Need advice again! Car trouble...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ended up buying 2011 Ford E150 van for my dirt bike transporter.

IMG_20160411_173947.jpg

It got hi-roof kit installed so really comfy inside.
It was commercially used and got very high mileage (288,000 miles).

I put around 300 miles so far.
Last Saturday, my son and I went to the kart track for motorcycle practice session.
On the way, the "Service Engine Soon" warning light started blinking. It came and went. Seemed to come on under heavy acceleration (like tranny down shift on uphill).
I stopped and checked oil level which was okay but I put 1 qt. anyways.
After that the light stopped blinking so I thought that was it.

But on the way home it happened again and by the time we arrived home, the light was solidly lit.

The service manual says something to do with emission control system..

Where should I take the van?
Dealers (stealers), small shops, big chain auto service shops?

Take it to Autozone or whatever parts store will read the codes free for you. Could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or one of 4 oxygen sensors. Good luck!

If it's staying lit you'll need to get it fixed or at least clear the codes (and hope it doesn't go back on) to get a smog test.
I have a check engine light come and go. Other than checking fluids are good I ignore it.

Yeah get trouble code scanned.
Emissions code could be many components:
Catalatic converter, gas cap, oxygen sensors,or more commonly
Fords have ERG valve problems or deteriated vacuum lines that go to it.
A smoke test will find any leakers.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173789#p173789:iihi8q2i said:
Terry » Mon May 23, 2016 7:47 am[/url]":iihi8q2i]
Yeah get trouble code scanned.
Emissions code could be many components:
Catalatic converter, gas cap, oxygen sensors,or more commonly
Fords have ERG valve problems or deteriated vacuum lines that go to it.
A smoke test will find any leakers.

I see.
It just got passed the smog test though.. (I had to do it to transfer the title.)

One thing I did was to drill holes through the cargo area floor to mount wheel chocks. I hope it didn't accidentally damage something below..

Ya...take it to autozone and get them to scan it, and get the printout. Post the codes here, and we'll point ya in the right direction. It's possible you poked a hole in a hose while drilling, no doubt. Get the codes pulled first.... :good:

Went to AutoZone. They say in CA, only mechanics can read the code. Otherwise it's illegal.
So I made an appointment with AAMCO for tomorrow. They will do it for free.

Yea I think it is Ammco that has a commercial I hear they will read them free ..Maybe might want to buy one of those cheapy readers made for vehicle specific systems..I bought one for my Ford truck for 35 bucks on ebay..Yours is newer Ford and I heard of jumping 2 wires and the code comes up on your dash but nothing beats a plug in and a knowledgeable mechanic.

Consider the source...It was a dude from Auto Zone that said that :roll:

The way people think and talk these days...illegal can mean company policy prohibits the employees because of insurance liability.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173828#p173828:1dq2opqx said:
dan filipi » Tue May 24, 2016 6:03 am[/url]":1dq2opqx]
Consider the source...It was a dude from Auto Zone that said that :roll:

The way people think and talk these days...illegal can mean company policy prohibits the employees because of insurance liability.

Well, I went to O Reilly first then AutoZone. They both told me the same thing.

I just googled this topic and it's all over the auto related message boards.

Not definitive but it sounded like CA state law.. to prevent people from resetting the warning and pass the smog test.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173830#p173830:12zf6ejy said:
skiri251 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 am[/url]":12zf6ejy]
Not definitive but it sounded like CA state law.. to prevent people from resetting the warning and pass the smog test.

Well...maybe yes and no...
Clearing a code(or multiple codes) also clears emissions monitors....which in itself will fail an emissions test anywhere, not just Callyfornya. The vehicle would then need to complete a "drive cycle test" before the emissions related monitors would pass. Drive cycle procedures are different for every manufacturer, so there's no one way to get them to complete....you just have to drive them the way the manufacturer states to get all of the monitor tests to run, and pass. Sometimes you can just drive the car for a few days normally, and sometimes it may take a month before all of the tests will run. On OBDII cars('96 & up), testing stations plug into the vehicle diagnostic port, and the vehicle's PCM will tell the station whether or not ALL of the tests have run, and whether or not they passed or failed. If they have all run and passed, then they will do the complete inspection. If not, then they will stop right there, and fail the vehicle.
It is LEGAL for ANYONE to purchase and use an OBDII scanner/code reader, so there's no fear of buying one yourself, and checking your own vehicle for codes. There are many reasonably priced code readers out there, depending on how sophisticated you want it to be. You can clear codes yourself if you want, but if you have a state inspection due, you'll have to find out the manufacturer's specific drive cycle procedure, and try to get the tests to run and pass before inspection time. On Fords, anytime the codes are cleared, it sets a "P1000" code, meaning codes AND emissions related data have been erased, and the drive cycle has not been done/completed("OBDII tests not run"). Once the drive cycle has been completed, the PCM will clear that code, and the vehicle will be ready for inspection....assuming no other emissions related codes set in the meantime.
As far as Autozone/Pepgurls not being able to scan for codes, that would have to be a Calli deal....I've never heard of it. Why would AAMCO be able to do it, but not the parts place? Prolly because an auto repair shop has the ability to repair the vehicle....autozone can't.

hth :mrgreen:

I'll see if I can get the procedure for a 2011 E-150....

Ford brainiacs":12zf6ejy said:
The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBD monitors. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the OBD Monitor Exercised column. For the EVAP monitor to run, the ambient air temperature must be between 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100°F), and the altitude below 2,438 meters (8,000 feet). If the OBD monitors must be completed in these conditions, the powertrain control module (PCM) must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be bypassed and OBD monitors readied. The EVAP bypassing procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBD drive cycle is carried out using a scan tool. Refer to the manufacturer's instruction manual for each described function.

A detailed description for clearing the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) is found. Refer to Clear The Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) And Reset The Emission Monitors Information in The Powertrain Control Module (PCM). See: Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes\Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes / With Manufacturer's Scan Tool\Clear the Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and Reset the Emission Monitors Information in the Powertrain Control Modu

Drive Cycle Recommendations

WARNING: Strict observance of posted speed limits and attention to driving conditions are mandatory when proceeding through the following drive cycles. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

1.Most OBD monitors complete more readily using a steady foot driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a smooth fashion minimizes the time required for monitor completion.
2.The fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 full with 3/4 full being the most desirable.
3.The evaporative monitor can operate only during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize fuel slosh.
4.When bypassing the EVAP engine soak times, the PCM must remain powered (key ON) after clearing the continuous DTCs and relearning emission diagnostic information.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:

The following procedure is designed to execute and complete the OBD monitors. To complete a specific monitor for repair verification, follow steps 1 through 4, then continue with the step described by the appropriate monitor found under the OBD Monitor Exercised column. For the EVAP monitor to run, the ambient air temperature must be between 4.4 to 37.8°C (40 to 100°F), and the altitude below 2,438 meters (8,000 feet). If the OBD monitors must be completed in these conditions, the powertrain control module (PCM) must detect them once (twice on some applications) before the EVAP monitor can be bypassed and OBD monitors readied. The EVAP bypassing procedure is described in the following drive cycle.

The OBD drive cycle is carried out using a scan tool. Refer to the manufacturer's instruction manual for each described function.

A detailed description for clearing the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) is found. Refer to Clear The Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) And Reset The Emission Monitors Information in The Powertrain Control Module (PCM). See: Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes\Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes / With Manufacturer's Scan Tool\Clear the Continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and Reset the Emission Monitors Information in the Powertrain Control Modu

Drive Cycle Recommendations

WARNING: Strict observance of posted speed limits and attention to driving conditions are mandatory when proceeding through the following drive cycles. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

1.Most OBD monitors complete more readily using a steady foot driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a smooth fashion minimizes the time required for monitor completion.
2.The fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 full with 3/4 full being the most desirable.
3.The evaporative monitor can operate only during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize fuel slosh.
4.When bypassing the EVAP engine soak times, the PCM must remain powered (key ON) after clearing the continuous DTCs and relearning emission diagnostic information.

For best results, follow each of the following steps as accurately as possible:

(I'll have to download the rest...it is all graphics, and I can't copy/past it here.... :rant: )

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173803#p173803:1y5wzp21 said:
skiri251 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:15 pm[/url]":1y5wzp21]
Went to AutoZone. They say in CA, only mechanics can read the code. Otherwise it's illegal.
So I made an appointment with AAMCO for tomorrow. They will do it for free.
Same policy for Autozone in New Jersey. They will give you the codes, but you have to go home and look them up.

I had dealer replace the fuel pump assembly and when they did, they reset the computer. Also needed an update I think. When I first picked it up i swear it had a good 30% more power. Unfortunately once the computer learnt it's thing the power dropped back to usual.
A chip is on my wish list.

Very interesting..

I read E-150 manual and there is a state called "Not ready for I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) testing". Does it mean the vehicle cannot be smog tested?

There is a way to tell if it's in this state or not. Switch on the ignition and wait 15 seconds w/o starting the engine. If the warning light blinks eight times, then it is in this state. I tried that and it did not blink.

So if I disconnect the battery to reset things, the engine will be in the above state?

Anyway, went to AAMCO and dropped off tha van (I thought they would do it immediately but apparently not). I will know the code in a few hours I hope.

Latest posts