A Travellin' We Will Go

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiegold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, the powers that be ( at my place anyway ) hath decreed that now motorcycles are running and in no need of constant cash injections, we should acquire a camping bus and go travelling ....
a yellow one was needed and duly found... here tis. a 1992 Mazda T3500 four cylinder diesel ex emergency services vehicle from Western Australia.
image.php
image.php

this one has VERY low kilometres for its age 143,000
image.php

first job once i got it home was to remove all the seats and brackets that were used in its previous life as the base camp bus for
emergency stuff....
image.php

then some careful choosing of curtain material ??????? and then moved on to fitting the BIGGEST camping fridge the Boss could find. it was actually on sale and a very good buy , but my wordy wordy its a biggun. :BigGrin:
image.php
image.php
image.php

then , on to constructing a bed... or workbench as i call it :roll: halfway through this, an order came down through the ranks to me, that the bed should be capable of being lifted up, to easily access stuff stored under. i foolishly agreed , and soldiered on.
image.php
image.php
image.php

this bed thing is driving me bananas. i have got it somewhere near working ( in a rough mockup) and with some fine tuning it should be working in a couple of years...... :nea:
and now for the newest Honda to join us. a little ripper of a generator , and on sale at a price i just could not pass up.. a bit premature maybe b ut a good saving... :Egyptian:
image.php
image.php

Looks like your work is laid out for you. :whistling: Can you take a bike along somewhere for side trips? :headscratch:

That reefer looks like one of the 12V versions that will keep the contents about 40 degrees F cooler than the ambient temperature. I have a smaller one that plugs into the truck 12V outlet and works well until the inside temperature gets above 80. After that, get an ice chest for the milk & meat.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185681#p185681:1inckrw1 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:19 am[/url]":1inckrw1]
That reefer looks like one of the 12V versions that will keep the contents about 40 degrees F cooler than the ambient temperature. I have a smaller one that plugs into the truck 12V outlet and works well until the inside temperature gets above 80. After that, get an ice chest for the milk & meat.

It is actually a compressor style fridge/freezer by Waeco so you have individually controlled cabinets. If need be you could make one beer and the other who cares. The cooler style units are fairly useless here in Oz unless you are using them to keep drinks cool in an air conditioned cab. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185679#p185679:3iroab8p said:
kerryb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:15 am[/url]":3iroab8p]
Great project! nice looking bus to start with, what does the fridge run on?

12/24v dc and 240v ac our standard voltage here in Oz...

Excellent work Maurice. :good:
Too bad about all that riding time going into new construction but " happy wife - happy life"! :smilie_happy:

thanks for the interest fellas. too hot to ride today or work on the bus so i am at home under the aircon. 40 c today and tomorrow.

i'll try to answer a few questions. :smilie_happy:

the amber lights on the roof will come off, as will the red and white safety tape. the red and white will be replaced with a black stripe.
Bumblebee stickers are being planned.. ha ha.
the floor is actually quite high, although we can both stand up in it easily. plenty of room underneath for water tanks etc.

the fridge is , as Tony ( Ansimp ) said, a 12/24 volt and 240 volt mains type. is is exceptionally efficient. i was surprised , we used
it over Christmas in the garage ( 40c degree days, so at least 50 in the garage ) and it kept things frozen, admittedly on 240
mains power. it has a built in battery moniter and is wifi capable. you can check and set temps etc via an app on yr phone.
i am planning on two 105 amp hour deep cycle batteries, along with a DC to DC smart charger utilising the vehicle charge system
and also a couple of solar panels on the roof.
i reckon with some solar, some vehicle charging, some camp site power and a back up gen set we will be ok. :wave:

a bike.... we are having a trailer made , one that i can load and unload a bike on my own . it will also be enclosed and lockable
so it will carry a few other things as well.
ps
just got back from the mechanics. he has gone over it for a pre registration check and gave it a clean bill of health. apart from
the odd blown light bulb it is all good. very happy with that .it turns out he has one similar and he says a trailer is no
problem at all. he commented that it is in very good shape and a solid base for a
camper.. thats a relief :party:

here is a video of the type of trailer we are having made. it wont be as flash as this one and just room for one bike but the
concept is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-qKg_bR2k4

Stop being sooky, get out in that nice dry 40c plus weather and have some more fun!!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185726#p185726:3bmyeatd said:
kerryb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 am[/url]":3bmyeatd]
That's going to be a great rig. Will the toilet and shower parts go in next?
the shower we have planned will also store the camp toilet, but that will be fitted next to last, because it will require clean water tanks and grey water storage tanks as well, fitted underneath.. i am trying to make a list of things to do in order. i have a habit of jumping from one job to another. :smilie_happy: . next major job will be to have two deep cycle batteries fitted under the floor , if i live through the bed saga that is........ :smilie_happy:
made some more progress on it today ., but i have to go back to work tomorrow, that is 4 hours away and i reckon i will be away for 3
or 4 weeks. M.