1987 gl1200 restoration / customized

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my leds installed in the speaker covers today

Attachments

• 0610141908.jpg
    0610141908.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 606
I am still trying to figure out how fast you are going? :popcorn: :smilie_happy:
:good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120800#p120800:1sw2jz0k said:
87 restore » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:37 am[/url]":1sw2jz0k]
no faster than my angel can fly
:moped: :yes:

had a hell of a summer on the ole girl getting ready to strip carbs off and see if it takes care of the float issue

Attachments

• 20141005_125554.jpg
    20141005_125554.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 567
With that beautiful flame job I think you should Hooch that motor and go single carb with early heads and cams with c5. You'll have a true road burning machine. Like Jyd is going to be. Love the paint job there but I'm going plane Jane sleeper mode with Jyd.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138165#p138165:3oculcvo said:
slabghost » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:31 am[/url]":3oculcvo]
Reminder for others that might not know. Jyd = Junk yard dog.

Darn, I thought it stood for Joe's Yueltide Deer ( sort of like Rudolph)!! :smilie_happy:

Holy, flame throwers, Batman.....That bike is smokin'. After I get the "Blue Goose" (82 interstate) running the way she should then I'll be attempting to build a "looker" like this one (unofficially named the Blue Flame....lol)

Excellent job :clapping: :music:

Just saw your bike, VERY NICE, :music: same not caring attitude with mine, being covered with bugs, & road grime. :smilie_happy: But look at the FLUIDS, all clean, up to full mark, & works like new! :salute:

I am in love with this ride! I have mentioned several times I would like to redo my 85 but I have been told it would cost more than it's worth. If you ask me your bike looks better than any newer bikes

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189023#p189023:1qts4tvz said:
Country705 » 10 minutes ago[/url]":1qts4tvz]
I am in love with this ride! I have mentioned several times I would like to redo my 85 but I have been told it would cost more than it's worth. If you ask me your bike looks better than any newer bikes

Whomever told you that the cost to redo your '85 may cost more than it is worth is probably correct; however, you will know what you have. Buying another new-to-you bike also has its financial considerations as well. There is no guarantee that you would not have more or less financial issues with a different bike than the one you have. If people kept tack of what they spent on their rides, a lot would be surprised - they would see that the cost of ownership is probably quite substantial.

My father told me a long time ago that if your vehicle is mechanically sound, in good shape, operating well, you have a maintenance/repair fund of $1000.00 a year and no mortgage (loan), it is more economical to keep what you have and drive/ride it. Takes a lot to spend $1000.00 a year (barring unforeseen breakdowns - happens even with newer vehicles), not mentioning cyclic items such as tires and such that are also covered by this fund. Also allows for upgrades as well.

I was working on my '85 LTD last night. To work on the injector(s), I estimate that the time to remove and replace the injectors including taking off and replacing fairings about 2 hours - not including any bench work. I haven't looked too closely at my 1800, but surmise that it would take me considerably longer. It only took me about 20 minutes to remove and replace one injector on the left side - only had one small cover to remove.

All sorts of issues to be cognizant of. Just my thoughts on your comment. Safe riding. Cheers

I agree with rednaxs. Redo of any vehicle old enough to be paid for will likely cost more than it's worth.But to whom? Compared to? Completely redone these bikes will look as good or better than most new bikes. They are just as dependable or more so than the new bikes. Minus the cost of payments and full coverage insurance.

Case in point - have a 2008 - 1800 that I bought in the fall of 2014. Upgraded the suspension to the Traxion (full monty) suspension front/rear, put chrome rims on (hated cleaning the OEM rims), and had the seat custom fit for myself. 2014 and 2015 riding was fantastic with the upgrades, put some 40,000 KMs on the 1800 that one year. By some standards I did get my monies worth.

I have redid my retirement fiscal model and the 1800 doesn't fit what I want to do/accomplish - the 1200 does. Presently the 1800 has to go. If it sells, someone else will get a well optioned 1800. If it doesn't sell - preserved and into storage for the future. It's paid for so either way works for me.

In the short term - 5 years or so, the '85 LTD will provide excellent touring and daily riding. The costs to date when amortized over a 5 or so year term are not that bad.

I expect 20,000 to 30,000 Kms this year from the 1200 (we'll see how the tires hold up for longevity - have the 1800 with a CT on the rear - no issue with doing the 1200 either).

Just a few more thoughts to share IMHO.

Cheers

Latest posts