Getting the most out of your interwebz connection?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joel's internet connection thread got me to thinking, are you getting the most out of your internet connection? Until recently I wasn't. I'm a gamer and have been paying for a top of the line connection but didn't upgrade my equipment to take full advantage of that costly connection, so I was getting only about a 1/3rd of what I was paying for.

The newest modems are DOCSIS 3.0, if your running a black Motorola surfboard(or other brand) that is a few years old it's probably DOCSIS 2.0. Don't ask me what DOCSIS 3.0 or 2.0 means I don't know. If you're like me you have your PC, smart TV and phone connected with wifi or a CAT 5 ethernet cable to a router. There are two kinds of ethernet Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet when we are talking about routers and the home networks they provide. Home networks are made through NIC cards or their equivalent built into the motherboards of your PCs or smart TVs tablets what have you. if I remember correctly the older network speeds are 10/100(Fast Ethernet) and newer are 10/100/1000(Gigabit Ethernet). Your Smart TVs and newer computers are setup for 10/100/1000(Gigabit) the fastest network available to us.

So lets say you're paying for a highspeed internet connection and you have one or more PCs, tablets, smart TVs and phones connected through a router(ethernet cable, wifi or both) and you're not getting the speed you think you're paying for it's probably the old equipment.

Get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a Gigabit router, you can even get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem/gateway(router) combo for a few bucks more.

I hope this makes sense, I often wish I had roncar's prowess with computers.

My performance before I upgraded my equiment... :doh:

2692287345.png

and after the upgraded equipment, same connection speed I was paying for all along. :Egyptian:

2765700225.png

~O~

あなただけの一体何を言ったのですか?

Anyone else hear Charlie Brown's mother? "Waa wa waa waw waw waw...." :swoon:
:smilie_happy:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I unnerstand the concept, O-man, but it's still way over my head! Old equipment = old results. My 'puter has a "Fast" ethernet(R45) connection, which will be connected to a wireless router. It(the puter) is not wi-fi capable, so I gotta be plugged in. Don't know what kind/brand/speed router they will supply, but it has to be better than dial-up. Smoke signals are faster than dial-up....and you don't loose the connection as often, either.... :rant:

Thanks for the info, anyway. It'll help someone, no doubt. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84681#p84681:2yelxlvu said:
Omega Man » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm[/url]":2yelxlvu]Joel's internet connection thread got me to thinking, are you getting the most out of your internet connection? Until recently I wasn't. I'm a gamer and have been paying for a top of the line connection but didn't upgrade my equipment to take full advantage of that costly connection, so I was getting only about a 1/3rd of what I was paying for.

The newest modems are DOCSIS 3.0, if your running a black Motorola surfboard(or other brand) that is a few years old it's probably DOCSIS 2.0. Don't ask me what DOCSIS 3.0 or 2.0 means I don't know. If you're like me you have your PC, smart TV and phone connected with wifi or a CAT 5 ethernet cable to a router. There are two kinds of ethernet Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet when we are talking about routers and the home networks they provide. Home networks are made through NIC cards or their equivalent built into the motherboards of your PCs or smart TVs tablets what have you. if I remember correctly the older network speeds are 10/100(Fast Ethernet) and newer are 10/100/1000(Gigabit Ethernet). Your Smart TVs and newer computers are setup for 10/100/1000(Gigabit) the fastest network available to us.

So lets say you're paying for a highspeed internet connection and you have one or more PCs, tablets, smart TVs and phones connected through a router(ethernet cable, wifi or both) and you're not getting the speed you think you're paying for it's probably the old equipment.

Get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a Gigabit router, you can even get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem/gateway(router) combo for a few bucks more.

2692287345.png

and after the upgraded equipment, same connection speed I was paying for all along. :Egyptian:

2765700225.png

~O~

To get the best performance from your gigabit devices, upgrade your cat5 network cables to cat6. Cat6 cables are designed for the faster network devices.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84719#p84719:20nxosgj said:
Steve83 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:11 am[/url]":20nxosgj]It's all good! Remember when (most of) our bikes were new? CDs weren't even invented yet! We've come a long way...
What's a CD??? :hihihi:

Omega Man":30m3gemx said:
I often wish I had roncar's prowess with computers.
While I probably have a higher knowledge of computers than the general masses, I am by no means an expert.

I can however Google with the best of them! :Egyptian:

Any comparisons of numbers has to be apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

Notice how computer memory and harddrive capacities are measured in bytes? Even then a megabyte of memory isn't measured the same as a megabyte on a harddrive.

To confuse everything, network speeds are measured in bits, not bytes (8 bits = 1 byte.) Roughly, if you take your network speed and divide by 10, that would be your speed in bytes per seconds (extra bits are used for the computers to talk to each other.)

It's a confusing world we live in.

I pay for 30 down and 2 up. For some reason the offered upload speeds are much lower than other parts of the country (even the 90 down is coupled with only 10 up.) :Awe:
2768799969.png

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84712#p84712:u7xn6nr0 said:
stanlw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm[/url]":u7xn6nr0]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84681#p84681:u7xn6nr0 said:
Omega Man » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm[/url]":u7xn6nr0]Joel's internet connection thread got me to thinking, are you getting the most out of your internet connection? Until recently I wasn't. I'm a gamer and have been paying for a top of the line connection but didn't upgrade my equipment to take full advantage of that costly connection, so I was getting only about a 1/3rd of what I was paying for.

2692287345.png

2765700225.png

~O~

To get the best performance from your gigabit devices, upgrade your cat5 network cables to cat6. Cat6 cables are designed for the faster network devices.

Is that CAT 6 cable Yellow?

~O~

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=84759#p84759:2gdik71k said:
Omega Man » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am[/url]":2gdik71k]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84712#p84712:2gdik71k said:
stanlw » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm[/url]":2gdik71k]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84681#p84681:2gdik71k said:
Omega Man » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm[/url]":2gdik71k]Joel's internet connection thread got me to thinking, are you getting the most out of your internet connection? Until recently I wasn't. I'm a gamer and have been paying for a top of the line connection but didn't upgrade my equipment to take full advantage of that costly connection, so I was getting only about a 1/3rd of what I was paying for.

2692287345.png

2765700225.png

~O~

Is that CAT 6 cable Yellow?

~O~

Cat 6 can be any color. The wire is heavier and some of the twisted pairs in the cable are wound tighter. The network switch expert we use from the Dallas area advised us at work that using cat5 cable on a gigabit network can cause degradation in network transfer speeds. I'm not smart enough to understand all the 'why-fors', but it must have something to with induction caused by the twisted pairs and heavier wires.... :? :? :?

I need to add to the mix that there are CAT5 and CAT5e cables. CAT5 is limited to 100Mbs whereas CAT5e is designed for up to 1000Mbs. CAT6 is for 1000 Mbs and higher.

All of this is wonderful unless there is one piece of equipment in you system limiting the speed whether a switch, router, modem, cables or ethernet card.

I just checked our connection here at werk..... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

speedtest.JPG

If I can get stuff to u/d-load as quick as it is here, I'm fine. These numbers are crap compared to what youse guys are doin, but....this set-up here at werk is lightning quick. If I was uploading this small image from home, it would take prolly at least a full minute....here, it only took a couple of seconds, if that.
:mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84784#p84784:1ntrs2n5 said:
AApple » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 pm[/url]":1ntrs2n5]I just checked our connection here at werk..... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

file.php

If I can get stuff to u/d-load as quick as it is here, I'm fine. These numbers are crap compared to what youse guys are doin, but....this set-up here at werk is lightning quick. If I was uploading this small image from home, it would take prolly at least a full minute....here, it only took a couple of seconds, if that.
:mrgreen:
I remember those days. I got cable internet AS SOON AS IT WAS AVAILABLE! (3 down and .5 up and I was in heaven.) Cost-wise, at that time, was a wash. Dial-up was $20 + $20 for a second phone line. Cable internet was $39.95. A real no brainer.

So Omega Man, are you saying I can replace this little 8 year old motorola box on my floor with a better modem, I didn't know I could.
I did the test and had about the same reading your old modem had, My tool bar always says 100.0 Mbps, have my internet through verizon, supposed to be the highest speed but it sure seems slow.
Wonder if verizon will send me a new free better modem?
DSCF2239_zps635cae66.jpg

Impressed? :smilie_happy:
It's raining here now might be affecting the speed I will go out and rewax the string tomarrow night after work and test again.lol
Jerry
Did I mention that when I take Stella for a ride around the block it's a 5 mile ride.

Attachments

• speed test.jpg
    speed test.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 214

Latest posts