Can anyone identify the engine?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love these rat-Mad Max bikes. Can anyone tell me what was used on this one? That 4 cylinder has an off-center output that lines up with a shaft drive bike nicely. Could it be from a small 4WD and that's for the front drive? Transfer case? PTO?

Attachments

• IsleofWhiteRatBike.jpg
    IsleofWhiteRatBike.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 316
1.6 Ford Sneezle engine, out of a European Fiesta. :yes:
What appears to be a front driveshaft hub is actually the passenger side axle hub of the transmission, if it was in the car.

AHA! I never thought of that! It's a transverse engine out of a front wheel drive! That means the drive to the other side has to be locked down. It also has reverse. I can't tell but it could be automatic. There's a lever made out of two wrenches welded together but I don't know it that shift or clutch. Hmmm. I wonder if I could stuff one into a Wing frame....

Look how far the trans case hangs out and down. Right turns might be a bit hairy, that's going to hit the ground.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137329#p137329:w2c98t71 said:
chuck c » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:38 pm[/url]":w2c98t71]
That means the drive to the other side has to be locked down.
It is a standard(5 speed). :good:
Most likely, the axle/spider gear have been welded, so the "front" shaft is also spinning. If that shaft is locked, and the other allowed to turn, the spider gears in the diff would be working super-overtime, and the diff would fail really quick. Not sure how well it shifts...the two wrenches are indeed the shift mechanism, which is a solid shaft out of the trans case at the bottom. It has to move both forward/rearward, AND left/right, without the pivoting motion that a "normal" car shifter would have. Bet that's a lot of fun in traffic....NOT! :smilie_happy:
Look how close the rear tire is to the back of the trans...eeeeek! :hihihi:
It's kinda neat, tho.... :good:

Well if the other side is still turning you've got me wondering what that could be used for. I've got it, 2 wheel drive! It seems to have no rear suspension so at least the tire won't get any closer. He must have a foot clutch on the other side, I don't think he can operate that clutch by hand.

Uh, I don't see any brakes.....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137361#p137361:q2pp2t2w said:
Ansimp » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm[/url]":q2pp2t2w]
Did anyone read the writing on the tank?
It says Diesel Engined!!

By george, you're right. That makes it even more awesome. It looks like that exhaust is completely burned out at the sharp turn, am I right? That would blow hot exhaust right up the riders' :sensored:

Ansimp":oehcv47j said:
Did anyone read the writing on the tank?
It says Diesel Engined!!

Uh..yeah...I said it was a sneezle....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137322#p137322:oehcv47j said:
AApple » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:14 pm[/url]":eek:ehcv47j]
1.6 Ford Sneezle engine, out of a European Fiesta. :yes:
What appears to be a front driveshaft hub is actually the passenger side axle hub of the transmission, if it was in the car.

:whistling: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

When you said sneeze Joel I just thought you meant anaemic Ford Fiesta engine :hihihi:

this is a great point but a little off topic ...many of us including me have the fiesta 32-32 carb on there oldwings ... and this is what this carb is jetted for ..the anemic 1.6 motor of the fiesta ...and the number one reason the stock jetting for this carb is not ideal for the oldwing high reving motor... ok back to the sneezle :smilie_happy:

This picture popped up on the random images, and I started looking at it a little closer, for my own benefit. I like the 12 oz. coke/beer can at the front of the engine, just not sure what it holds. The rear rim looks like a stamped rim from a car, with a car tire on it? Wonder what kind of mileage that setup gets?

Brad

Latest posts