Painted brake rotors (coated)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Has anyone installed these on their vehicle ?? When I bought them this afternoon the parts store guy told me that you should just wash them with soap and water and not to use brake cleaner on them because the brake cleaner would make them squeal like hell. I looked up a video on you tube about them and the guy in the video did not mention anything about cleaning them before installing. The coating wears off where the pads contact . just trying to find out for sure before I put them on
Thanks
in advance Winger 82

forgot to mention these rotors are for your car or truck, not a wing

No it's just a coating that is applied to them to help prevent rust on the rest of the rotor (so they say)

:headscratch: Never heard of anything like that either. Any coating applied to curtail rust on the non-pad surfaces is a neat idea, but....if the pads wear the coating off, where does the coating residue wind up?? Embedded in the pads?
Since I don't know what the heck kind of coating it is, if it were me(and it ain't), I think I would use a rag with brake cleaner on the pad surface only. If they say it will cause them to squeal, then what will stop them from squealing once the pads wear the coating off? Just curious.
Can you give us a brand name, or part number for the rotors?

Need to use brake cleaner and get all grease, oil, dirt, whatever off the rotor where the brake pads will be. Looked at the Carquest web site, no mention of a coating on the rotor where the pads engage. These are "painted" rotors, but the painted part is not where the brake pads engage. Here is the web site: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... 11402233-P

Cheers