white 4-150 ATV project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics
image.php

driving one of these is about like being in tank not much keep it from going ...

image.php

this particular tractor is rather one of a kind in design ...all its weight is inline with the drive axles...this makes it lower than all other tractors like this ..most use drop box trannys in there design making them taller ...this tractor sit low to the ground and is much safer than others when singles tires are on and the duals are off ...great in hillier country...

image.php

with the tires separated like they are ..id say this tractor was a row crop tractor and probably pull a big planter ...12 row planter id say ...it probably also went in the fields after crops were up ..to side dress corn with anhydrous a fertilizer that gas and is knifed in deep in the ground in between the rows ..maybe did spraying and cultivating also ..there would be a row of crop between the two big tires ...

image.php

its original paint im sure white tractor silver paint never did hold up good ..the hood on this is fiberglass in this model ..these tractors had great glass in them and you could see better than in these than any other 4wd out there ...

image.php

one of the best things about this tractor is it has 3 point hitch and pto ..just like 2wd tractors most 4wd tractors of the vintage were just pullers ...this will make this tractor very useful to me ....im very glad to be getting this tractor and to bring up to the best i can ...like oldwings parts a not plentiful...im gambling it driveline is pretty good ...witch by the way is has 6 manual gears forward and 2 reverse ...it also has what they call over and under power shifts on the go ..so if going gets tough you can kick it down to a lower range of the same gear your in or boost it up one range ..whites power shifts were always very good units '''giving this tractor 18 forward gears and 6 reverse gears ....

back in the day ...in the fifties some farmers needed tractors that wouldnt get struck so easy ...big tractors then were about 100hp ..there were farmers that were smart hands people that took two tractor rears and put them together to make a tractor that had four big tires ..built them right on there farms ..some of them actually started making tractors from scratch out of truck parts of the day ..most of these were just pullers ..had no three point hitch or pto to run power driven equipment ...

the white 4-150 was one of the first tractors of 4wd that had all the stuff on it regular tractors had as standard equipment ...most 4wd tractors were quite top heavy and tall from using truck parts to get the gearing right for a tractor ...and were rather not very stable with just single tires on them ...and by then they were reaching 250 hp and some were 300hp and weigh in at close to 30,000 lbs ...

the white was a tractor with 150hp and was made to be able to more things than previous 4wd tractors ...and 150hp in time this was built was not small hp by any means ..this tractor can pull some pretty big tools

the cons on this tractor are its motor for one ...v8 diesels are just not as tough as inline 6 is ...v8s have 5 main bearing and 6s have 7 ...and the torque spread is more better in a 6 as oppose to an 8...many blew the motors up in these white 4wds and they got a bad rap from this ...

the hydraulic and pto system on this tractor has a drive shaft that bends like the tractor does at motor speed ...this was a weak point too ...and if you turned the tractor all the way at full motor speed ,,the tractor did it fine but doing this was hard on the pto drive shaft and hydro system ...many threw these drivshafts completely apart ...

so these tractors needed smart hand people to operate them ..if operated with its load zone for the motor and also for the pto and hydro system they were great tractors ...when i farmed i had a 4wd with a v8 just like this one ..it was just a puller ...but i never had motor problems...it would not pull as hard and work as good as the mighty whitey 2-155 i also used but it was the stay out of trouble tractor ..it only came close to getting stuck once in all the yrs i ran it ..

so in short this was one of the first do all 4wd tractors made and it was a bit under powered compared to others 4wd of the time ...though you wouldnt think so they can pull some big equipment ...i did about 600 acres by myself mostly...and the bigger 4wd tractor were really to big for the slightly hilly farm fields i did ...

driving one of these is about like being in tank not much keep it from going ...

Yep! Here is my then 12 year old daughter driving a White tractor in Ohio:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzpNxxCBSU[/video]

yah this tractor would be great on about any place ...ive already got big plans for it ...these tractors were built so down low and traction perfect ...they had driveline and motor problems ...this was mostly because they just wouldnt slip a tire ..these tractors when you see them at a tractor they pull all the way ....not fast but all the way and if not its because they start jumping up and down not tire slip ..actually launch the whole tractor off the ground before slipping a wheel ...or kill the motor dead ...that why i call this an ATV project this thing will go anywhere and make it own road doing it .... :hihihi:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhlIqqi9V6M[/video]
this tractor is the bigger version of the tractor i got ..also its pulling the disc i use to have also when i farm nice disc ..wings fold over flat on top of the center section and goes right down the road to next field

it is really the same tractor with beefed driveline and more horsepower ...but its the same motor and the 4 150 will pull this disc just as well as this tractor is doing ... :BigGrin:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mK-tqqlVpg[/video]
heres an actual 4 150 pulling the sled ..they reaally had to up the sled weight to stop it from making full pull ...the tractor was design so well and its weight put in all right place of down low at drivline they could pull themselves apart and break things ..for the weight of this tractor it was a bad ass ...slow like a turtle but unstoppable...looks to be pretty much a stock tractor.... :BigGrin:

yah im thinking thats a good sign ...a lot of planters are air powered and blow the seeds in the ground ...farmer had to wire the planters to the alternators to get juice to the planters ...that means probably this tractor wasnt pulled on much hopefully ...and was mostly a planting tractor with lots of traction to pull wide 12 row + planters and do work also after chops were up ..with its seperated tires that went between the rows ..so maybe the 2300 hrs it has on it is correct ...and is low hr machine despite its 42 yrs old ...it also looks like it has sat for yrs ,,as cables and all are struck ...id say it was replace many yrs ago to second string player ....the motos sounds rather good and burns nice ..but it looks like the injection pump seal is leaking ...its also a original motor grey like it is ..if it had been replaced im sure it would have been cat yellow...so im im this ive got rough low hr tractor thats a whole lot better than it looks ...they make diesels now that are rather good at gallions per hr use ..but for 42yr tech the cat 3208 was rather great ...on full load it was about 5 gallions an hr sot this is a lot of tractor without being to much tractor to operate ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189250#p189250:2zgw132a said:
dan filipi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 am[/url]":2zgw132a]
Uh oh, saw wires hanging loose. The Hooch companion for sure!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Poor Joe! :head bang: