MY GL1100 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmartin

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Wanted to introduce myself and not just be a lurker.

I recently sold my Yamaha and was looking for something vintage to tinker with and take longer trips on.
I came across this 1980 GL1100, with 40,000 miles on it. It has some small issues, but run well.
I am not going for a frame off resto, but wanting to get it into nice shape (mechanically and visually) :)
Learning a bunch from this forum and appreciate it.

So far I have repaired the radio wiring and replaced all of the radio push buttons on the circuit board.
Next is to replace the timing belts, thermostat, radiator cap, and check the water pump.
Then I plan on adjusting the valves and syncing the carbs. Hoping to get everything done before the snow finally leaves.

Attachments

• WP_20150119_001.jpg
    WP_20150119_001.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 621
Welcome from Southern California! You have a great starting point for your project! Don't be in too much of a rush, patience is rewarded on these old girls. Enjoy!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141367#p141367:1yxqfpvl said:
gmartin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am[/url]":1yxqfpvl]
So far I have repaired the radio wiring and replaced all of the radio push buttons on the circuit board.

At least ya have your priorities straight! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Welcome to the CGW Forums!! :clapping: Looks like a pretty clean ride. :good:

Mine has the Vetter fairing as well as the bags and trunk. Nice year wing. Lower gearing makes the 80 & 81 models feel spry and sporty. Welcome to the fun.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141404#p141404:ucwdzbbs said:
slabghost » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 am[/url]":ucwdzbbs]
Mine has the Vetter fairing as well as the bags and trunk. Nice year wing. Lower gearing makes the 80 & 81 models feel spry and sporty. Welcome to the fun.
+1

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141371#p141371:3su1no2w said:
Steve83 » Today, 11:39 am[/url]":3su1no2w]
Welcome from Southern California! You have a great starting point for your project! Don't be in too much of a rush, patience is rewarded on these old girls. Enjoy!
Ditto from Euless

Had 2, 81's, one with Vetter fairing, same bag's, trunk, & color, as yours, was my first wing, later another 81 but naked. Sold it to a friend, when I found a standard 84, he still has & loves it. :yes: Welcome from Ohio :wave:

Welcome from Buffalo. I've learned a lot from these folks, They're good people. you remind me of my first cars, get the radio to work so there will be tunes in the driveway while you get it to run.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141476#p141476:1rl8779d said:
kerryb » 42 minutes ago[/url]":1rl8779d]
Welcome from Buffalo. I've learned a lot from these folks, They're good people. you remind me of my first cars, get the radio to work so there will be tunes in the driveway while you get it to run.

Yep, gotta get the important stuff done first :smilie_happy:

I remember doing the same thing on my first car!

Hello and welcome from the great white(and cold) north. I also bought a 1980 GL 1100 from a friend who was the orig owner and it also had only just over 40,000kms on it (that would be about just under 20.000 miles in American). I had the same intentions as you-it ran very well as my buddy took care of it religiously. All I was going to do was replace the radio, windshield, some touch-ups here and there and then VOILA!!! Well here I am four years later, I powder coated the frame, swing-arm, wheels, both stands,brake torsion(or something) bar and even blasted the chrome off the handle bars and coated them too, all in gloss black. I had my body work painted the origional ivory white from the 1970's OPP highway bikes, that is the Ontario Provincial Police for those that do not know. I had the rad resealed and tested, had the gas tank resealed and teasted and...... I could have just cleaned her up and riden for years but as anyone knows once you get the bug you are done for. I am now at the point where I put my engine back in the frame, put my front forks on and am putting my front tire on and doing as much as the front end as possible, starting in about 3 hours. The people on this site are fantastic and I can't wait till I am on the road so I can head to some runs and meet a few. I honestly would have a very bad goose egg on my forehead and a big hole in my wall if it were not for this fine group. So welcome, and don't be embarrassed to ask anything. I've posted some pretty dumb sounding questions throughout this and never once did anyone make me feel as dorky as I felt or even referred to any as stupid or easy to figure out. Enjot your GoldWing and great choice-Ryan.