Should we expand the forum?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I've had a few members in the last year or more ask if we'd ever expand the forum to include other models of Goldwings.

As the name suggests "Classic Goldwings and "classic" is generally at 25 years and older I'm inclined to vote for expansion be limited to the GL1000 and the GL1200 since the 1984 1200 is already over 25 years old.

This is YOUR forum so let's hear it, what do you want to see?

Hell Yea... I think it would be a great idea to include the 1000's and 1200's
But how would we do it? Triple each section in the forum.. One for each engine size?
Or before you see all the sections you have to first select the engine size from the list of three

It is nice having a forum specifically for for the 1100's, so you don't have to sort thru posts for other models, but the forum will probably be more successful if it is expanded to include the 1000 thru 1200's. I would vote to expand it, but not beyond the 1200. (at least not until I get a 1500 :)). I would leave the format as is, and try and get everyone to identify what model they are posting about. Much of the info will relate to other models anyway.

I agree that we should expand to include 1000's and 1200's, they certainly are classic goldwings! :music:

Dan, maybe you could post some of the ideas about how it could be expanded and still fit the board.

dan filipi":svw7ckcv said:
I created this forum because I couldnt find a forum on the net which dealt with some specific peculiarities of the GL1100.
Of course all model Goldwing owners are welcome.

I see no reason to leave out those other fellers...as long as they got 4 cylinders, and it says "Goldwing" on it somewhere... :mrgreen:
Just need to make sure that when posting info/questions that the engine size is clear, since there are differences in them. Not enough, maybe, to cause too much confusion, but who knows?
Just don't let any of them guys with the "Auto Wave-back" buttons on here... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yeah the 1000 should be included ... they started the craze... and the 12"s well their the lil kids on the block.. hate to have them cry cuz they not included (can't ya tell I got grandkids???)....

I feel one of the most important aspects of having a specialized forum is that it makes searching the forum for answers much easier.
With the 4 cylinder Goldwing a search for "coolant leak from crossover tube" will return pretty much the same results because the 1000, 1100 and 1200 are the same design.

Keeping the search function "workable" so we can search a specific model, the models need to be in their own forum.
Here's a few screen shots of what I have in mind.
With Sub Forums a search can be refined to search that specific model and forum.
(click on a image to make it bigger)

This is the start page which would have "Sub Forums" listed under Shop Talk and Tech References.

MainPage.JPG

Then when clicking on Shop Talk And Tech References this page opens with Sub Categories by model:

ShopTalkSubForumListing.JPG

I like this layout because it keeps the Main page and sub forums and categories clean, organized and uncluttered.

Thoughts?

Here's what I mean about the search function.

"Coolant leak" could be searched by the specific model:
SubForumSearch.JPG

Or as a general search in the Shop Talk forum which would include all the other models:
ShopTalkSearch.JPG

That looks fairly workable...doesn't seem overly complicated, or "fussy". :mrgreen:

detdrbuzzard":2udopely said:
i ride a 1200 aspy and a 1500 se. i think it would be nice to see the 1200 on the board but it would be nice to see 1500 wings on someone's board, you just don't see much for 1500 wings

I own a GL 1100 and a GL 1500. I finds a lot of information for the GL 1500 on the Steve Saunders forms that you are a member of. I see most all question/fixes answered by the knowable, careing, informative, GL 1500 owners/riders there.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/

I like the way it is only a sub forum per engine size in shop talk. I too think this is workable and will be very helpful for searching a specific model without having to peruse 10,000 other posts. (Of course I am assuming that this board will have that many posts in no time again!! I guarantee it!)

I usually just scan the active topics and as long as that stays the same I have no issues either way... and if it is a specific need for a model yeah I can see tucking it away.. in subheadings... :| :| :|

Wichita Scorpion":71b02mz0 said:
detdrbuzzard":71b02mz0 said:
i ride a 1200 aspy and a 1500 se. i think it would be nice to see the 1200 on the board but it would be nice to see 1500 wings on someone's board, you just don't see much for 1500 wings

I own a GL 1100 and a GL 1500. I finds a lot of information for the GL 1500 on the Steve Saunders forms that you are a member of. I see most all question/fixes answered by the knowable, careing, informative, GL 1500 owners/riders there.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/
didn't say there are none just not many

i know this forum is 1100 specific but i found that the most helpful comments came from this forum. even tho my bike is a 1000. im just glad the forum is back up and running. temps are getting cold here in indiana going to start a new project on my gl forward controls ,bags and trunk and trailer i'll need a new forum category half 1000 half 1100 just kidding joedrum.

joedrum":1gr037px said:
i know this forum is 1100 specific but i found that the most helpful comments came from this forum. even tho my bike is a 1000. im just glad the forum is back up and running. temps are getting cold here in indiana going to start a new project on my gl forward controls ,bags and trunk and trailer i'll need a new forum category half 1000 half 1100 just kidding joedrum.

Take lots of pictures!