the heck would you want to camp and smell grass all day? you need to get a room "
I got a room over in Chillicothe, oh. I tried calling jeff a couple times but the area isn't known for cell service and jeff doesn't have texting on his phone. I haven't met turbojim so that wasn't an option either. I picked up some brochers and took a few pic's to show I was there though. not knowing their plan for sunday I decided to make my own adventure of it. . I stayed at the Chillicothe inn, nothing special about the place just a nice enough place to get some rest. sunday morning i was done refueling and on the road by 8:20, I took us-23 south and stopped at the rest area near or in Lucasville, my hands were still cold even though it was 53* what's going on with my hands? from there I kept going south for Portsmouth and got thereabout an hour later.being early on a sunday morning there wasn't much traffic to talk about

I use to get road runner magazine and it had a write up in one issue about riding on rt-52 in ohio, they must have rode between cincy and Indiana cause form Portsmouth to cincy was a nice ride but lacked sienery of the ohio river. I took the I-471 loop and took a quick break in fort Thomas, ky, I didn't mean to cross into Kentucky, but I should have taken the loop to Columbus, it would have put me north of cincy. back on I-471 I made it to cincy, and traffic was bad! it wouldn't be getting any better either cause I-471 puts you right in construction on I-75. to be followed by more construction on I-75 going north and one more construction zone. I was happy to see Toledo, no more construction. I was realyy happy to see the " welcome to Michigan " sign until traffic came to a stop! more construction but at least I knew how to detour around it, I took dunbar rd. west and picked up us-24. I could have jumped back on I-75 or taken I-275 but it was more relaxing just to stay on us-24. once close to the city I took warren rd. east and made it home around 17:00 ( 5pm ). 381 miles for the weekend

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134364#p134364:ltsg2yp5 said:
joedrum » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:14 pm[/url]":ltsg2yp5]
sheesh nice ride to i bet weather wise
other than the construction on I-75 the ride was really good and while cloudy most of Saturday it never even sprinkled. sunday was absolutely great for riding. visiting south east ohio just makes me want to take another trip there

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134369#p134369:1ei4jrmw said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:59 pm[/url]":1ei4jrmw]
I envy that you can ride so often.
If I didn't have to work I sure wouldn't be at home.
well I had planned on riding down Friday ( I took Friday off ) but got a call Thursday saying that the guys had not moved the super-K or the '75 cb750 to my sisters new house so we got it done Friday and while I planned to ride with cousin jeff it didn't happen. sometimes you just gotta take a day off ( if you can ) to go riding, I took a long weekend when I rode down to joe's. I just split up my vacation time at work to fit around riding time and I still have close to 70hrs of vacation time to use up before next june, if it isn't used I get a pay check which pays for a few nights at a motel / hotel

Lots of very excellent roads throughout Ohio, When I was young my dad would take me out on his MotoGuzzi on hwy 800 or Cleveland Rd I think it was, down south of Canton...Beautiful area, we lived on 49`th street just off Cleveland.
Have fun.

Latest posts