Noisy a/c compressor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
In my 78 Mercury. I recharged the system and it seems to work fine but it makes a loud nasty growl. Is there a spray cleaner that can clean and quiet it? Do I have to replace the clutch on the compressor? Is that difficult? Any special tools needed? I always liked the heat so I never bothered to fix one before. Now I do need at least one vehicle with working a/c.

It was growling with barely any gas. Gauge says pressure is right. Maybe even just a little under charged.

If it was growling with low gas its is either the idler/clutch bearing or the compressor has had it :(

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174172#p174172:bsennxdb said:
slabghost » Yesterday, 8:14 pm[/url]":bsennxdb]
In my 78 Mercury. I recharged the system and it seems to work fine but it makes a loud nasty growl. Is there a spray cleaner that can clean and quiet it? Do I have to replace the clutch on the compressor? Is that difficult? Any special tools needed? I always liked the heat so I never bothered to fix one before. Now I do need at least one vehicle with working a/c.

There are several reasons an automotive rotary ac compressor would become noisy.
Did you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove any trapped air or moisture from it before charging it up?
Most common growling issue would be from a dry/defective compressor clutch bearing or a misaligned pulley or belt issue.
I think Joel is good with these type issues too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174172#p174172:h5qa8guc said:
slabghost » Mon May 30, 2016 7:14 pm[/url]":h5qa8guc]

Imma guessin this dinosaur has a York style compressor.
questions...
Did it work at all before charging it? If it was working before, was it making this same noise?
Did it have 134 in it before? If not, did you flush the system and change the oil in the compressor to a 134 compatible oil? R12 uses an mineral based oil, 134 uses a PAG oil, as a rule of thumb. When retrofitting, you can get by with an Ester oil, as it will mix with a mineral oil. PAG oil will NOT mix with a mineral oil....it's bad ju-ju.
Does it make noise with the A/C turned off, or only with it on? If it growls while the system is off, then that means the pulley bearing is no good. If only while the system is ON, then it's an internal problem....no easy fix for that at all...

If the system has been "dry" for a while, and you just charged it up, it's likely the compressor is dry, and was dry when you charged it. Nothing you can do for that but replace the compressor, flush the system, and replace the dryer. Not sure what kind of regulation system the car has, orifice tube, STV, or POA valve. If it has the orifice tube, then it can be cleaned/replaced fairly easily....orifice tubes are only aboot $6.

btw...Mitchell says it should take aboot 4lbs of freon(for R12...134 will be less) What kind of pressures were you seeing, and are you monitoring both high and low sides?

I disconnected the compressor when I first bought the cars a few years ago because of the noise. It is indeed a dinosaur and had only enough charge left in it to make the schrader valve barely hiss. So yes I took the shortcut. I put on the adapter fitting on the low side and used two large cans of a 134 mixed with oil,sealant and a dye. Probably not 4lb but in the green on my cheapy charge gauge and hose. It is cooling nicely though. I suppose I will need to find another compressor. Design on this system has it running in all but the vent mode.

As Joel said you need a full flush to clean out the old mineral oil before you can retrofit with 134a unless it has already been done in the past.

Well I finally found a compressor I could afford. I installed it yesterday. Charge is still a bit light and running about 23lb pressure. But it is cooling nicely and no more growl. I'll get a bit more 134 in it today.

Well...that was quick! :smilie_happy:
Glad it's cooling now....bout that time of year we need it!! :heat:

Only about 11 months! Actually only 3 days from purchase to delivery and two days of procrastination. Finished the charge up today and it's doing fine.

Latest posts