'81 1100 Standard - Restore and Sell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186866#p186866:3fykd3fc said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 pm[/url]":3fykd3fc]
:From gas leaking onto the engine, some of the engine paint is damaged. We have most of the stuff off the engine now and we need to drop the exhaust because the seals are leaking, so we are think of dropping the engine and giving the engine of the old girl a fresh coat of paint.

Changed my mind. With a bit of gasoline and carb cleaner, I was able to get the engine fairly clean with only a small amount of paint damage showing and that will be under the carbs anyway. Pulling the engine is easy enough, but maybe a step too far for reselling.

Busy weekend working on the bike. We were able to finish cleaning the radiator, expansion tank (interior and exterior), pull the valve covers, adjust the valves, replace the valve cover seals both on the covers and the bolts, cleaned and gapped the plugs, checked the plugs wires to be sure they are good.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

There was still some gas in the bottom of the tank. The pickup screen is clean and clear of debris, but the gas is kinda green. Pulled the petcock and blew air into each line and both are clear. Got a siphon pump hooked up to the barb on the petcock and sucked the gas out via the reserve pickup.

It is older gas, but not the rotten smelling stuff that was there the first time I looked at the bike in 2015. Gas came out real easy. Flushed some new gas through and there doesn't seem to be any debris in the tank.

The fuel filter is shot as well as the gas lines. That gas hose was hard as a rock and split as soon as I bent it over. I have a new filter, but need to get fuel hose and clamps.

image.php

Started the carb cleaning process. First, pull the intakes off, then linkage, then split the plenum. Next, pull the individual carbs. I have layed out containers for each carb. We will be dismantling and cleaning one at a time.

image.php

image.php

image.php

Opening up #4:

image.php

#4 primary jet might be a bit clogged? :hihihi: :doh:

image.php

I was not able to get the idle jet out with either an easy out or drywall screw. I dropped the carb into Chem Dip to soak for a while to get the worst junk off.

image.php

Some of the other parts have been placed into the new ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water and a bit of Dawn.

image.php

Check out the cleaning action just 1 minute into the process:

image.php

Round one! Ten minutes of cleaning:

image.php

Once these parts are done, I am moving one half of the plenum in as is with no advanced cleaning. I want to see how well this device will clean this up with just heat, water and Dawn.

image.php

I am officially impressed with this little ultrasonic cleaner! It was well worth the $88 bucks! :clapping:

Look at how the plenum halves turned out with only 15 minutes each in the mix of hot distilled water, an ounce of Dawn dish washing soap and the ultrasonic waves with no pre-treatment:

image.php

image.php

image.php

I soaked the #4 carb body and bowl for 1 hour in the Chem-Dip. I was then able to pull the idle jet out. All into the machine for 15 minutes and look at the results:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

I checked each passage with a can of carb cleaner and everything is clear and smooth. I am impressed! :yes: :yahoo:

This will be a great bike for some lucky person. As always great work Gerry. :hi:

Thanks Tony!

Today, Colleen washed the bike and shined up the chrome and polished aluminum. This bike is looking great! (Unfortunately, it is starting to make my poor '82 look sad) :crying:

Nothing like have all of the painted parts OEM paint that looks factory new next to my rattle can paint job and pep gurls pin striping. :Awe:

I had to head out before I could get pics, but will surely get some Sunday. We have one more carb to clean and it is looking like we should replace the float needles and seats. They have a ring impressed into the rubber point that I do not think is going to seal correctly. I could try grinding the rubber with paste, but I am not comfortable with the way they look.

Having a second bike same or very close to the one you ride all the time is a bonus depending on your situation. Here in BC Canada, I can insure two collector bikes for $600.00 a year, way cheaper than one newer bike at $1600.00. I was talking to the better half the other night and we talked about the second '85 LTD I am going to resurrect and drive out here this coming fall. She wanted to know why I wanted to have a second one on the road - answer was simple - so I would have a bike on the road at all times knowing that I will work on one or the other to do maintenance, upgrades, repairs, etc. Since it takes time to do the work, having a second one on the road is priceless.

My father was always of the opinion that if you have a mortgage free vehicle in good shape body and mechanical wise, spending a $1000.00 a year to maintain and upkeep this vehicle was more cost effective than buying a new one. It is even difficult sometimes to spend a $1000.00 a year on your vehicle.

I too think that Gerry should keep this second one, too much time and effort going into it. Once it is on the road, he can take the '82 out of service and dish the '82 up so it is sparkling.

Everyone needs a project. Gerry has given me some good ideas from this thread. I'm going to plug an ultrasonic cleaner to my siblings so they can get me one for my birthday - I'll give them the specifics so I get what I want.

Cheers

Carb cleaning is finished! :yahoo:

I posted this in the ultrasonic thread, but it is worth putting it here too. The ultrasonic cleaner does a fantastic job at breaking up almost all of the hard stuff. But there are still some areas of the carb that need to be checked and cleaned. The acc jet in each carb is a tough one since it faces back inward and you really cannot see if it is clear. Spraying carb cleaner through the small cross tube port (which connects the acc circuits) will let you know it it is clogged.

I found that using a small safety pin stretched out and then curled back again to be the easiest way to clear the jet. I only "poke" a pinhole in the clog and then spray carb cleaner from the passage to blow the clog out.

image.php

image.php

Carb cleaning is done, but we cannot assemble because we are still waiting on parts; accelerator pump and a float valve screen. :cheeky:

So....the new fuel lines showed up from https://www.wingovations.com/ (Thanks again John!) I decided to try a small cleaning of the gas tank. It looks pretty good, but I did not want any varnish to suddenly show up and clog anything. So, I poured the can of Chem-Dip into the tank, dropped the bike off the centerstand and gave it a good swishing! :hihihi:

Let the Chem-Dip sit for an hour and then pumped it out via the reserve tank suction. Poured in 1 gallon of gasoline and swished again. Pumped that gas out via the reserve suction and it came out nice and clean. I am confident the tank is ready. Installed the new gas hoses, clamps and filter. Just need the carbs! :builder:

Tested the fork seals and air in the front. Pumped up to 12 lbs, while holding the front brakes, I pushed the bike up and down. The gauge on the pump followed nicely and held the air. Waited a few hours and checked again, so far so good.

The only work remaining is to drop the exhaust to replace the exhaust washers/seals, pull the rear wheel to check the splines and gear oil, clean the stator plug connection and then install a battery. Once the carbs are done, we will be ready to fire up and ride! :yahoo:

Leak testing finished. Did a bench sync and set the Pilot Air needles to 1 1/4 turns each. Installed the carbs on the bike and it is time to fire up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWSAkkOXlM

That was a great first start!! No adjustment yet and she fired up instantly! :party: :yahoo:

Man oh man! No complaints there! :Egyptian:

This is my first carb rebuild project and I am pretty darned happy with that result. :yes:

We stopped filming right away because the right side valve cover started leaking oil pretty heavy. Dumb aftermarket valve covers. I have new OEM seal on them and it is just a tad big. The bottom front corner pinched and popped out. Pulled the cover and re-seated the seal. Cleaned up the oil and started again. Let the bike run until the fan came on (which it did!) and burned all of the excess gas and oil out of the pipes and off the engine. Set up a fan to get rid of the smoke screen. :hihihi:

Shutdown to look for any leaks and none found. Went to start up now it is warmed up and it was little harder. Once running, I put a volt meter on and found no voltage increase from the stator. :cheeky:

I have not cleaned the stator plug yet or the RR plug. That will be next. Here is a video after being warmed up. Again, no sync yet and no adjustments to the pilot air screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTL2HsHjiZ8