My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today just tested the water fan switch :good: , Oils pressure switch :good: and Thermostat :good:

Another step forwards, all I need to do now is start running. :smilie_happy:

Hi all, if you look at the new pics, this is where I am ready for the first of the top coat, I had a stencil made of the Norton/Honda logo. The first time I tried this it came out not right. I want the logo to be a ghost figure in the paint. Because I used a Black base coat it just didn't come out the way I wanted. So ripped it all of took me about 2 days to get rid of the logo as every time I sprayed it with grey primer, the primer reacted with the paint of the logo. So it was a case of rub down re paint undercoat, crap let it dry and rub down the logo.

I had to do this 4 times as any tiny bit of the logo paint would react, what a PITA job. However, I now have the fake tank side panels in grey primer and the Honda logo in base coat Sparkling Silver. It has dried for 2 days and I have just rubbed it down with 2000 and 2500 grit wet and dry to flare in the edges without damaging and rubbing all the logo away.

So now I am praying for warm and windless conditions so I can get the guns out and get the Cherry Black on it. 3 fine coats should do it, then it will be down to the top coats, I will also use a sandy ruby red dye in one of the top coats just to give it some depth.

Getting close now to our trip to the states, Canton South Dakota here we come. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Logo1.jpg

logo2.jpg

I managed to get some paint on the covers, but on one fake tank side I had the paint lift and crinkle :rant: . so it is going to be another get the paint off and put the paint back on. I feel like the karate kid, wipe on wipe off. One thing for sure I am getting some experience with the air brush and the spray gun. NO runs! :yahoo: how about that, that is a first.

So what did I do wrong this time. I had a nice even coat of grey primer. it was even and flat. my Honda logo in silver was looking good see the pics above. That was later to bite me in the AR*E.
First off one lite coat of the interference Black/Cherry Looks great only it is far too red? :head bang: . Well dick head here didn't lay down a base coat of BLACK :doh: whoops, also my nice logo has disappeared too :rant:

So it is back to the stage one, get rid of the paint that is on (stripper) with a bit of luck I will get a coat or two of primer on, then a cover of my black first. make sure it is equal all over, let it dry out maybe two days hopefully I will have time to then do my logo, this time I will go for a white colour and then the interference cherry over that, 3 light coats.

I will be putting on a stopper coat of clear a second coat of clear with some perl mixed in + 2 coats of clear the first one of these will get dried out and rubbed down to get shot of any Orange peel.

Bloody hate this bike right now. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :crying:

You are the last person I would figure getting frustrated and impatient. This has been going on for three years. Job would be envious.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172758#p172758:228p1xnw said:
wedoo2 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:24 pm[/url]":228p1xnw]
You are the last person I would figure getting frustrated and impatient. This has been going on for three years. Job would be envious.

Jeeze your right, but it sat in my lock up garage for a year. so strictly 2 years. My biggest problem is my wife, she won't let me spray in the house when it is cold, or too warm either so I am a bit dependant on the weather. So yes I have even for me an amazing aptitude for patience, I don't know where I got it from, wasn't from my Dd or my Mom. So I can only say I have mellowed with age :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172768#p172768:3pa688y6 said:
slabghost » May 2nd, 2016, 2:43 pm[/url]":3pa688y6]
Age gives a bit different perspective on things. Now whatever I do will get done someday.

That's right. I have been on a break from my bike for over two weeks, but it is time I got back on the horse. The break was good and I stopped waking up in the morning thinking about it. I've been able to tend to my yard and have worked my arse off and it has felt good. Actually lost 8 pounds in the process. Age is a beautiful thing. (except for the BHP, less sex, aching muscles and impending death. Otherwise ok)

So what a great trip to the states to see my new to me family. It was just as though we had known every body from day one 64 years ago, me being the eldest and all. I am so glad that they found me, I have a great family and great friends made through them. The eldest sisters boys are both in the Army, the whole family seems to have been in one arm or another except the NAVY. So now back home I have been so miserable, so I bought my self a birthday present of a "Chinese" version of a Honda CB200 engine that is called over here an AJS EOS custom bike. It is 125CC but they also make a 350 and the only difference between the two are the cylinders and the pistons, stroke, heads and cams are the same. So at least I have something to ride a while before winter sets in.

Okay so I need to take the timing belt rings off the cylinder heads, I have made a tool to accomplish this, but I don't know if the bolts are left or right hand? So I am looking at the front of the engine. The first tool I made wasn't lets say big enough so whenever I turned on the bolt the tool slipped off. So before I break anything which way do I turn left or right?

So the AJS is sweet. :good: :BigGrin:

AJS.jpg

My biggest problem is my wife, she won't let me spray in the house when it is cold, or too warm either so I am a bit dependant on the weather.

What are you using for reducers (thinners). Paint lifting can be caused by primers or wrong reducers. Are you using a catalyst with the paint?

Long past that, I can get outside in the next few days, but my big problem is getting the timing belt pulley's off and I don't know which way the bolts turn left or right hand? I made a tool just like the Honda tool to do the job, but mine wasn't big enough so had to make another one. But the bolts are well on and I don't want to break the heads off. So are they left hand threads or right hand threads?

Any that i've taken off, are of the typical type of thread, :yes: left loosen, right tighten. :hihihi:

Latest posts