Hey Navy!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Navy doesn't crash into ships right? I mean all these wrecks must be on the other guys... right? I tend to put all our military/CG on a very high pedestal. We aren't being told the whole story I'll bet. So what do you think Navy?

~O~

I dunno. They've already called the Fitzgerald incident negligence. I believe it. Late at night. Crew and officers on deck complacent. The cyber hacking story helps save a little face. Let's see what news comes from the investigation of the John McCain and then talk about hacking. I say BS. Busy shipping lanes and crews not on their toes.

Have to agree with Brian and desertrefugee. Commanding Officers are always on call especially in restricted waters and shipping lanes. There is generally a specific limit/distance at which the CO is called, and with the liability for US Commanding Officers, I would expect that there are rigorous requirements set forth in ship's standing orders. From looking at the pictures, this ship was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The unfortunate issue is the possible loss of life that is never acceptable.

As for hacking into the ship's system(s), it is a great conspiracy theory, but these ships as are ours are some of the most sophisticated on the planet. The lengths to which our designers/developers go to to ensure that systems cannot be compromised is significant. I would submit that the issue is somewhat closer to home.

Just MHO.

Regards

Ernest Nash LCdr (ret'd)
CDN Navy 1973-1998
Marine Systems Engineering Officer

From the one and only pic I saw it looked like both crews had very inattentive people on watch or this was intentional.

As a licensed ship Captain currently working for a large engineering firm that does a tremendous amount of Navy work, I have a pretty good understanding of what has been going on. Brian's comments are correct. But to add, the bridge teams and control centers are getting younger officers all the team and there is a tremendous lack of seagoing experience on many of these Navy vessels today. There is a very high reliance on the electronic positioning equipment for sure, but it is not likely that hacking is really the issue.

The rules of the road are not being followed. There are quite a few bodies up on the bridge, but only one person can make the final decision to change the vessel's course even if someone else sees that they may be getting into trouble. Here is a recording of the bridge team during one of those incidents. This is the recording preceding the collision between the USS Porter and the Japanese tanker M/V Otowasan in the Straight of Hormuz. This is an audio file only so I can only upload a link to the location. Click on the gcapatin link and the audio file is on their page.

https://gcaptain.com/intense-bridge-conversation-porter/

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6iP16ovz4[/video]

The US Navy has dismissed Vice Adm Joseph Aucoin as commander of the Seventh Fleet following a string of collisions involving warships in Asia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41020729

I can't say I am surprise. I'm just wondering if this is as high up the Chain of Command this is going to go or if others above VADM Aucion will suffer the same fate.