my 78

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I'd love to see more pics of the seat that is on your newest bike. It looks pretty sweet from what I can see, but I'm only seeing it in pieces.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181104#p181104:3neee9qp said:
MobtownMatt » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:16 pm[/url]":3neee9qp]
Also, I'd love to see more pics of the seat that is on your newest bike. It looks pretty sweet from what I can see, but I'm only seeing it in pieces.

I just got up.I work nights.Either afterwhile or tomorrow I am going to retake all the photos but turn the phone different so maybe they will be straight.And for sure i will let you know where the fuse box is.This wiring stuff scares me to death.And yes, I love the way he did the seat.I will post many pictures.Ya'll are like me, you learn a lot about things and get ideas by looking at pictures.

20160924_135456.jpg
20160922_161542.jpg

under wiring section I posted several more pictures.many connectors are dangling in the breeze.Most are white,one is pink.Most are bullet connecotrs.I thought if you found a male green,brown,black,white,red wire there should be a corresponding femakle wire to plug it into.He also changed from the ugly bigstalk signals to small ones, the same with the tailight.He also changed from the stock mufflers to megaphones.This bike is going to be awesome.But I need lots of help figuring out where these wires go, and possibly some of them dont need connecting at all.The 78 is unique that it has a dash with 3 instruments on it.The fuel gauge is the ony one i care about, but if all can be made to work great.My phone battery died.One member here wanted to see seat pictures.Once its recharged I will post.Dang, its 91 with index of 100.I am tired of this heat.View attachment 1

All.of that is the same on mine. This box on mine is inside.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181182#p181182:2l4jxixb said:
MobtownMatt » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:31 pm[/url]":2l4jxixb]
And I was hoping to see the ENTIRE seat. Haha.

I know brother.My phone is recharging.I will post several pics for you after a bit.

well the weather is nice and i can't seem to sell anything so I am going to try to get my better 78 going.I know the tank is rusty.My rear tire is junk so I have to take loose the rearend anyway.I dont intend putting the tire on, shocks,anything i dont have to until i get the tank out, get it clean, and find out if the engine is ok.plus the carbs have sat for a year so i imagine they are full of junk.If I had some remote tank it would be easier all around to do this.I dont want to go buy one of those remote tanks that hangs on a pole just to find out.But if all checks out and it runs then it should be much easier to sell.I wont ride it since the belts are not changed.plus it wouldnt be rideable anyway with the tire and not cleaning the carbs.I am going to post a bike here, see what you think.A guy had one for $1000 with new tires,carbs cleaned,perfect running order.Wish i could have bought that.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5791591512.html

Gas can or spare mower tank will do for testing. If one tank is relatively clean you can just swap tanks.

I only have off tomorrow,might spend some time working on my goodest 78.Then I will be gone to wyoming for a week.I bet its cold up there.75 degrees here.Beautiful.Anyhow,I will soon find out if either of my motors are ok.If so, I will press on.I realy want to buy the cl bike i posted here.He has 1 gasket leaking,one around the carbs somewhere,not the head gasket.He rode it yesterday.The nearly perfect one for 1000 didnt last long.Anyhow, if i wind up getting this bike working for one it will sell easier and two I probably would keep it and ride it more than the harley.But all I have read I really want to go to a single carb setup.probably make a pvc manifold.A weber/carter carb I hear is a chinese weber copy.I have heard the vw solex pct was ok.But a problem
is not having a heated circuit to carbs other than a weber.But the weber carb and manifold is as much as i paid for the bike.I wont spend that unless i owned a really nice bike.The randakk kit is superior if i stayed with stock carbs, but i dont feel too confident getting those clean and working right.Plus it costs $178.1.How does one get heat to a carb setup.2.if no heat is there, does it make the bike just take a long time to run up and get off the choke?I think pvc would cost about $20 plus I found pcts for $75.

I was just googling fat bob tanks.Way too much conversion work.But one guy bought a 79 for 600, really made a sweet looking bike out of it.It looked like it had a stock shelter.There is so much possibility with these bikes.If I had the harley sold and nothing to ride it would suck.So maybe its good it hasnt sold while i work on buying or fixing one that is rideable.I also found a 1500 here for only $1750.Now those are not made naked and after owning 3 of them they are like riding in a cadillac,especially with their cruise control.

But, the downside is they are 850 pounds.being stuck in traffic like i am here is crummy with all that weight.

decisions decisions.

if a carb matches motor good and is dialed in good there is no need for heat ....heat is a band aid to carb not dialed in good ..in fact i go the other way and keep heat from getting to the induction system ....huge power in cold charge dial in good set up

I would encourage you to go towards the 34 pict 3. Your $95-100 estimate is right on. I did the same conversion and would do it again without question. In fact, if I came across another really good local deal on an Oldwing that "needs carb work" I would buy it and put a pict on it.

I would be happy to help you through the conversion since I just completed mine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181687#p181687:39uywa70 said:
fivestring » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:22 am[/url]":39uywa70]
I would encourage you to go towards the 34 pict 3. Your $95-100 estimate is right on. I did the same conversion and would do it again without question. In fact, if I came across another really good local deal on an Oldwing that "needs carb work" I would buy it and put a pict on it.

I would be happy to help you through the conversion since I just completed mine.

when the time comes i definitely want to get in touch with you.Here is how i see it.performance on a carb motor has always had the same key.Want more horsepower but cant increase displacement add more fuel and more air flow.in addition increase compression by making the chamber configuration different as in hemispherical.we cant do that.But 4 carbs is deemed more gas flow than 1, but that is 1975 technoloogy.many people are getting rich rebuilding those from their companies, selling expensive kits and parts.But simplify, make an efficient way less complex system makes sense to me.Perhaps off the line performance might be less but fixability with a single system makes repair within many more peoples ability.

I have an original double bucket seat on my parts bike and a custom seat on the other one,sort of cafe style.I was going to heavily customize my 78 if i keep it.But I copied a restored one from barber museum and i think I will go restore instead of restomod.I doubt i can match the blue paint exactly.But it will look pretty good if I do this.I really do not like the king and queen seat.The barber bike has a flat seat.Did any of the 78's have a flat seat?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181780#p181780:3pparn8k said:
joedrum » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:42 pm[/url]":3pparn8k]
yes.....

that windshield will be one nonstock item i will have.The wind beats you to death without one.What brand is that,rifle?