This post goes horribly astray...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Title for this post was "Dan's going to LMFAO!"

Been away for a bit first with major PC problems and then RL. Anyway, my messed up PC has turned itself on almost everyday about the same time, since I hooked up it's monitor/KB/mouse to the family lappy. It still wont post when it does this like before but it's lit up like a Christmas tree. Funny thing about the power button it has a credit type card taped over it and one has to lift the card up and push the button because my cat was jumping on top of the case and stepping on the button. Who knew they could do this?

Okay, deviating here... why the eff not? This isn't the first of my computers to do this. The pc I set up for my late brother to use turned on by itself starting 2 or 3 days after his passing. The first and only the first time it happend as I walk by I thought I could smell him. It did for a while and stopped, that pc was retired. Going in chronological order, 3 months ago I was home alone taking a shower and the curtain wrapped around me in the shape of a person like I was being tackled. I screamed and had to push the curtain away, felt resistance, I flung the curtain back ready to rip into my wife just home from the store and playing (ooh I still get angry over this) a bad joke on me. There was no one there. I grabbed my gun in the XXXXXXX still wet naked and ran into the back of the apartment. I found no one, I do have cats but they were all exactly where they were when I went to shower. I don't shower with the curtain closed anymore, it was terrifying and I'm not sure my heart could take it. 2 weeks later I was sitting exactly where I am right now. To my left is a magazine table with family pictures and my bother's Medieval candelabra with three candles. I was grinding away at one of my games and I hear a distinct "tick!" to my left. I turn to see the candle on the left flying end over end quickly in an arc to the right towards my feet. I was alone in the room, and how the eff did the candle on the left get past the two to it's right? The arc wasn't that high/steep. The last incident before the ones that inspired this post was last month, I was seated in the bathroom off my man cave starting my daily routine and the folded towel hung evenly over the curtain rod(the curtain pulled back, both curtains are now pulled back at all times except when Janet showers) started to ridiculously slowly started pulling straight down until it fell to the floor on my feet.

I guess I put up with it because I think I secretly wish it's him. Yay, while proof reading this the TV goes off again by itself, I forgot to mention that happens too. lol, and while putting my name below the TV came back on by itself. :?

-Randy

...and no, I'm not taking the piss.

Uh, I thought "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".

Crazy stuff. And that smelling him part? My wife freaked me out once when she screamed, said she saw her grandmother and, shaking, asked me if I could smell her? (We were living in her grandmother's home at the time).

I've had some that refused to shut off. Until I pulled the plug. Locked up so they wouldn't respond to anything. I've never had one just boot up itself though.

1. Your PC may have the remote start enabled so that someone can ping it form anywhere and turn it on. This is an open invitation for hackers. Check your BIOS settings.

2. Check your connections. A loose cable or wall outlet wire can cause strange things to happen.

3. The candle falling an unusual distance is just another example of Murphy's law, Tom's corollarys, etc. in action. How far sideways can a nut dropped from 12" go? As far as it wants to!!

4. Unless you have a metal plate over the power button, a cat's weight could still be turning the machine on. If the plate can be moved, the cat could be lifting it out of curiosity.

5. I know people can believe they have experienced immaterial or supernatural events, but I also strongly think the events occurred only in their minds. To the believer, my skepticism/pragmatism doesn't matter.

6. My mother and my sisters have talked about supernatural events they experienced, but were not able to duplicate the event with me watching. The "spirits" don't perform around rational observers. :cheeky:

7. Yes, this post could go horribly astray. Maybe it should be moved to "No Holds Barred" so we can all chime in with our experiences or lack of.

Get one of those security cameras. Made for the paranoid. Catch that cat doing something dirty to the computer, then send it to cat detention.

Or, maybe another PC.

Do you put your PC in sleep mode or shut it down completely?
I usually put mine in sleep mode because cold booting takes too long.
After some Windows update, MS turned on some maintenance task in the task scheduler.
So the PC wake up in the middle of night.
I disabled that task obviously.

As for strange occurring, I am not a type to experience it, usually my wife is.
But a few months back, I was in the garage and heard loud foot steps above. Half of the garage roof is a regular roof and the other is a storage room addition. I thought my son was walking around in that area so called out but no reply. Later he says he wasn't there at all.

My wife has been telling me she hears strange noise all over the house.
I am glad I finally experienced it myself. LOL