Building an Ultralight airplane

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwhittemore07885

Reaction score
So this is a new one for me and I know I am likely getting in way over my head but my girlfriend has sparked my imagination with her obsessive desire to become a pilot. I beleive with my mechanical skills and attention to detail I just might make this work and I already have a powerplant in mind being my gl1200 engine on the crashed 85 I bought. Im going back to the drawing board now to decide on materials and design but as I dive deeper into this I will keep yall updated. Just felt like fellow wingers would enjoy seeing goldwing stuff being used in other applications. Will post pictures when I start the build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that is too much motor for ultra light class plane. Ultra lights and experimental class do not require pilots license I think.

Kind of a heavy engine for an ultralight...don't they usually use air-cooled engines to save weight? My 6-cylinder Corvair engine weighs just a bit more than a 4-cylinder Wing engine, and doesn't need a radiator/hoses/tubes... You can lose all the transmission and clutch parts to lighten it up. If it works, it would be an awesome build! We'll be watching...

No license required on a single person aircraft weighing no more than 254 lbs (empty weight) with a fuel capacity less than 5 gals . I just read up on that portion a few minutes ago and i beleive a stripped engine will be light enough to use because who is really gonna put the dang thing on a scale in my hay field

Best of luck in this project. Most if not all of the transmission components can be removed to save weight. If it works out I may just build the same. I always loved flying but hate airports these days.

The engine itself isnt very heavy when you dump the trans off the back thats where most the weight is

Im going to reseach it very extensively before i commit money to it but it looks fairly straight forward and should not be too incredibly difficult if you keep it simple and logical.

I love the idea and would follow the thread! I am not sure where or how long ago it was, but someone else used a Suburu boxer engine for an ultralight. If I can find it again I'll post the video.

Well, the transmission is inside the case, under the crankshaft, and the rear housing contains the clutch, starter drive, and alternator.

The primary chain, transmission main shaft, and clutch basket will need to stay, as the oil and water pumps are chain-driven off the clutch. The secondary trans shaft, output shaft, gears, and shifter parts can go away. What a fun project! :good:

There are plenty of Corvair-powered airplanes out there, but I don't believe they're considered to be ultralights. Power-to-weight ratio is what you're looking for...I'm sure you are well aware of that.

Im not one very fond of following rules because frankly who is gonna hop up there and check the weight on me ? As long as i avoid airports or any city i dont see anyone ever questioning it as i live 30 miles from civilization

I read years ago one test for ultra light aircraft was to lift it from the ground. Perhaps a picture of one man lifting it will be enough to comply with the rules?

If one man lifting it is the test im good as long as i keep it under 450 lbs

Funny I was just looking at kit planes last week. So far I haven't found any I could begin to afford. My yard would be better suited to a very small helicopter but they are extremely expensive.

No kidding lol thats why i plan to just build one myself because i dont sure cant afford to buy one already built. ..... there are several videos on youtube about the birth of ultralights and those dudes have nuts the size of my head to crawl in that thing and leave the ground

The amount of free plans and parts list online is amazing for a sport that is all building your own

Well the goldwing engine is out of the question if I were to keep it legally an ultralight but im very tempted to say screw it and build it anyways worse than can happen is they fine me if they can find me lol

Just a hairbrain idea and a dang good use for all the 3/4 stainless steel tubing i have laying around from building boilers for my neighbor i beleive i have 200 foot left and all kind of cut peices . He is a steam engine junky pretty cool stuff but annoying to get right

Latest posts