Getting the most out of your interwebz connection?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very close to 2 bens/mo. He would have went to the higher package (500/500) but couldn't justify the extra expense.

"IF" I could get FIOS here, I'd probably consider the 50/50 or 75/75. I couldn't justify what he has, but he can.

She who must be pleased, would not be!

Some ballpark prices are here: https://dmad.com/verizon-fios-quantum

3994606419.png

COX cable doubled the speed on my tier since I started this thread.

~O~

Nice Randy, I am really getting jealous of all you ultra high speed guys... :mrgreen:

Reviving an old thread... :wave:
ATT keeps sending me messages that they are upgrading our innernet services....I'm curious to find out if that means my down/upload speeds will improve. Since we're dead here at the shop today(all week, actually), I figured I'd check this laptop/service and see what they have here, and here is the results for the laptop I have in my building room....

Not too shabby, I s'pose. However...this machine is a turd...HP2000 Notebook w/Winders 10. I'll hafta remember to test my home PC this evening and see where it is now.... :yes:

Before "upgrade"...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87021#p87021:22rmo4it said:
AApple » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 pm[/url]":22rmo4it]

Today....

Funny how 3 years ago, I was slower than 65% of US @ 6mbps, but today, @ 7.69mbs, I'm slower than 71% of US.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: OH the times, they are a-changin!! :wave:

Amazing the money we throw away today.

My parents both worked...we didn't have internet fees ($75 month), personal phone for everyone in the house ( I pay for 3 now, was 5- $150 month). We didn't have dish or cable ($70 month). Hell my dad didn't even have a pager. Add to that all the "misc" fees on these and other utility bills that keep getting added and always going up.
I long for the simpler times.

Here I was stoked that I finally had 21 Mbps download with a 1.5 Mbps upload with our new NBN ( National Broadband Network) in July as it was way faster than our 3.5 Mbps ADSL plan. :doh:

On the 6th of December I noticed that I didn't have any internet and now with the NBN the landline ( which we have had for 24 years) doesn't work as it is now a VOIP based phone. Service technician arrives on the 8th and was able to figure out that the fault is 2.4klms from the house which puts it on a copper aerial cable in the street. Our NBN is a hybrid system as it is optic fibre to the node and then uses the old copper lines in the street and the copper underground in our property to the NBN modem. The government decided that a full optic system was too expensive so unless you are in suburbia then this was the preferred system using a combination of new and old. As most of us don't want to pay a massive premium for our internet it sounded like a sensible idea. Not far from our rural lifestyle there is a new satellite city ( Suburb) which has optic to the home which would have available speeds 10 times mine if you are prepared to pay the premium.
As of today my internet has still not been repaired and we have a temporary phone which is either cellular or satellite ( I don't care which because it is plug and play and it works!). Our internet is now courtesy of my mobile phone which is being used as the Hotspot modem. I have informed my service provider that I want to return to my old slower ADSL system where my landline only stops working when the line is broken ( not when the power is out or the NBN modem is turned off) or the handset faulty. Unfortunately when the government did the deal with NBN Co to supply our new internet system they agreed that the old ADSL system would be shutdown and there would be no going back. I was assured by the Telecommunication Ombudsman's office ( formal complaint when I was in hospital and told that the aerial fault wouldn't be fixed until the 5th of Jan) that my service would be repaired by the 10th of Jan. :head bang:
2 days to go and I can see this escalating.... :whistling:

Incredible speed!! My wife and daughters can talk that fast, but I can't understand them. All I hear at that speed is "gabble, gabble, gabble".

I'm envious, but I don't think I need service that can upload in .01 seconds something that took me 2 days to type. Here in the cornfields, the best we can get is Charter at 16MB down and 2MB up ($65 per month).

However, at 1 GB, you may be able to find the end of the Internet.

On a related topic, has anyone came up with a way to take the Internet with you when you go camping? I'm thinking about cutting the cable and going to a "hot spot" in the house. That way, I can put it in the camper and take it with us. I don't need Internet at the house if we aren't there.

Tom

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185729#p185729:2z7aq249 said:
dan filipi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 pm[/url]":2z7aq249]
Got fiber yesterday!

Full bar!!

image.php

Now yer just showin off....how RUDE.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :good:

Latest posts