My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes those are very nice, :yes: the silicon will last forever as far as we are concerned. :hihihi: Not supposed to be affected by the heat, or chemicals of just about any kind. :nea: VERY PRICEY, saw it several years ago at the Dealer's Expo in Indy, before it was moved to Chicago. :good:They were not interested in passing out any length's of it, or i'd have a piece longer than an inch on a key ring :roll: :smilie_happy:

Very nice detail getting those hose protectors chromed Ian :good: :clapping: :salute:

Thanks guys, I get hopefully two new front disc's in about two week when John from wingovations answers my e mail, time enough, I also now have two new side cover raised emblems not a scratch on hem so NOS. Oh yes the little emblems on the cylinder heads, well can't get new ones any where unless they are asking stupid money for them, so I have picked the best of the ones I have and I am going to try and fill the back ground with Blue Enamel so I have to fill up all the small open bits and fire it so how it comes out. :yahoo:

Right oh boys and girls, my work is slowly progressing, I need to blast the engine clean, and due to another discussion in another thred I am getting a bag of 25Kg Soda to blast it with my portable blaster I use.

So I tried painting my Cylinder head badges Go to the ebay link and at $150 below I won't be buying those.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Honda-Hea ... 1761325094

My own badges aren't bad but the paint is crap. So I polished mine to get all the crap off, only I didn't think to well and forgot the layer of stuff that lies on the ally. So I painted them Blue, no primer just the blue, what a jerk, but it proved the theory of how to get the paint in all the little areas like the A's O's and in the very fine line around the badge. So I had the vapour blasted at a place near me for £5.

So this is sort of polished or what paint was on taken off.

badgees 2.jpg

And now after Vapour Blasting, Just add primer etcher and paint. I will post some pics of the finished result.

badgees 3.jpg

So I painted the rocker cover badges, but didn't have a lot of luck. see pic 1

blue no undercoat crap..jpg

So I got the badges vapour blasted.

Bages vapour blasted.jpg

Now this time a etching primer. This is seriously rubbish ally

dabges blue new.jpg

So ready for clear coat after rubbing the face with first 400 grit then 1000 grit

ready for clear.jpg

After the clear like a numb nut I went and dropped one transferring it to somewhere safe :head bang: :head bang: :rant:

finished but not happey.jpg

So I may yet do it again have to wait and see. I would have liked a more pearl effect I have loads of pearl powder so just get them blasted yet again, or maybe use some others .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167803#p167803:3sj2b3en said:
Denver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 am[/url]":3sj2b3en]
Have never had the patience to do as nice a job as that. :roll: Looks great from here! :good:
+1
Nice job as always Ian, shame about the slippery fingers :doh:

ah well I know you have to look close to see it, but I know it's there, that's my problem. I don't know how Honda does it, but can't be much different. But I would like to see their process.

I have since rubbed the "clear coat" off the aluminium bits around the edge and the tops of the letters and it looks 100% better. So my method, if you need to do this yourself, I would get them vapour blasted or soda blasted as it won't damage the badge, make sure you clean it off first, I use latex throw away gloves and Acetone with paper towels and some ear buds to get in between the letters if you want to, I just soaked the badges to get rid of grease and fatty acid your hands give off, once clean I pushed the badges into some polystyrene, (it doesn't work too well) I would recommend some sort of box that will hold the badge pins. So then a rattle can coat of primer etcher, this is a must.

So as happen to have an air brush system here and I use Wicked colours for my paint, water based, mixed a small amount and cut it 50% with their High performance reducer. They are small bottles about 60ml and don't cost a lot of money. so spray the whole thing (in this case) blue or whatever colour you like, I also mixed in some sparkling pearl powder (not much sparkle). Let is dry at east 24 hours and the again some rattle can clear I have two coats, allow 15 minutes between coats, wet the second coat put em somewhere safe and let them dry for two days, now you can start rubbing the paint off the raised letters and the exterior, I used Abranet 240 to take off the clear, then 600 and then on to a thousand Looks great better than in the last photos. :lol:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167904#p167904:1vjoc0bz said:
Denver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:37 pm[/url]":1vjoc0bz]
If patience is a virtue, your a _ _ cking saint :smilie_happy:

If my first wife read that she would highly disagree. But as she ain't my problem any more (don't speak too soon) but the bitch still wants to make my life as sweet as salt. I would be happy to do a deal at the crossroads if I could get her down there and under my personal control eternity ain't long enough for her. Still so I just took a pic of what they look like now.

Enjoy.

DSC_2520.jpg

Latest posts